Cosleeping poll - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 89 Old 04-15-2005, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. Why do you cosleep?-- because I can't imagine not having her there. also, I don't wake up easily and if she was in another room, I wouldn't hear her until she was wide awake and screaming her head off.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed?-- We plan on getting her into her crib full time as soon as she stops waking up in the middle of the night (at the moment, she starts off in the crib.) Then, we'll keep her in our room until she's about 2. (That's the plan anyway. I don't think it'll work out that way.)

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages? Three. Matthew's 23, I'm 22 and Sarah is 4 months.

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP?-- we have queen. Dh is huge. He's 6'3" and 180lbs. I'm 5'3" and a 140lbs. We need a king though because both dh and dd are bed hogs.

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep?-- we have a dog who sleeps in the garage.

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it?-- it really hasn't. Matthew gets kicked out of the bed when Sarah comes in because I can't sleep between the two of them and he can't sleep next to her (he has rolled on top of me in his sleep before) so we don't sleep together as much, but we also don't fight in bed now (I used to wake up on the edge, always uncomfortable.)

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt?-- no

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep?-- yup

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails?-- the crib is right next to the bed, but not attached (we can't get the mattresses to line up) The crib is inbetween the wall and bed so it can't move.

Mama of three.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 89 Old 04-15-2005, 01:29 PM

1. Why do you cosleep? It's more convenient, Both me and dd get more sleep, I feel safer that I know she's alright.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed? I'd like to play it by ear and see how she does, my dh wants her out before she's two.

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages? Me, dh, dd 8 months

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? We've got a queen sized bed. I'm 5'11" and 140lbs, my dh is 5'10" and 230lbs.

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep? Our cat comes and goes. Sometimes he sleeps curled up behind my knees. Our dog sleeps on a mat at the foot of our bed. If my dh hasn't come to bed yet she'll get up and put her head on his pillow. If the stars align just right we all fit on the bed, but most of the time she gets kicked off. She's a German shepherd.

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it? I don't think cosleeping has chaged our relationship as much as just having a baby did.

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? no

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? Yes, that's the best part

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails? No, but when she's ready we'll bring in a sidecar to wean her to her own bed,

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#63 of 89 Old 04-15-2005, 02:52 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?
I can't imagine not having my baby next to me

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed?
When she's a toddler, I think we will get a toddler bed in our room, and then transition her to her own room when she's ready. I want her to be old enough to get out of bed and come to us before I put her in a separate room.

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages?
Me and DH and our 2 month old.

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP?
Full size bed and we're full size, too. :LOL

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep?
Two cats, sleep in the living room.

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it?
The baby in general has changed more than the cosleeping has.

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt?
We get cramped up sometimes.

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The bed is uncomfortable anyway, so I don't think the baby is a contributing factor.

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails?
Nope, not yet.
#64 of 89 Old 04-15-2005, 06:05 PM

1. Why do you cosleep? Because my babe needs to be close by me and it makes nighttime breastfeeding easier. Also I get more sleep.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed? Until DD decides she wants us out of her bed. When they're ready to wean from the family bed.

DD - 7 1/2 months
mom (me) - 37 y/o
dad (DH) - 40 y/o

We have two twin mattresses placed together. DH is 5'9" tall and about 290lbs. I'm 5'2" tall and about 180lbs.

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep? In our bed

It hasn't. How would our bed change a relationship????

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? Only me when DD was teething and occasional bit while nursing.

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? Yes!

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails? Nope. We're not in our bed, btw. We're in DD's room on the floor on her two twin mattresses. Our bed is still in our room. When the time comes that DD is wanting to sleep alone we'll be leaving her room and returning to our room. Her mattresses will be put up on her daybed frame and trundle bed.
#65 of 89 Old 04-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Banned

1. Why do you co sleep? Because shortly after my DD was born I figured out that we got more sleep when we co-slept.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed?
I plan to co-sleep until my daughter moves out.

DD is 2 1/2

We have a queen size and I am medium build and my husband is small.

Our dog sleeps at the foot of the bed when my husband is deployed, otherwise on the floor.

It hasn't.

No. I put a pillow where the crack between the wall and the bed was to prevent any falling through.

