Not Sleeping Well? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-20-2005, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I am new here (this is my first post). I am struggling a bit with my almost 5 month old ds. He gets fussy and sleepy at arond 7pm and nurses right to sleep in my arms. I put him down (In our bed) when he is fully asleep and leave the room to do the things I have to do. He then wakes up 2 or 3 times in the next 2 hours, or until I just give up and go to bed with him. Sometimes he sleeps an hour, sometimes only a few minutes. Then, once I do go to bed with him, he wakes almost exactly at midnight, 2:00, 4:00 and 6:00. He sometime is looking to nurse and that is fine, but most of the time he just awakens and rolls around and kicks. He used to be a better sleeper, but now the nights are so hard. I don't know if we are waking each other up being in bed together. We co-sleep, but dh travels for work and isn't home too much. Could it be my absent dh? Could it be the shared bed? Is it a phase?
I just feel bit frustrated because I can't get any time to myself to pay bills, clean, etc in the evenings and because sleep is so crummy, I usually end up napping with him when he naps in the afternoon. (FWIW, He takes a morning nap, usually 2.5-3 hours after awakening, then one in the afternoon).
I guess I am just concerned that the family bed is the problem...but my heart tells me that he would be waking this much right now anyway.

Will it get better?

Thank you for listening. I have been lurking on this board since I was pg with ds...posting for the first time now.

Carrie
#2 of 3 Old 02-21-2005, 11:49 PM

welcome to MDC!

five months is a pretty rough time. What worked best for me with both of my girls was to go to bed whenever baby fell asleep. If baby wakes up, I nurse in bed laying down. If the nightwaking is new behavior, it's probably a combination of the stress you are experiencing with your DH travelling (babies react very strongly to stress parents are feeling), maybe teething, a growth spurt, and/or developmental milestone. It could possibly also be allergies, or that he's ready for solid food, or that he's not ready for solid food that you have given him. It could be anything! But you are not alone!

Can you tell us more about your situation?
#3 of 3 Old 02-22-2005, 12:58 AM

Of course it gets better, just not as fast as any of us would like.... you will find lots of support and encouragement, lots of mommies not getting enough sleep and occassionally a bit of wisdom here at MDC. Sleep is a huge issue with babes. Mostly my mom's best advice was sleep when they sleep. That is the limit of my wisdom... good luck and welcome.

Maureen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page