Anyone want to join me in the NCSS 10 day sleep plan challenge? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2005, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have read the book and have attempted to follow my sleep plan several times, but have never followed through. After participating in the live chat with Elizabeth Pantley on mommychats this week, I have a renewed sense of determination- and I'm just exhausted and needing more sleep!

But, I sure would like to take this journey with some others, so I'll be accountable and have to follow through..any takers?

Yesterday I did my nap log and night-waking log to use as a jumping off point.

Here were my results:

Nap Log:

Naps she should be getting: 3
Naps she is getting: 4
Hours she should be napping: 4-5
Hours she is napping: 2 hours, 45 min.
No formal nap routine
No consistent naptime, but consistent length of 45 minutes each

Night waking log:

Asleep time: 7:40
Awake time: 55 minutes
Total # of awakenings: 9
Longest sleep span: 2 hours
Total hours of sleep: 11.5

I'm off to write my sleep plan and start following it today. I'll post it when I get a chance. I'd for someone to join me on this journey! If you're interested, please list your sleep plan and your starting out log and let's touch base daily with how it's going...if we aren't too tired!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2005, 02:43 PM

I'm in! I have to reread my book though. I'll do that today and tomorrow we'll begin. I'm tired and desperate! I'll be back to report my current situation shortly.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:07 PM

I have to get the book, though (almost have it memorized from taking it out from the library). Can certainly start with the logs! My dd is a great napper, and we have a great daytime routine, but the nighttime wakings are well into the double digits...

Let's post the ages of our DCs as well.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:39 PM

I want in just as soon as I get my copy in the mail.

Mom to Iris and Henry
Old 02-16-2005, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using my library copy!

Kate is 5 months.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:23 PM

I'd love to do this with you! However, ds is sick with a cold that keeps him up coughing, so I don't think this is the best time for us to start.
When he's feeling better, I hope I can still participate.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:35 PM

I'd love to try - and will get the book back out from the library and start the logs today. But - I'm sceptical of any success b/c we will be travel through different time zones near the end of the month. But - doing this with a group will probably be the only thing that will get me started! LOL My DS is 4.5 months - I don't have a nap or sleep log, but know that his longest stretch is 4 hours. Naps are my big concern b/c I know he isn't getting enough sleep during the day...

Thanks for starting this!
Heather
Old 02-16-2005, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well, Kate is on her 4th nap for the day...40 min, 1 hour, 30 minutes, ? who knows how long this will last- probably the typical 40 minutes...I really would like to stretch them out....

I'm trying to get her to nap without her paci, but to no avail. I've been too beat to try the gentle removal today..I have been slinging her and trying different ways to get her to nap, though. I tried the removal last night and she did sleep 1 3 hour stretch, so I'll continue doing that tonight. It's easier to do it when she's breastfeeding at night because I'm right there and comfortable. I've been too tired to stand at her crib and remove the paci as she's falling asleep. But tomorrow is another day.

Hope everyone's night goes well!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:49 PM

What book? :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 02-16-2005, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solutions
Old 02-16-2005, 08:59 PM

Duh!!!

I am slow today...

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 02-16-2005, 10:56 PM

Just wanted to say Good Luck!!! I think it is a great book and many of the methods have worked for me, especially the Pull off and just moving away from my daughter a bit...she seems to like to stretch out now I may join in next week when the schedule is not so hectic! Really need to work on getting her to lay down drowsy but awake.
Again Best wishes!
Old 02-17-2005, 12:28 PM

I'm getting the book later today (so don't have all the "shoulds" here, but I will post yesterday's log:

Arta (4.5 mo.)

Nap Log:
Naps she should be getting: 3
Naps she is getting: 3
Hours she is napping: 3
Naps every 2-3 hours, VERY formal nap routine

Night waking log :
Asleep time: 7:15 pm
Awake time: 1 hour
Total # of awakenings: 9/10
Longest sleep span: 2.5 hours
Total hours of sleep: 11

Fight with DH over sleep routine: 1 big one!
Old 02-17-2005, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Cancat, Please share your nap routine-I've tried but I just can't seem to make one stick.

DH and I have lots of heated "discussions" about dd's sleep, or lack thereof...

Day 1 of Sleep Plan results:

Sleeping is about the same
Napping is about the same
Cannot get her to nap/sleep without paci
Was too tired to use the gentle removal last night
Still exhausted

Old 02-17-2005, 02:32 PM

We'll try to start tomorrow! I'm almost finished with the book (been almost finished for a couple of months now) and need something to get me motivated. Dd has been going to sleep as late as 12am, not napping and waking up allll night long! If I could establish some sort of routine for her, I think that would help. Routines are so hard for me, I can't tell you what I'm doing until 5 minutes before I'm doing it!
Old 02-17-2005, 03:37 PM

[QUOTE=leomom]Cancat, Please share your nap routine-I've tried but I just can't seem to make one stick.