We get very good sleep.

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails?
No, but we put our mattress on the floor when she turned one.
#66 of 89 Old 04-15-2005, 06:47 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?

Because it works best for us! It makes life MUCH easier I'm sure people have already listed all the benefits.

I think it depends on the child. They will know when they are ready. I can promise you that they won't ALWAYS want to sleep in the same bed as their parents! There are all different types of co-sleeping...so it depends on what you are talking about specifically. I have had children sleep in the bed with us all night, go to sleep in their own bed in the beginning of the night and then come in to our bed, sleep on a sleeping bag (or whatever) on the floor, etc. We have an open door policy and my children are welcome to come into our room at night if they feel the need. Usually around the age of 5-6 or so they have seemed to not want to come in any more to sleep on the floor.

1 child with dh and myself. He'll be two next week

We now have a California King. We used to have a queen. We've had all different types of set ups over the years though. We've also been all different sizes over the years!

Our pets either are outside or sleep in their own areas.

Well sure - just like anything in life...it's another growing experience. It's made our lives much easier.

Nope.

Yes.

We have a crib next to the bed that has an opened side (it's one of those covertible cribs) But no one is ever in that part.
#67 of 89 Old 04-15-2005, 07:12 PM

1. Why do you cosleep? because when that new baby was put into my arms, i didn't want to let go.
it's good for me and my children.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? as long as possible.

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages? my dd sleeps with me...that's a given. she's only a yearling. my 3 1/2 ds is good at sleeping thru the night, but on his restless nights he will come find me when he wakes. my 5 y.o. wakes several times, he finds me the first time he wakes. on cold winter nights all of us will get into bed together! and dh!

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? we have a king. and there is a full in the other room nearby. it's not unusual to play musical beds.

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep? outside. too many to be in.

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it? it makes us more appreciative of spooning but, the morning wakeups are so worth it. i'm not much bigger then my oldest, my dh is 5 9, 150

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? the kids...never! but the other night..dd was a little pistol. me and dh were constantly being kicked and hit by her until she finally got into a non restless slumber. she's cutting molars

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? i do. i love knowing my dc's are withing arms reach. as for dh, that's what the other bed is for!

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails? no, i just push the bed up against the wall since dd is moving a lot now. she alernates sleeping between me and dh, or me and the wall. i don't usually put her next to her brothers.
#68 of 89 Old 04-15-2005, 08:53 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?-- Because she made us!! When she was born, she would not sleep alone. She'd wake up seconds after putting her down. We were so tired, I kept her on my chest and we have been co-sleeping ever since.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed?-- We plan on co-sleeping for as long as she'd like. But we do put her in her own bed from time to time, so we can have special time to ourselves. [No, this isn't the only time we have special time!] Since being put in her bed, she sometimes climbs on it to sleep all by herself.

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages?--Mommy, Daddy, Eva. Baby #2 will be added around October.

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP?-- we have queen. Adam is average 5'10" and I am a little shorter. But we're getting a king sized bed next, because Eva is all over the place!

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep?-- no pets, but we may get one someday. Not sure where they'll sleep, most likely with us though. :P

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it?-- It hasn't. I love him, we love Eva, it's just made us a happy family.

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt?-- No hurts other than kicks to the face from Eva!

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep?-- It's much better now, than it's ever been. We just managed to adapt to sleeping with a wild sleeping toddler.

9. Do you use anything other than your bed?-- Her crib mattress is on the floor next to the bed. Sometimes she crawls down to sleep on it by herself. Sometimes, we put her there for *ahem*. She's always welcome back in the bed when she wakes up.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#69 of 89 Old 04-15-2005, 09:48 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?
at first it just didnt feel right to have her away from me
now its just so convenient, bedtime is a fun thing for her because she knows were right there with her, and so easy to breastfeed.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed? forever!
whenever they feel like having thier own bed. and then of course still welcome at any time. im still welcome in my mothers bed and im nearly 23 :LOL were a cuddle family

6-ish. three humans-22,21,18m...3-4 animals-three teenage cats and sometimes a 2 year old dog.

we have a king size bed. dp and i could stand to lose a few pounds, cats are small, baby is upper 90's in percentile, dog is a medium size pitbull.

