How long did it take you to adjust to co-sleeping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-27-2005, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just found out we are with #2. we did cosleep with ds but really want to with the next one. So how long did it take you to adjust to all the newborn slurps, girgles, and noises? Do you eventually learn to sleep through all the little sounds they made that weren't needs being expresed? Do you learnt he difference between the two, thanks!

Ashley

Ashley, Jesus loving mama to Jaden (8) Trace (6) and Liam (3) and fost/adopt twins Talia and Oliva (1).  Happily married for a decade! 

#2 of 18 Old 03-27-2005, 12:50 AM

Even with my third, there was an adjustment period. I'd say around 2 weeks.
#3 of 18 Old 03-27-2005, 01:23 AM

Just me- but no time at all- really. First night was great (it helped that I didn't have to PEE every couple of hours anymore... ) I know we're not really the norm, but dd has been a great sleeper from that first night and there was really no adjustment period at all.

-Angela
#4 of 18 Old 03-27-2005, 01:34 AM

I had DD in a cradle next to the bed for the first two weeks and that was MUCH harder to adjust to. When she was in the cradle, I would actually have to wake up to check her, so I was MORE conscious of every little noise, whereas once I put her in bed with me, I could just put my hand on her or take a quick glimpse without even fully waking, so it ws (still is) so much easier to sleep with her right next to me.
#5 of 18 Old 03-27-2005, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richelle
I had DD in a cradle next to the bed for the first two weeks and that was MUCH harder to adjust to. When she was in the cradle, I would actually have to wake up to check her, so I was MORE conscious of every little noise, whereas once I put her in bed with me, I could just put my hand on her or take a quick glimpse without even fully waking, so it ws (still is) so much easier to sleep with her right next to me.
i'm with you! i was actually surprised how naturally we all adjusted almost immediately. i have only slpet 2 nights total away from ds since he was born and those were the 21 worst nights sleep i'd had in 2 years!

it's like we just fell into a sleep pattern that worked off each other and it ahs been sweet dreams ever since. (well, most of the time!)
#6 of 18 Old 03-27-2005, 01:41 AM

oh my gosh, i just realized it was you, ashley! how funny! i am so excited for you guys. it'll be fun to be prego together!

and really, co-sleeping is so great. i just love waking up to satchell snuggled up against me or when he just reaches over in the night to touch me! it's so awesome. it really brings a closeness that is so special.
#7 of 18 Old 03-27-2005, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Ha, ha. Hi Jeannie. I was just about to post something telling you it was me, that is funny. It is nice to have firends to be pregnant with. Both my SIL are pregnant but not sure if either is really into AP. Anyway thatnks for all the replies everyone, keep um coming! So what about the differnce between the little normal noises and the wake up mom I need you noises, how did you adjust in that sense? We kind want to get a co-sleeper (arms reach), do you think that would make it harder or easier? From what I've heard on MDC about co-sleepers is that more people don't like them because they didn't get us good of sleep, but some people love them. It seems like that's the kind of thing I'm just going to have to wait and see on. I don't want to waist my money on one, but I also have no way to know for sure. Gee, wish I could plann everything out. :0, but then of course it would not be as much fun!

Ashley, Jesus loving mama to Jaden (8) Trace (6) and Liam (3) and fost/adopt twins Talia and Oliva (1).  Happily married for a decade! 

#8 of 18 Old 03-27-2005, 10:34 AM

I don't know about a co-sleeper, but I'll tell you my opinion - if you can't roll over and put a breast in their mouth, it isn't co-sleeping. Not because you won't get the same closeness of having DC right there, but because you won't get the same amount of sleep if you have to fully wake up every time they want to nurse. I mean, if it's at exactly the same level and everything, then I guess it might be nice to have the extra space, but seriously, there is NO WAY I would put DD in any contraption that prevented me from just pooping a boob in her mouth before she woke up all the way. Of course, I know the first few weeks she pooped like every 15 minutes :LOL so I was awake all the time to change diapers anyway, but since we've gotten past that stage I rarely do more than just give her the breast. She NEVER wakes up during the night, even though she does nurse several times.

As far as knowing the difference between the normal noises and the "wake up, I need you" noises.... Well, I can't really explain it. Once you start co-sleeping you will totally understand. It's like magic - just like everything you read. Your sleep cycles are TOTALLY in sync and the baby won't need you in the middle of a sleep cycle. The baby will only need you to help them through the lighter stages or when they wake up after a lighter stage. Since you'll be on the same page after a few nights, you'll probably wake up before baby does. That has definitely been my experience. Basically, from the time she was about 5 weeks old (once the 80 bowel movements a day stopped) I just barely wake up, notice she's got her mouth open and latch her on. You will love it and be amazed by how it all works out.
#9 of 18 Old 03-27-2005, 02:22 PM

I think the co-sleepers are okay for someone who wouldn't consider co-sleeping otherwise- but I have to agree with the PP who said if you can't get the boob in the mouth without moving the baby it's not co-sleeping I have always slept actually touching my dd. (one of my quirks- I sleep touching dh too- even if it's just a toe) So sounds never wake me up. I wake up when she moves, BEFORE she makes a sound. I can count on one hand the times she has cried in the middle of the night, it just never gets to that point.

good luck!

