Cosleeping poll - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 89 Old 04-04-2005, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to figure out how we'll sleep when the baby arrives in June. Please answer these questions:

1. Why do you cosleep?

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed?

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages?

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP?

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep?

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it?

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt?

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep?

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails?

Thanks!!!!
#2 of 89 Old 04-04-2005, 08:20 PM

I like surveys.. here goes.

1. Why do you cosleep?
We cosleep because:
-this is how dh and I bonded even before our marriage
-it's easy and convenient
-no worries because baby is right next to you
-it's wonderful to wake up with baby

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed?
In the beginning, before ds was born, I used to say, oh, just one year. Now dh and I both love sleeping with ds, so.. we're playing it by ear. We'll be watching for cues and we're moving soon, so after we move we plan to get ds used to napping in his own room and on his bed. Since we're planning on having another in a year or two, we'll be co-sleeping for at least three more years. I think by 6 years old a child should be able to comfortably sleep in his/her own bed.

Just one. He's 19 months old.

We have a king size bed. I'm 5'5" and 120 lbs. (and skinny according to many people) and dh is 6'1" and 215 lbs. He's a big guy with long arms and legs, but not in the overweight sense.

We had one. Not anymore (and she used to sleep right behind our bedroom door)

We're both bonded with ds more and love it, but we do miss cuddling. We also like the fact that sex (can I write this?) is more spontaneous, quick (I like fast!) and in different locations.

Not at all.

We sleep so well.. wonderful. We don't have to worry about ds, checking up on him in another room or breathlessly listening to a monitor.

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails?
No, just us. We keep ds in the middle most of the night and our bed is against the wall.

Glad to help,
#3 of 89 Old 04-04-2005, 08:25 PM

1. Why do you cosleep? I get more sleep(I don't have to wake up, get out of bed to nurse ds, then go back to bed)Ds sleeps longer I think because he knows I am right there, and if he stirs, I'm right there so he doesn't wake up too much and then me have to put him back to sleep, I love the closeness.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed? I'm not too sure. With ds1 and dd, we coslept for about 3mths each. Now, I kinda wish I had done it longer. Ds2 is currently 4mths and still in bed with us. No plans anytime soon to change that. Maybe has somthing to do with him being our last? I don't know. Maybe "when you know better, you do better"? I don't know, I just love how it is now.

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages? myself, ds(4mths) and dh

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? it's a fullsize mattress and boxspring, on the floor(no legs) im 5'2" 105lbs, dh is 5'8" 155lbs.

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep? We have a squirrely cat, it goes in and out, sometime he curls up next to my side, or he wants to curl up next to my head, or ontop of ds(I usually bat him away when he tries that though-the cat, not ds..lol)or he is at the bottom of our bed where he can attack feet.

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it? no changes really.

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? no, unless you count having feet attacked by the squirrely cat. lol

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? pretty good, considering we bf and I am DS' pacifier too, but I remember with our other 2, having to get up, feed dc, put them back tp sleep(because they woke up while waiting for me to get out of bed and get to them even if they were right next to the bed)then I had to go back to bed and back to sleep. Definitely more sleep now!

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails?I have a pillow between myself and dh, I use it for either an arm rest since sometimes ds sleeps on my chest, and I have a towel folded on the otherside(next to the edge of the bed) another armrest, and a just in case barrier. I usually sleep with my arm around ds since we usually fall asleep sidelying nursing.

I hope this helps. I have a tendency to ramble, sorry
#4 of 89 Old 04-04-2005, 08:29 PM

1. Why do you cosleep? We co-sleep because it's convenient and we enjoy it.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed? We don't have a set age at this point. DD is 28 months now.

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages? Just me, DH and DD 28 months.

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? Queen size bed. I'm 5'3" & about 140lbs, DH is 6' and about 190lbs

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep? We have a cat who sleeps in the other parts of the house, those has been known to sneak into our bedroom and sleep with us every once in awhile.

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it? We've bonded with dd by sleeping like a family. Our sex life hasn't been hurt at all, that's what we have a guest bedroom for.

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? No

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? Yes. We're not getting up & checking on dd. Plus, I always get a leisurely wake-up by having dd in the bed with me.

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails? No
#5 of 89 Old 04-04-2005, 08:37 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?