by our feet. one of them likes to cuddle sandrel sometimes, it rarely is a problem. she squeals with delight if she wakes to see shes been cuddling a kitty. sometimes he tries to clean her head and it makes her mad. dog also likes to spoon with dp

i dont think it has...weve always slept together...maybe were more touchy during the day because sandrel likes to sleep between us so we cant spoon

dp got kicked in the genitals :LOL kitty got squeezed by an excited baby
all of us at one point have fallen off the bed, baby likes to push us off... sometimes she rolls after us but our mattress is on the floor so its not as scary as it sounds.

usually. one of our cats doesnt understand that we dont want to play if were sleeping

we tend to diaperfy the bed... sandrel has a history of sleep stripping. oh and we wear clothes now too...

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#70 of 89 Old 04-16-2005, 02:12 AM

1. Why do you cosleep? We get more sleep this way and we feel better having the boys in our room (and bed) with us. They sleep better too. We have no battles.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? Until they're ready for their own beds, whenever that may be. At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed? I think family bed (Or bedroom) for as long as people want is great.

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages? In the bed are me, dh & ds 21mos, older ds (5) has a mattress pushed up to ours.

4. How big is your bed? Queen And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? We're both about 5'7. I'm 112lbs. dh is hmm...155?

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep? 1 cat on our pillow, 1 between me & the edge of the bed, 1 at the end of the bed..

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it? We make it a point to find times to cuddle more often when the boys are asleep, like out in the living room watching a movie.

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? Never

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? Yes.

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? In the beginning with baby ds we had da mini-co sleeper, mainly for peace of mind that I could have him on that side of me and he wouldn't fall off the bed. Now we have a snug tuck pillow that is AWESOME, I love it. I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails?

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#71 of 89 Old 04-16-2005, 10:14 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?

to promote attachment...
to facilitate breastfeeding...
because i don't sleep well with my baby(ies) far from me...
and because it's nice!

whenever. however long.

myself (22 y.o.), my partner (24 y.o.), my daughter (8 months old) and occasionally my son (4.5 y.o.)

we sleep on a full futon... i am 5'4" and 125 lb., and my partner is about 5'10" and 220 lb.

no pets. when we had our pet rat, he slept in his cage...

it seems like it's strengthened our relationship.

nope (unless you consider being kicked by cold baby and little boy feet "hurt" )

usually, yes.

nope ~ not for sleeping anyway.

we do have the bed pushed against the wall.
#72 of 89 Old 04-16-2005, 11:16 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?

my boobs need the company

until everyone has mutually agreed to go to our respective sleeping places (presently one place hee hee)
children should sleep in their own beds when they have their own kids in their own beds

me- 32, dearest love 50 (yep), Sara 2.3, Sydney 6 mo
4 total!

King size bed with attached arms reach cosleeper (just in case it gets too hot)
Me- 260lbs/ 5'9" DH 275lbs 6'

non yet!

Ther's a lot more physical space between us, but emotionally...we're tight

typical roughhousing - got a few bruisers in bed!

mostly

sure- co-sleeper and Sara has a full size bed in her room, for mommy and me nights.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#73 of 89 Old 04-17-2005, 12:12 PM

1. Why do you cosleep? for the closeness it affords us and the kids - they feel more secure, and i just like cuddling with them - it's very much a bonding thing for us. additionally, it's been just simply more practical while i've been nursing to have the babies in bed with us - less disturbance and nightwaking for everyone. i would never have felt 'right' about having any of our babies anywhere else - especially not in another room.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed? until it becomes unnecessary or too disruptive to everyone getting healthy sleep. i don't think there needs to be an age cutoff, per se. it's more of a question of readiness.

just me (29) and dh (32). none of the kids regularly right now, just the occasional night visitor - we just this week moved our 27mo into a toddler bed right next to ours, since i'm big and pregnant, and ds is a very restless sleeper and has been getting a little violent in bed... he thrashes around a lot.