Sure thing! First of all, it's very cheat-y in that I haven't gotten to putting her down awake yet (don't want to screw up a good thing!).

Basically, I figured out that Arta gets cranky every 2-3 hours, and that cranky = sleepy. Nothing makes her happy, and she starts to rub her eyes, and kind of close them a little. Immediately I go to OUR BED lay her down, and either nurse her, or use the paci (see, I cheat), or encourage her use her thumb, etc. Then, after a few minutes of sleep, I tiptoe away (but now that she's rolling, I put her in the crib usually). Because she didn't fall asleep literally IN MY ARMS, she doesn't notice my absence as much. If your baby wakes up during the transfer to the crib, you could always just do the same thing on the floor! I mean, a nap is a nap, right?

She used to sleep only 30 minutes, but I lengthened the naps by:
1. lots of physical activity after nap (practicing rolling, knocking over blocks, etc)
2. getting her used to longer naps by taking her for hour-long strolls at nap-time, and by having "quiet time" if she woke up too early.

Also, I am fairly religious about the naps - if we're out for a stroll during nap time, I don't come home until at least 45 minutes are up.

It's a completely horrible CIO book, but Weissbluth's "Healthy sleep habits, Healthy babies" has very good information about how long babies are usually awake at what age, and how many naps they might need. Just please ignore any advice he gives!

Completely OT, but Arta just fussed and was quiet - I went up to our bedroom and our cat had curled up next to her feet (forgot to move her to the crib) I think he settled her back down again! Too bad I just can't toss him in the crib with her! (just kidding).
Old 02-17-2005, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=cancat]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom
Cancat, Please share your nap routine-I've tried but I just can't seem to make one stick.

Sure thing! First of all, it's very cheat-y in that I haven't gotten to putting her down awake yet (don't want to screw up a good thing!).

Basically, I figured out that Arta gets cranky every 2-3 hours, and that cranky = sleepy. Nothing makes her happy, and she starts to rub her eyes, and kind of close them a little. Immediately I go to OUR BED lay her down, and either nurse her, or use the paci (see, I cheat), or encourage her use her thumb, etc. Then, after a few minutes of sleep, I tiptoe away (but now that she's rolling, I put her in the crib). Because she didn't fall asleep literally IN MY ARMS, she doesn't notice my absence as much.

She used to sleep only 30 minutes, but I lengthened the naps by:

1. lots of physically activity after nap (practicing rolling, knocking over blocks, etc)
2. getting her used to longer naps by taking her for hour-long strolls at nap-time, and by having "quiet time" if she woke up too early.

Also, I am fairly religious about the naps - if we're out for a stroll during nap time, I don't come home until at least 45 minutes are up.

oops, gotta go as naptime is up...will post more later!
Thank you for sharing! I love the idea of getting her used to longer naps. Have you noticed any pattern in when naptime is, or do you just wait for her to get cranking and then start your walk? I've been walking her right before naptime and getting home right about the time she'd usually get tired (1.5 hours) and putting her down. Then she sleeps about 45 minutes. Maybe for the second nap I'll try walking DURING it for an hour!
Old 02-18-2005, 12:55 PM

OK. I'm back and not doing so hot so far. In the middle of the night I am to tired to write down all the times she wakes up. I also fall back and don't wake uo until she's whimpering because my nipple fell out of her mouth.

Here's our info.-

Ella is 9 months old.

Naps should be 2.5-4 hours
Currently are about 2 hours per day
Night time sleep should be 11-12 hours
Currently 9.5-10

Should be getting 14 hours total
Is getting 12

We are tired around here. We start off the night with Ella in the crib next to our bed. She usually wakes once or twice before I come to bed. I get her up and nurse her out on the couch where my dh and I are usually watching television. Usually when we go to bed around 11pm she wakes and comes to bed with us and wakes at least 5 to 6 more times through out the night. My dh wakes for work around 5:30 and the sound of him getting up and showering usually wakes her up and she is up for the day around 6:30. I am feeling like she would sleep better in her own room, but the only room there is for her is a loft style room. I was thinking about making a curtain to cover the half of the wall that looks down into the great room, but I don't know if I want her by herself. That room is upstairs with the other bedrooms and our bedroom is downstairs, so if it doesn't help her to sleep better, it will just be more trips for me, stumbling up and down the stairs in the middle of the night.

I don't know what I should do....
Old 02-18-2005, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Andrea, you do know that you only write down times every 10 days as a point of reference, right?