I sleep better, DS sleeps better. Well, I’ve never tried the alternative but I can’t imagine him sleeping better alone in a crib! Nursing convenience. I’ve always felt safe having him so close. I enjoy the bond that we have from co-sleeping. I love the time we spend together playing and chatting before bed, very relaxing. I love waking up to his sweetness i could go on and on

I plan to co-sleep until DS is ready to sleep alone. Could be tommorrow could be several years. I don’t have any set age on what I think is too old. As long as everyone is happy then there is no problem.

Just DS and I. He is 3. DP works nights.

Queen. Plenty of room for us. I am 5'3 with a few extra pounds.

1 cat, wherever she pleases though not usually with us.

DP works nights and sleeps in a separate bed so not to disturb us. Co sleeping has really had no effect on us.

I've been kicked/slapped/poked in the face a few times, DS has never been hurt.

Honestly, I have never missed a night’s sleep since DS was born. Not sure if it is co-sleeping, his personality, or a mix of both. I always get a great night’s sleep, so does he.

Nope. never have either.

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#6 of 89 Old 04-04-2005, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
1. Why do you cosleep?
I started because DS would not tolerate being put down to sleep (and would immediately wake up if asleep and laid down). I don't think it would be any different now, but I haven't tried in weeks, in part because I like having him in bed with us.

I have no idea. I'm still playing it by ear. I'd like to say 2 or 3 years old, but I don't know how hard it would be to transition at that point.

Just me, DF and DS (3 mos)

We have a king-size mattress in a relatively low (but still raised) platform frame. I'm still debating if I should put the mattress on the floor. I am 5'6"/190 lbs; DF is 5'8"/200 lbs.

I have a cat that usually sleeps on the bed with us. My dog sleeps on the floor or in a crate.

It isn't going very well because he'd like to have sex in the bed (w/baby there) and I don't like the idea. DS doesn't nap well on his own, so there is seldom any opportunity for me to get away. Everyone says that will get better though...

No.

DF sleeps like he always did. I wake up every 2-6 hours (usually three) to nurse, but soon go back to sleep. I wouldn't call it a great night's sleep, but it certainly wouldn't be better if DS were in a crib. I'd be up all night!

No.

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

#7 of 89 Old 04-04-2005, 08:48 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?
We like sleeping with our baby. She slept in a Snuggle Nest between us in our bed or in a bassinet for a while when she was really little because I wasn't comfortable with co-sleeping due to DH's sleep apnea. (Now it's treated.) But after she outgrew the bassinet in our room, I wasn't ready to have her in a crib. In fact, I gave it away because we ended up never using it.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? Our DD will be 2 in June, and we are just now starting to put her in her own little toddler bed in her own room next to ours. But she usually comes into our bed after she wakes to nurse around midnight or 2 a.m. We still like sleeping with her because she's very cuddly and we just like being close to her. But she is also a bedhog and I find that she and I are waking each other up too much. Plus I sometimes end up sleeping in weird positions to accomodate her using up my share of the bed.

Last night we co-slept from the start. Night before, she went to sleep with a backrub in her own bed after nursing. She's showing more independence now so we just go with the flow. We're in no hurry to move her out.

At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed?
I think it depends upon the child's and the parents' situation.

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages? Just me and DH and DD, age 22 months (she's really big for her age though).

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? We have a king sized bed which is on a box spring with no frame, so it's low to the ground. My DH is pretty big and I am 5'6 and a little bit heavy.

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep? Pets - two dogs - used to sleep with us until we got pregnant. Now they are not allowed in the bedroom.

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it? I don't think so. Just having a baby in general has changed our relationship. But I don't think co-sleeping has had any negative effects. If anything, we get some nice family time that way. (I'd rather have sex on the couch anyway - I think that's where DD was conceived! :LOL )

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? No. Unless you count my back getting sore from nursing twisted and falling asleep, but I've corrected my side-nursing posture.

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? I don't. DH, sometimes. He doesn't really get disturbed by DD in bed. He's aware of her but she mostly is mommy's girl when it's nighttime. I get edged out of bed or pushed up against the rail sometimes. But mostly I don't get sleep because 1. I am an insomniac & 2. DD still nurses often at night. But one reason we started co-sleeping in the first place was because I was up to nurse then baby'd go back to sleep, but I'd be awake from sitting and nursing. I definitely get more sleep co-sleeping and nursing than getting up to nurse and trying to go back to sleep. It took me a long time (6 months) to master side-lying nursing with DD, but I can fall asleep with her latched on.