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? queen sized - and dh and i are pretty average sized (except for my big pregnant belly )

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep? no pets

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it? if anything, our relationship has been changed positively - dh gets the chance to be a more active part of nighttime parenting, since he's right there. and i think he likes getting to be close while the babies nurse - usually that's such a 'seperate' thing; i'm on the couch, in a chair, getting to be close to the baby at a time when he's typically not.
sex is a little more tricky - at times we go into the living room on the couch to avoid disturbing whoever is sharing the bed. and dh has had grumpy issues at times about losing some of his sleep space, but overall, he's been very supportive of cosleeping - especially while i'm bf'ing, which i'll be doing again come june as well.

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? just the occasional kick from a sleeping child to dh or myself. nothing at all serious.

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? on the whole, yes - it seems that after weaning though, the children have been more active sleepers, and that's been a little more challenging.

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails? nope - just the bed. we've seemed to have developed a 'sixth sense' as far as cosleeping children are concerned, and it's never been necessary.
#74 of 89 Old 04-17-2005, 09:49 PM

I'm trying to figure out how we'll sleep when the baby arrives in June. Please answer these questions:

1. Why do you cosleep?Because sometimes the kids want to sleep with me and Daddy and I think that's just fine.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed? Well, Bean is 6 1/2 and we co-sleep 3 nights out of the week. I co-slept with my gums up until he was about 1 year. He's now 3 & 1/2.

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages? Normally, me and DH unless Bean decides to squeeze in.

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? We have a queen.

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep?Our eldest dog Scoobie (12) sleeps in "her apartment" (her kennel) that is beside our bed. Our yellow lab puppy Winnie (7 mths) sleeps in her kennel in the laundry room. Our cat Sophie (9 years) sleeps wherever she darn well choses. Usually at the foot of the bed or on my chest. The hamster and the hermit crabs have their own lovely abodes.

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it?No. He loves sleeping with Bean as much as I do.

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? Nope.

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? Sure do. Unless DH snores which drives both Bean and I nuts so we'll scoot and go into her bed.

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails? No.

Thanks!!!
#75 of 89 Old 04-17-2005, 10:29 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?
--becasue the thought of getting up and going down the hall every 1-1/2 to 2 hours all night long to breastfeed seems ridiculus to me.
--I like sleep and as soon as I figured out how to sleep through nursing at night I was a very happy mama!
--I like to snuggly with my kiddos
--I felt reassured that they were ok when they were next to me.
--It just seems the natural thing to do.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep?
--Until they are ready to leave my bed or I am ready for it to end it is as unpredictable as when you will go into labor.

At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed?
--It depends on the child. DS#1 still likes to have someone with him all night long, before it was DH or me now it is his brother. DS#2 could care less and would sleep alone at around 16 months.

--none right now. My 3.75 year old and 2 year old share a queen size bed in their own room though, and DH spends a few nights a week in there with them. Or if they wake up in the middle of the night they are more than welcome in our room.

--We have a double now with a twin side car. We did have a queen with the twin, but it is too soft for me now that I am pregnant again.
--We aren't big people, except when I am pregnant! :LOL But we both like space, so the sidecar is perfect for whomever is feeling crowded to escape to or for the kid who wakes up in the middle of the night.

--When we had cats they would either sleep on the foot of the bed or on the foot of the twin. That is if I didn't kick em out in the middle of the night. Funny story: I woke up one night at about 3am with DH plastered to one side DS#1 on the other and the cat trying to get comfortable by pawing at my feet. I was ashamed to say the cat flew a few feet before I realized what I had "kicked" out of bed!

--we have had to be creative when it comes to being intimate, but since one of our couches is a futon, that isn't a problem!
--we didn't have the wind down chatting as we cuddled in bed much after the boys joined us since they were light sleepers and would wake up with too much talking.

--not while we were in bed with them. Each of the boys has rolled out of bed once but that was a nap time and no one was there. After that we put rails up on that side of the bed.

--I did most of the time. Once I learned how to sleep through the nursing, it was great. If one of the boys had a restless night it was hard though. DH usually ended up on the couch that night since he had to get up early.