-Angela
#10 of 18 Old 03-27-2005, 02:40 PM

i think there is an adjustment period whenever you begin sleeping with someone. it took me about 2 weeks to adjust to sleeping with dh when we first started living together, and it was the same when ds was born.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#11 of 18 Old 03-27-2005, 08:53 PM

Like some other mamas here, I didn't need to adjust at all - it just felt totally natural. It helps that I'm a light sleeper - this means that I can get a nipple in my ds's mouth before he wakes up, so he usually stays asleep, and I don't wake up completely either. I can also shift him into a more comfortable position, etc. before he wakes up completely and starts howling. So IMHO you really do need your baby to be in bed w/you to truly co-sleep successfully (i.e. neither of you wakes up completely) - before we brought Ian into bed w/us, he slept in a cradle next to our bed, and he might as well have been in a crib in another room b/c by the time I realized he was hungry, he was awake and howling, and then both my dh and I were wide awake, and it took a while to soothe Ian back to sleep. But my ds is a HN baby - I'm sure easy babies are different.
#12 of 18 Old 03-27-2005, 09:51 PM

I didn't have any adjusting. Somehow I could sleep easily through the noises but would wake if she cried or showed that she was upset.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#13 of 18 Old 03-28-2005, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks again for all the great replies. I'm really getting excited about it hear all of you talk. Not getting the co-sleeper would certainly save us $ too. I guess my reasons for getting a cosleeper were that cosleeping has take a bit of a leap for me to get comfortable with so it just seamed to find it's way in there. Also I thought that it might help me sleep better having a bit more space and I wouldn't wake the baby up as much with my tossing and turning. I can see how having to move the baby back and forth between the sleeper and the bed would be more work for me. If I move around in my sleep will I wake the baby up?

I think my hubby is actually going to enjoy cosleep a lot. He really enjoys the cuddle time and cosleeping will probably actually wake him up less which I'm sure he'll appreciate.

So I'm thinking of getting a really long mess side rail like the ones you put on toddler beds for our bed. Does that sound like a good idea? I know the traditional advice of putting the matress on the floor, but we can't do that since we have a tempurpedic King size bed (which will actually be a huge bonus for cosleeping)but it has to sit on the box spring it came with or it will go bad quickly (or something like that.)

How do you negotiate covers and pillows with the little one?

Thanks again for all your suggestions, I really aprreciate it, I'm looking forward to cosleeping.

Ashley

#14 of 18 Old 03-28-2005, 01:41 AM

I agree on the co-sleeper, we got one for #2 and was a total waste of money.

We put our bed against the wall and I sleep on that side. It's kinda hard to be covered with the blanket from waist up when they are little because..they are so little. Ds is 6 mo. and I can finally put the blanket up higher. I also wear a Hanna nightgown because it has buttons that go down far enough to leave open to feed but keep covered for the other kiddo, if that is even an issue for you. I hate wearing clothing to bed but because it is still kinda chilly out and the blankets are low it helps keep me warm but leaves an opening.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#15 of 18 Old 03-28-2005, 09:49 AM

It took me about two weeks. Untill I was nursing lying down well. Now DD is 3 months old and i love it.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#16 of 18 Old 03-28-2005, 10:24 AM

We can't put our mattress on the floor either (scorpions - they're bad enough as it is, don't want to make it even easier for them to get into the bed!)We bought a side rail from Toys R Us. It was really inexpensive and it's extra long, so it goes way down the mattress. The reason we chose the one we did is that it sits on top of the mattress at the very edge, rather than next to the mattress. That way there is no chance the baby could get stuck btwn the rail and the mattress. I always kept the covers down around my waist when she was tiny and I sleep with a flannel shirt or pajamas that button. The clothes keep me warm and I button only the top button for easy nursing. At first I didn't use a pillow at all because I was kind of nervous, but then I found a very small travel size pillow (like what they give you on planes) and now I use that.
#17 of 18 Old 03-28-2005, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Richelle, yeah I've been looking at bed rails and the ones that sit on top of the beds do look safer. I think that's the route we're going to go. I actaully already have some button down thermal nursing pj's! I'lll have to get more like that since I get cold easiely and the bady is due in Dec.

#18 of 18 Old 03-28-2005, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

I thought I'd give a little update. My DH and I had a good but tough talk today about cosleeping. When I told him I didn't want to get the arms reach and just put the baby in our bed he had a cow. We went back and forth for a long time, he was really frustrated, I tried to explain how it's not really that different but he still felt VERy strongly that he didn't mind having the baby in our room, or in a crib attatched to our bed but he DID NOT want the baby IN oour bed. If it makes my DH comfortable with cosleeping, than it's worth the $. I still chuckly a bit inside, because I know if we use a cosleeper the baby WILL end up in our bed at some point. But DH doesn't really need to know that and one of his issues with THE BED is that he thinks he'll have less space and it seams TOO weird for him. The cosleeper would just give us more space. It would be like a mini extention of our bed, he said that's fine! That way too we can both tell family and friends who I know already don't agree with baby in the bed that ya, the baby has it's own crib. They don't need to know that the crib happens to be in our room attatched to our bed. Also I have a good friend who was able to put a thicker matress on her arms reach and get it level with the bed. So that way her baby slept in the cosleeper and when he woke up she would just roll over and pop a boob in. That sounds like a good plan to me.

Does anyone know if I can get the same effect (arm's reach level with bed) by simply adding the leg extentions, or is that not possible because of the way it attatches to the bed?

Thanks again for your help everyone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page