Also, I was thinking maybe it might help if you nurse her in your quiet room instead of in the tv room...Pantley suggests making things "middle of the night" like once they've gone to bed. Just a thought...

Have you tried the suggestions of moving her away from you after nursing and possibly turning your back? Don't know if this would help or not...

Well, Kate was up off/on from 2-4 this morning with teething pains. :

She DID give me 2 three hour stretches last night, though. I usually only get one.

I've been following my sleep plan well, but the removal thing in the middle of the night is rarely happening, as I can't seem to stay awake?!?
Old 02-19-2005, 12:57 AM

Ok - I still haven't re-read the book, so I may not have all the info I should have. Regardless, here is what I've noticed in the last two days:

Naps Day 1:
9 - 9:30 = 30 minutes
11 - 12 = 1 hour YEAH!
2:15 - 2:50 = 35 minutes

Night Day 1:
7 - 9:15 = 2 1/2 hours
then I fell asleep with him, and couldn't stay awake during the night to figure out the rest! ACK!!! I vaguely remember seeing the clock around 12 and 2, but don't remember if there were more times or not. I do know that he woke up for the day (like wanted to play - nothing was getting him back to sleep) around 4 or 4:30 AM!

Today so far his naps look like this:

Naps Day 2:
8 - 8:20 = 20 minutes (after being up from 4:30 or so)
10 - 11:25 = 1 hour 25 minutes
2:30 - 3:30 = 1 hour
6 - 6:25 = 25 minutes

Night Day 2
I put him down at 8 PM, and haven't heard a peep yet.

I have gotten long night stretches out of him voluntarily (6 - 8 hours depending). I think my real concern is that 1) he isn't getting enough sleep - but I need to calculate the night hours to be sure of this; 2) he is waking us up too darn early in the morning!

I love the nap routine in a PP. I've been incredibly lax about naps b/c I'm trying to get some work tasks done from home (part of my extended maternity includes me doing some telecommuting tasks), so it ends up being easier for me to let him nurse to sleep and then keep him on the boppy in front of me to keep him asleep as long as possible. But, these short frequent naps can't be good for him - he gets tired again so quickly. I'd love to extend his naps, so I think I'll try some of the above nap ideas and report back in a few days...

Heather
Oh - btw - DS is 4.5 months
Old 02-19-2005, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

3 Naps:

9:15-9:45
1:00-1:45
3:30-3:40

Bedtime: 7:30

Typical nightwaking.
10:30, 12:30, 2:30, 4:15...stayed up until 5 again...no teething this time, just restlessness....6:20...up for the day at 7:30.....ugh...... :
Old 02-19-2005, 05:28 AM

this seems perfect! i was just going to ask the mamas on here how much success they have had with the book and it's solutions. i have a one month old ds and have read enough of the book (started yesterday and got to the 10 day implement plan part, i think it's ch. 7) so i'm ready to get started. i didn't do any sleep logs partly becuase i think he's too yound to have any sleep (nap) routine down yet. he still sleeps most the day. but i guess i could try. what do you gals think? should i even try to get him on a nap schedule already? the book says 1 mo. olds typically nap 3 times a day. i thought it would be pointless to try, but am open to suggestions. maybe someone here with a newborn has had it work for them? anyways, i thought what i would be doing more, with these suggestions is trying to keep ds from getting the habit of needing to nurse to sleep or be rocked to sleep which is what i did up until tonight. he has had a month of this and is used to it already, but i think he is still young enough that it isn't a deeply engrained habit. so i'll definitly check in like the rest of you and report my progress. it really feels good to have a plan that will work and doesn't include leaving him to cry.

just thought i would mention that ds went to the doc today and i asked what i should do to keep ds from getting used to being nursed or rocked to sleep so he can learn to fall asleep on his own. and you can probably guess what he said. "definitly don't rock him to sleep. provided that he doesn't fall asleep nursing. put him down awake in his crib." And if he crys i asked? " let him cry until he falls asleep so that he can learn that he needs to go to sleep. you can give him a pacifier to help him, but don't pick him up. when he's 6 mo. you can take the pacifier away, and not nurse him during the night anymore, and if he starts crying sessions let him cry again until he falls asleep on his own." this made me so sad. of course i wasn't going to follow his advice. but can you believe doing this to a newborn baby? they're sooo little! i don't know when it's more creul. making a tiny baby cry so much? or an older infant who has there habits more engrained and will fight more and probably therefore cry more? maybe we should give more ped. offices a copy of the NCSS book?
Old 02-19-2005, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

oh cynthia, that makes me so sad. i'd like to have a talk with your pedi!

as for your 1 month old, if i could go back, i wouldn't start a paci. so if you can just work on helping dc fall asleep without nursing or a paci......slowly b/c you have tons of time....i think you'll be ahead of the game. i wouldn't worry about the 3 nap thing, i think all nbs sleep on and off all day. enjoy those snuggles!
Old 02-19-2005, 07:22 PM

in mho if you don't mind nursing or rocking or bouncing or whatever to sleep then those "rules" don't apply to you.