-- we a have regular bed rail on the twin which is where the kiddo would sleep if not between DH and I.
#76 of 89 Old 04-17-2005, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl
I'm trying to figure out how we'll sleep when the baby arrives in June. Please answer these questions:

1. Why do you cosleep? Because I want my dd to feel secure, and it's easier to bf her

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed? not sure; we've been co-sleeping three months (since birth)--we'll go to 6-9 mo. or maybe 2 yrs... playing it by ear

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages? Just me, dd, and dh

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? king bed and PLENTY of room (I'm 5'4" and DH is 5'6"; we're both thin)

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep? yes, but the two dogs sleep on the floor

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it? hasn't changed it much; hasn't hurt it

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? no

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? dh does; I do for the most part, especially now that I bf lying down

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails? no; dd sleeps in between us

Thanks!!!!
overall, we love co-sleeping
#77 of 89 Old 04-18-2005, 02:57 AM

1. Why do you cosleep?
i love having my daughter right next to me where i can care for her easily. i know i couldn't stand for her to be in another room. and i just knew she'd sleep better if she slept near us, if she learned from how we sleep (we wake up, go to the bathroom, go right back to sleep). she sleeps so well, i know my instincts were right.

whenever she wants to. i can't imagine her going past 5, other than an occasional night when she needs comforting. she may surprise me and want her own room early. it's up to her.

besides me and my husband Willow age 6 months. and then there's Toby age 4 years, Karma age 8 years and Nikki age 18 years ... OH! you probably meant just the humans :LOL

queen size, and we're both big people. that's one of the reasons why we chose a bedside co-sleeper. although she ends up in my arms after her one wakeup to eat.

at the foot of the bed.

we're bonding in ways i never dreamed of. even when things are really stressful, the family bed has become an oasis where it's just the three of us.

other than Willow accidentally picking my nose a few times, nope!

he does. i have a sleep disorder so it's not due to co-sleeping. actually i sleep best when she's in my arms.

the co-sleeper, so far. we're going to sidecar the crib when she outgrows it.

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#78 of 89 Old 04-18-2005, 02:28 PM

1-Why do you cosleep?
Because I want DD to feel safe and secure and know that
I am there to meet her needs. Also because, after a long
day of chasing after a 4 yr old, it is nice to have some time
just for her, to cuddle and love.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep?
UNtil she decides she wants her own "space" or
bed or whatever she wants....I feel like it is
a commitment in the long term, that it would be
cruel for me to decide when she is ready to stop.

Hubby, me, and 7 week old daughter. Occansionally, our 4 yr old
son comes in.

4.How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP?
A queen size, I am petite, but hubby is not
we amnage just fine

on the couch-a dog

#79 of 89 Old 04-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Banned

1. Why do you cosleep? Because dd refused to sleep in her crib from day one. She slept in her car seat until she outgrew it and then we started cosleeping. She needed to have the feeling of being snuggled, still does at age 2. It is easier to do this than be woken up all night long.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed? I think a child should be in their own age by puberty and it is up to them what to do before that.

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages? Just me and my two year old in our queen bed. We kicked daddy out a long time ago so he could get a good night sleep. He works outside of the home and cannot take a nap during the day like we can.

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? I am a size 14 average height gal and dd is a skinny, average size 2 year old. However, she takes up 2/3 of our queen bed with all her rolling about.

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep? Dog sleeps on his bed and cats sleep wherever they want, often in bed with either dh or with dd and me.

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it? Not really. He always went to bed before me and never liked fooling around before sleep so all that has changed is that he sleeps in another room.

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? Nope. I always followed the safety guidelines. As a little babe, dd slept in a sleeping nest and now we use blankets and a bed rail to make sure she cannot fall out.

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? Yep.

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails? I wish I had used a cosleeper when she was a newborn. Maybe she would have like that option. We use a siderail on her side of the bed because the bed is in the middle of the room. We used a nest when she was very little. I recommend a nest for newborns.
#80 of 89 Old 04-18-2005, 04:32 PM

1. Why do you cosleep? Mostly because ds and I sleep a whole lot better if we do. Ds didn't like it when he was *abandoned* in his bassinet! It makes bf a lot easier and I like cuddling with him too.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed? I'm not sure how long this situation will last. He keeps kicking me in the stomach/crotch when I'm nursing him to sleep. I suppose he will sleep with us as long as we're both getting a good night's rest.

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages? DH (20), myself (18), and DS (almost 5 mo.)