We used the crib as a makeshift co-sleeper for a while but DD didn't like it after being used to sleeping right up against me for so long. We've always used rails on one side and had the other side up against the wall. Now the bed's not against the wall, but DD sleeps either between me and DH (or a pillow if he's not in bed yet) or between me and the rail. I would try a real co-sleeper if we had another baby, but the room does get pretty crowded with the bed extensions. As for rails, if you use the traditional type, be sure to check for safety. (Roll up towel to make sure baby can't roll in between rail and mattress. See www.askdrsears.com) Or get one of the newer ones that clamps OVER the mattress rather than next to it. I really like this one because it's much more secure, there is no space for the baby to roll under it or between anything, plus I can put the rail down if I want to without taking the entire thing out from under the mattress.

Great questions! Best wishes for you and your June baby!

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#8 of 89 Old 04-04-2005, 09:05 PM
ETW

1. Why do you cosleep?
We all get better sleep since no one has to get out of bed when DS wakes. We enjoy having him with us. We feel safer than we would if he were in another room (lower risk of SIDS, we are with him in case of fire or other emergency, etc).

We plan to cosleep at least until DS is sleeping through the night. I don't have a particular age in mind at which I want him to transition. I guess I would prefer for him to be on a separate mattress (though still in the same room is fine) before we have another baby which we are hoping will happen when DS is 3-4 yo.

Me, DH, DS (12 months), and DDog

We have a queen sized bed. DH and I are both small (140 lbs and 115 lbs). The dog is on the small side (16 lbs) but he sleeps big! :LOL We also have a twin mattress next to the queen, but about 12 inches lower. It will be DS's first step towards independent sleep when he is ready and is a bailout spot for DH or I if we get too crowded.

Our dog is in bed with us, the 2 cats come and go as they please but usually don't spend much time in our bed.

I don't think it has. I get extra warm fuzzies when I see him snuggled in bed with DS and we have to plan ahead a few minutes when we want alone time, but there's no major change.

No.

Yes. I wouldn't mind less night nursing, but it's not too disruptive and certainly less so than if I had to get up.

Not really. We moved our mattress to the floor when DS got mobile and we have the sidecar mattress as I mentioned before -- but it doesn't get much use.
#9 of 89 Old 04-04-2005, 09:52 PM

Quote:
1. Why do you cosleep?
It's easier on me, I believe its better for the baby, it eases my piece of mind. I couldn't imagine keeping my baby in another room - I woke up so many times to check on her and loved that she was just laying right next to me.

Quote:
I didn't have a set plan in mind, as I don't think there is a set age. Really it depends on the child - I think all children will demand their own space at some point and will want to move out on their own. That said, we set up a room for DD at 18 months and she started going to sleep there and now (at 2yrs) she comes into our room maybe half the time, the other half she sleeps entirely in her room.

Quote:
DH (31), me (28) and DD (2) half the time. Soon there will be a newborn.

Quote:
We have a King and a Twin side by side, DD sleeps on the twin and DH & I on the King. We all slept on the King just fine before, but I wanted DD to be seperated from the baby when he comes, so we put the twin down for her to sleep so I can have the baby either between DH & I or between myself and hte wall. (DD is on the other side of DH on the twin). We are pretty average sized.

Quote:
We have 4 cats, all of whom have slept with us in the past since DD was born. Now, only 2 do since 1 is disabled and can't jump the baby gate at the end of the hall and the other has been relagated to the garage for beating up on the other cats. It has never been an issue.

Quote:
It's hard to tell if it has done anything outside of the changes we've had to make as parents. I will say that it probably brings us closer as a family because there is nothing like all snuggling together in bed.

Quote:
No, unless of course you mean when DD (now 2) decides in the early AM to use Daddy as a trampoline.

Quote:
This is a hard one - yes now we do, we have at various times throughout our parenting, but at others we didn't. I think however the emphasis should not be on getting a good nights sleep but on the child. We got a BETTER nights sleep because we were cosleeping than if we had to get up constnatly to attend her needs. When she was little I just rolled over and nursed her and hardly woke up - DH hardly woke up at all. BTW, she slept through the night from 2 weeks to 3 months, so don't think cosleeping means your baby can't sleep through.