Mom to Iris and Henry
Old 02-19-2005, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Nannymom, the book has absolutely no rules. It's not that kind of book. It just suggests practicing a gentle removal method of nipple to help your child break the sucking to sleep association. Absolutely no cyring or upsetting the baby, just slow and gentle "weaning" I guess for lack of better term so that your child will sleep longer and not want to suck back to sleep from nightwakings.

I hate pacis, so I was just suggesting that Cynthia try to be strong and refrain from using one. Because my dd takes one at every nap now, and it's proving to be very difficult to break that pattern, especially because I refuse to let her cry.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:37 PM

Sorry not to have posted, but Arta has a cold, and I think we'll have to wait on the sleep plan for a few days. She's so snotty and snoring during the night, it sounds awful.

BUT, we put the humidifier on, and that seems to have lessened the night wakings.

A little
Old 02-20-2005, 01:59 PM

Hi everyone. Well I followed the advice yesterday to nurse Ella in the darkened room where she will be sleeping, rather than the tv room. She took an hour and a half long afternoon nap. Our bedtime routine was thrown out of wack because we had dinner guests, so we didn't have the time to follow our routine, and she went down an hour late. She woke up when we went to bed and the when I tried to put her back into the crib she just popped right back up, so into bed with us she came. She nursed all night long and then woke up around 3:30 and wanted to party. Finally at 4:45, I was so frustrated I put her into the crib where she just sat and jabbered and finally started to cry. I picked her back up and brought her back into our bed and she nursed back to sleep until 7:30.

She just went down for her first nap around 15 minutes ago, so hopefully she'll sleep for at least an hour. I feel like once this front tooth cuts through she'll sleep better. I really feel like it's causing her alot of pain, so I feel bad not letting her nurse in her sleep. So, I'll probably just continue to nurse all night until she gets through this tooth. It's so close to cutting through the gums. The poor baby has a little blood blister. Nighttime parenting is a tough job.

I hope everyone else is sleeping better.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Naps

9:00-9:30
11-11:30
12-12:45
1-2
4-4:40

Bedtime 7:30
Nightwakings:
10:30
12:30
5:30 (5 hour stretch!!!!! )
Up for the day at 8

Andrea, Sounds like you had a rough night! I agree about the teething. Kate wakes up some nights with awful teething pains, so I feel it's important to let her nurse or hold her or whatever will alleviate her distress.

We had a cold a few weeks ago, and it was torture. I'm thinking about you cancat!

It seems like there is never a good time to do the sleep plan....Kate is teething off and on and we're flying out of town this next weekend..but I jut decided to do what I can because I felt like there would never be the perfect time- and I was exhausted!

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!
Old 02-20-2005, 04:08 PM

Same here - I figure there is no good time to start, so I might as well try! I'm still waiting to get the book out again (it was out when I checked) so I'm going off my memory from when I read it 2 months ago - at least by tracking his sleeping I'm getting a better handle on when he is usually tired, etc. Ok - an update:

Day 2naps
8-8:20= 20 min
10-11:25 = 1 h 25 m
2:30 - 3:30 = 1 h
6-6:25= 25 m

night
8-10:45= 2 h 45 m
awake at 2, 4:15 - 5, & at 6:30up for day

Day 3naps
9:45 - 10:05 = 20 m
1? -2:30 = 1 h 30 m
2:50 - 3 = 10 m

night
6:30 - 10 = 3 h 30 m
awake at 12, 2, 4:30, & at 6:45up for day

Day 4naps
8:20-8:35 = 15 m
10:35 - 10:45 = 10 m
I just got him to sleep at 1 pm... These little naps are killing me. I can see that he is so tired, and it is totally my fault that he wakes up ( we need to leave and I try to transition him to the car seat), or we are in the car and come back to the house, etc). I try and try to get him to sleep again after these mini-naps - but no dice! I'm pretty sure that NCSS says nothing under 30 minutes really "counts" as a good restful sleep anyway. Yikes!

OK, I'm on the list to get the book again, and I'm trying to be more concious of his nap times, etc. Anything is a start, right?
Old 02-20-2005, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Heather, just out of curiosity, where is your son taking these "snaps"?

I thought Kate's short 45 min. naps were bad, but I feel for you. You probably said this somewhere, but how old is he?

User Tag List