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? We have a queen size bed, but I would love to have a king, dh likes to "sprawl out" hehe. DH-6'4, 220 lbs , Myself-5'3, 125 lbs , DS- approx 26 in, 16 lbs

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep? No pets right now, except for fish, and I'm not sure I would want to share my bed with them! :LOL

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it? DH not too crazy about sleeping with our son, but does like the early morning cuddles. DH and I have to be more careful to not wake our ds when "having relations" but other than that it's pretty much the same.

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? I get kicked a lot, but that's nothing new!

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? DH always gets a good night's sleep, but sometimes ds keeps me from getting a good night's sleep because of teething/gas.

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails? We have a siderail for a precaution with a blanket stuffed in the crevice so ds won't get stuck in it.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#81 of 89 Old 04-18-2005, 05:47 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?

Because it makes breastfeeding and nighttime parenting much easier.

As long as they like. I think they should be in their own bed after they move out of the house.

5yo dd 3yo dd 2yo ds 6mo ds 31yo me and sometimes 38yo dh

We have a queen and a twin, both on the floor, and a soft pallet next to the other side of the queen.

We have one dog and he sleeps in the livingroom because he's uncomfortable sleeping with toddlers.

I don't think it has.

We put the mattresses low so it would be safe. My oldest daughter got stuck in a bed rail the one time we used it.

Absolutely.

See #7
#82 of 89 Old 04-18-2005, 06:30 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?
It's easier, I get more sleep, and it feels good.

Currently I'm a cosleeping newbie and am taking it one week at a time. I *plan* to cosleep until it is no longer working for us, i.e., until it is messing with my sleep or baby's.

3 - me, dh, and baby (2 months). Older siblings (almost 3) have their own bed.

Queen. We're kinda big. He's 5'11" and 180, and I'm 5'7" and let's just say I haven't lost the pg weight yet.

No pets.

Too early to tell.

No.

YES! I cannot imagine walking down a hallway to feed my baby.

We have a Mini Cosleeper that I almost never use. It has the diaper stuff in it and sort of acts as a siderail too I guess.
#83 of 89 Old 04-18-2005, 06:50 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?
Originally because it was a lot easier than lying awake worrying about whether the baby was still breathing and because nursing in bed was more comfy than dragging my exhausted self out of bed to do it somewhere else. Recently because we are used to snuggling and we haven't made any other arrangements in 3+ years now.

We are just this week beginning to have dd sleep on a mattress on the floor (her idea), she still usually climbs back in with us around 5 am.
3 - me, dh, dd 3.5

king, dh is a pretty big guy 6'2ish 200lbs, and he insists on using a body pillow which is about the size of a 7 year old kid. I'm not huge and I sleep in a pretty compact position

they sleep in the living room, aviary and fountain.

It hasn't, dh was never a nightlong snuggler anyway.

No.

Yes although I am okay now with dd moving to her own space.

nope

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#84 of 89 Old 04-18-2005, 08:39 PM

1. Why do you cosleep? It felt strange not having my babies by me, so co-sleeping was the only way for us. It was also the easy way to nurse a babe who enjoyed nursing all night long

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed? Dd co-slept until age 2 and then we set a toddler bed up right next to our bed to see if she would like it (I was 6 mo. preg and she was a wiggle worm all night lol). She loves sleeping in her own bed and so she still does. Now that ds came along, he co-sleeps with us and we will go with the flow

Me, dh and 8 week old ds

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? Queen, really wish for a King. Dh is 6'0 180 lbs. I am 5'6 140

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep? no pets

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it?We just find different places to go

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt?NOPE

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? Yes. I never had trouble until my dd was 2 and I was pregnant, which is why we set up the toddler bed

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails? No

Mama to DD 8 * DS 6 * DS 2
Expecting #4 Late Nov 2011
#85 of 89 Old 04-18-2005, 08:41 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?
-I like being close to DS when he cries, and not having to get out of bed. I also cant shake the nightmare of a fire in my house and DS being down the hall, and not being able to find him in the smoke.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? I would cosleep for a lot longer if it were just me and DS in the bed, but DH is anxious to 'have our bed back'. We are beginning the No-CrySleep Solution to wean ds from sleeping the whole night in our bed (he will still sleep with us for the wee morning hours).