Quote:
Yes, we used a contoured changing pad. As a baby, DD slept on the contoured changing pad between us (basically like the snuggle nest you can buy). I loved this and plan to do it again with DS. We always either slept on a mattress on the floor or mattress & boxspring on the floor, never used any rails, though we've recofigured our bed into a variety of positions over the 2 years to suit our needs at the time. Things like putting our Queen (at the time) on its boxspring next to a twin on the floor and sandwiching the twin between the wall & the queen, making a multilevel bed. DH & I slept on the queen and DD on the twin, and I moved up and down to nurse her. For me at the time and at that time in her development needed more space while sleeping and this allowed me that without having to move her into something else or into another room.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#10 of 89 Old 04-04-2005, 10:05 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?
Because it's easier. No getting up when Willow was small to nurse, don't have to wake up all the way...just...simplicity.

Haven't thought about. I guess we'll co-sleep until Willow doesn't want to anymore... I don't really know how to answer the second question...mainly because it differs for each family. What works for some may not work for others. Right now Willow in our bed works...I guess we'll stop when it doesn't work anymore....although I don't see that happening any time soon.

There are 3 of us: Ken - 35 (in Oct.), Jenn - 27 (this month) and Willow - 2 (In July)

Our bed is a king size... Ken and I could both stand to lose some weight.

We have 3 cats and a dog. They have roam of the rest of the house at night.

I think, and I think Ken would agree, that it's better. We're closer when we can snuggle and take a moment to enjoy the simple things.

Only when Willow kicks me in the face...but no.

Ken can sleep through anything. Most nights I sleep really well....when Willow is teething or sick, of course, I don't sleep much. But we can catch naps during the day.

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails
Nope. Our bed is on the floor...Willow can climb in and out now...it works.

Great survey!! Thanks!

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#11 of 89 Old 04-04-2005, 10:26 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?
I realised early on with my first child that if I kept having to get up to feed him I was going to die from the lack of sleep (and he was only in the bassinette!!!) Pluss, it was just impossible for me to put him away from me. I felt much safer with him close where I could really hear him & reach out and touch him at any time. With DS#2 we never gave it any thought - we love cosleeping!!!!!!

DS #1 CS till maybe 3 1/2. At that time we had a queen bed & were getting crowded. I put his bed beside ours where he slept till maybe 5 when he got a cool new loft bed in his room & he was in it. He still sleeps with me & the baby when dad's gone, and lots of times he'll ask to watch a movie in the bed with us. It was an easy transition. I don't think there is an age the child should be in their bed. If it becomes a problem space wise, I reccomend doing something like what I did. That way there is no real forced seperation, yet they start to have their own space.

Mom, 27 Dad 39 (haha - I know that's not what you were asking) & baby Luke 5 months

Mom is 5'7" 150lbs Dad is 6'3" 250 I guess??? Not thin or fat, bit of a belly. Baby Luke is a giant at 20lbs and we just got a King bed a few weeks ago & it's HEAVEN, although we were ok in the queen.

Jack Russell sleeps on the couch or guest bed. He's not allowed on the new bed as I have allergies & didn't want to ruin the new mattress.

Are you asking if co-sleeping makes "relations" difficult? That is a really common concern if so. There's lots or places other than your bed you can try out (haha - if you've been together a while that might be fun again) although we're a boaring old married coupple & stick to the guest bed. I have the crib sidecar to the new bed for those :special" occasions too. But usually it's easier to move us than the baby. If that's NOT what you meant, sorry for the TMI & it hasn't changed anything. I do love waking up all togethar & also seeing dad & baby snuggled up together

nope. Dr Sears website (askdrsears.com i think) has a good article on safe cosleeping. It's easy & requires no "special" equipment

Oh yea. Just wait till you have your little one. Nothing drives this point home like trying to actually "use" the nursery like you're "suposed to" hahaha

I have one side of the crib off, and the crib pushed up next to the bed. This is helpfull as the baby gets bigger, but I don't use it much now. I put the baby in the middle, so no rails. (Unless you count me & dad)

Once I realised I could nurse laying down , I don't think the beby ever left the bed - it was a matter of convenience for me. I didn't realise there were many other prooven benefits till MUCH later (like when my son was 3!!!)
#12 of 89 Old 04-04-2005, 10:47 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?
We enjoy being together as a family. My son especially needs the security of knowing that we are close at night, and I love that he never wakes up scared.

Until my son is ready to sleep in his own bed. I don't think there is an age where children should be in their bed. Every child is different.

We only have one child. He is 2 and 10 months.

Full size bed, average size husband, "full" size me.

Our bassett hound starts off in bed with us and usually gets crowded out and moves to the floor sometime during the night.

Cosleeping hasn't changed our relationship.

My son rolled off of the bed twice when he was around ten months old. The box spring and mattress were on the floor, so it was about a 10-12 inch fall. Each time I was able to catch him mid-fall because I was aware of him even though I was sleeping. He usually slept between my husband and I to prevent this, but these two times I had fallen back asleep nursing with him on the outside of the bed.

Yes, much better than before we started co-sleeping. My son was always in the room with us, but at eleven months, he was waking up every hour and wanting to be held, so I brought him into our bed, and that's pretty much when he started sleeping through the night.

No.

Carrie
#13 of 89 Old 04-04-2005, 10:48 PM

1. Why do you cosleep? I was getting no sleep waking and checking my newborn every 5 minutes, no kidding! Besides bfdg was much easier.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? My 4,5 yr old just moved out on her own last month, my 6.5 yr old moved out at 5.5 yrs. We were exclusive full time co-sleeping family w/ no cribs ever.
At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed? I let them decide & they did, they are welcomed back anytime.

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages? none but #3 is coming in Sept 05!

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? DH is 6', 160lbs, i am 5'4", was 130 b4 pregnant, we have a king, but we did 4 in the bed in a queen.

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep? mine used to sleep w me b4 kids got moved out when i was pregnant, now dd is allergic so they live in a lovely custom space in our finished basement. They are 3.5 & 6 lb yorkies.

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it? Honestly, it has, it feels weird to sleep beside him w/o kids in the bed, but i got over that quick & now we are expecting an unplanned #3

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? dd #2 fell out on dh's watch at 8 months, mattress got put on the floor that day, she was not hurt.

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? yes!

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails? no

Hope that helps! Let me add that my dds have no nightmares, no bed wetting, no security issues, do not need to suck thumbs for comfort, no loveys to go to sleep. They come to our bed for a book at night than go off and put themselves to bed and go to sleep, no bedtime fussing in this house! I thank the family bed for this!
#14 of 89 Old 04-04-2005, 11:00 PM

1. Why do you cosleep? never thought of using a crib or other bed for my infants/toddlers.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed? I co-slept my boys til they self weaned from nursing. I had believed all my DC would be in their own bed by weaning, not the case with 2.5yr old. I feel comfortable with her still in my bed.

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages? two DC... 2.5 and 4 mo

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? We have a king. DH is medium build and I am small build.

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep? yes, one cat

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it? can not at this time answer that question in all honesty.

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? not anyone getting hurt, but one of my DS did one time (6-8mo) tried to back off the bed and got stuck between the bed and the siderail we used. It was actually kinda commical. :LOL

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? yes

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails? yes, I used a siderail during co-sleeping once my DC were in motion.

hope any of that helps ya, I think co-sleeping is the best. I was just having a conversation with two friends night before last. They BOTH have toddlers that crawl in bed with them EVERY night. I asked them why dont they just let them go to bed with them in the first place :LOL
#15 of 89 Old 04-04-2005, 11:40 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?It just felt right from the beginning - I don't think I ever thought DS would be in a crib.

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed? DS still BF at night; until that stops he will be in the bed with us. I slept with my mom until I was 7.

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages?Two adults and one child - DS is 2 1/2.

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? King, but we started off in a queen until DS was about 16 months. We are small people.

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep?No pets.

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it?I think having a child changed our relationship. Cosleeping has made our relationship with our DS stronger. We do have to be more creative about when and where we have sex.

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? No.

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? Yes, but I think that depends on what you consider a good nights sleep. DS has never slept thru the night, but I feel well rested most mornings and if I need to I take a nap with him in the afternoon.

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails? We used a cosleeper with DS until he was 9 months old, but he always ended up in the bed with us. The cosleeper did give us a little more space, I enjoyed having it.

Once I was able to nurse lying down (by week 3 or 4), my feet never touched the floor and I felt much more rested in the mornings.
#16 of 89 Old 04-04-2005, 11:48 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?

because it feels right.
i wouldn't want my babies/children far from me in the night.

until they ask for thier own bed

myself, my husband, daughter-29 mos, daughter-12 mos.

double futon. we are average, dh is tall.

no pets

part of the positive changes of parenting.. it is really special to snuggle now and we relish it..