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages? Me (24), DH(27), and DS(9 mo).

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? We have a king bed. DH is 5 ft 7 and 150 lbs (not too large), and I am 5 ft 5 and a size 12. DS is a perfect 17 lbs, but he too takes up a lot of room cus he likes to sleep diagonal (insert Phish lyric here).

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep? 2 cats - they used to sleep with us but now they sleep in kitty beds in the hall.

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it? I think DH resents the intrusion a little, and being frequently woken by DS's fussing. We do argue about it a bit.

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? DS has begun pulling hair and scratching, not intentionally. And DS did roll off the bed once when i was in the bathroom and DH fell asleep.

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? Dh sleeps ok but since DS is up hourly to nurse, i dont sleep too well. But far far better than if i had to traipse down the hall hourly.

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? We have an Arm's Reach Co-sleeper. We used it a lot more when DS was under 6 mo, but now he can climb out of it, so we only use it occasionally at night if i am right next to him. We cant find any bedrails to fit a king bed, so we use lots of pillows to make a "Moat" around the bed.

Lisa
#86 of 89 Old 04-20-2005, 04:45 AM

I didn't read1. Why do you cosleep?
- because I like my sleep and this is the best way to get it
- I can't imagine DS being in the other room
- We said we'd do it for 6 mos and see how it goes, it's a year later. We're just going to see how we feel with it
1 DS, 18mo
Queen, DH and I are XL
1 cat sleeps with us, she used to sleep under the covers in front of my chest, but she won't have anything to do with Noah, so now she sleeps on top of DH's chest or between our heads (if we leave her room)
I don't think it has had any changes, except maybe increased our sense of well being and joy of being a family
Nope
DH is oblivious and I sleep better than if Noah was elsewhere - he still nurses fairly frequently
We have a co-sleeper with 5" foam under the 'mattress' so it is the same level as the bed, you can do this with a crib, too and avoid the stupid rail

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys
#87 of 89 Old 04-20-2005, 02:56 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?
I can't imagine I'd sleep well without knowing my baby was there with me. The morning cuddle is great.

Don't know - whenever it feels right to stop.

3 month old son, me and DH.

King sized - We're both tall but not "large" if you know what I mean.

Once cat, sleeps on the bed occasionally. I kick him off if he settles where I want to lay.

I don't think so. Having a baby has but not co-sleeping per say.

No

Sometimes - but certainly better than if baby was in a crib.

We have a snuggle nest (and it's great) but he's starting to out grow it and we'll soon have to stop using it. I like to sleep with the blankets over my head and I'm afraid I'd suffocate him so the snuggle nest takes care of that.
#88 of 89 Old 04-20-2005, 03:58 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?
For the closeness, the snuggeling, and we love to wake up every morning as a family.

We will cosleep until ds wants to move to his bed. He has a big boy bed and lays in it from time to time, but always gets up and comes into our bed to sleep.

Just the 3 of us, dh, ds and me.

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and
DP?
Queen. I am 5'9" 134, dh is 6'4" 230, ds is 2.

No pets, but he drags about 3-4 stuffed animals into bed with him...does that count?

We don't agree on the subject-he loves having ds there, but doesn't feel like there is enough room for the 3 of us....hasn't changed our relationship though.

Nope, never...unless you count dh getting kicked in the "boy parts" a few times.

Ds and I sleep like babies...dh says he gets kicked all night long, causing him to not sleep well.

Nope.

Hth.
#89 of 89 Old 04-20-2005, 04:09 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?
Lots of reasons. It started off because I didn't want to have to get up when ds wanted to nurse; also, I had done a lot of reading and talking to people and I believe that *usually* the best place for an infant was with his mother. Now, although he still nurses at night (he turns 2 in three weeks), I love the closeness cosleeping affords us.

It's totally up in the air. We'll cosleep until ds lets us know he's ready for his own bed. I don't think there's a magic age at which a child should sleep solo.

Just one, and as I said before he is about to turn two.

California King. I'm pretty average sized (ok, I have some chubb!) and dh is a bit larger than average.

We have three dogs. Two sleep with us.

Nope! It really hasn't.

Nope.

Pretty much, yes.

No, but we did put our bed on the floor.

HTH.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page