absolutely not

yes

nope..
#17 of 89 Old 04-05-2005, 12:51 AM

1. Orginally because I am too lazy to get out of bed. Now because I am too lazy, we don't own a crib, and I like to snuggle with DS.
2. As long as DC are not kicking and failing in their sleep. However, I am willing to make extra space close to the bed as long as they need it.
3. Me, DH, and DS
4. King sized bed. DH is 6' and over 250lb. I am ave 5'6" and a little overweight. We plan to have room for a #2 eventually.
5. The dog keeps trying to sneak up on the bed but she sleeps like a log on the cover and i get stuck. We kicked the cats out of the room because we got a new kitten and she liked playing in the middle of the night.
6. No change due to co-sleeping. We both lost sex drive after the baby but it had nothing to do with co-sleeping.
7. No one has ever been injured.
8. About 2x week because DS is a terrible sleeper. I know there are good sleepers out there but DS is not one of them.
9. We used a bassinet for naps till about 5 months but nothing else except a monitor because we are in the basement frequently.
#18 of 89 Old 04-05-2005, 01:06 AM

1. Why do you cosleep?
Not cosleeping doesn't seem natural to me. Also my ds sleeps more soundly with me next to him and in the very beginning I would have slept in the bathtub with him if it meant that I got some rest! Now that we've co slept for almost 2 years - I think some serious bonding happens when you sleep together. I honestly can't imagine not having my little guy right there. My dh wasn't too sure about in the beginning and now he wouldn't do it any other way.

I plan on letting ds sleep in our bed as long as he needs to. My son turns 2 in July. We are planning on bringing a toddler bed into our bedroom and offering the option of sleeping in his own bed. If he doesn't want to then that's fine.

Just my dh and I - both in our late 30's and my ds who is 20 mos old.

We have a king sized bed. We need to! I'm a size 1x and dh is also and XL. our ds, however, is a little peanut!

Our dogs sleep right next to our bed on their own mats. They used to sleep with us whenever they wanted but they are big dogs and we all can't fit now.

It hasn't changed our relationship. However, sex isn't as spontaneous as it once was.

Never.

It took me a while to get used to having ds there. Now that he's bigger I sleep great. He doesn't have the need to be under my armpit all night. He still likes to sleep right up against me, but I can push him over a bit to stretch out now. When he was a baby it was a little harder. BUT - because I could nurse him so easily at night I think I slept better than bf'ing moms who put their babes in a crib. I would wake up when he nursed but I would go right back to sleep. Now he doesn't even nurse that much. maybe 2 times. which is no big deal.

I have a side rail on my side of the bed. I can't sleep soundly if I don't have one because I'm worried ds will roll off. It's a bit of a pain to get out of bed in the middle of the night but I feel better having it there.
#19 of 89 Old 04-05-2005, 01:14 AM

1. Why do you cosleep?

Originally to make nighttime breast feeding easier, then it was because I couldn't bear to be away from DD for that long, it's so much easier to wake up and just roll over and check for breathing or plant little kisses on their cheek if they are right there........I sleep better and she sleeps better when we sleep together

2. How long do you plan to cosleep?

untill she wants to stay in her own bed

At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed?

when she feeld ready

Three: me, DH and DD 16mo. Though some nights H goes and sleeps in the guest room if it's a rough night and he has to work the next day or if between his snoring and her nursing I'm getting NO sleep, I'll banish him for a night

Queen........190 and 140

no pets

no big change for us, though he'll pout if we spend too many nights not in the same bed. He doesn't like sleeping in the guest room but we agree it's for the best sometimes

Once DH rolled over on DD the first week but she wasn't hurt. He was jet lagged from flying half way around the world to get home after dd arrived a month early. I caught it immediately and I stopped putting her between us and just put her on the other side of me or in the cosleeper. DH can evidently sleep through anything but now he's figured out he can't have the whole bed like he use to so after she became mobile I went back to putting her between us and we've had no more problems.

I think better than if we tried to keep her in a crib. I know we did better then our crib friends in the first few months. Now I'd say it's the night nursing and not the co sleeping that deprives me...........and DH's snoring but that's nothing to do with the baby

We used the Arm's Reach cosleeper untill she could crawl out of it (9mo). Now we put her to sleep in her crib for the first part of the night since she goes to bed 4 hours before we do, but when she wakes up between 2 and 4 I bring her back to bed with me, we nurse and snuggle back to sleep until 7 ( 8 if I'm lucky). So at this point she spends about half the night in her crib and half with us. She sleeps in the crook of my arm. She doesn't move much so if she gets restless I wake up and make sure we are all in safe places. I'm comfortable with her sleeping between us now so we don't use rails..

Thanks!!!![/QUOTE]
#20 of 89 Old 04-05-2005, 02:44 AM

1. Why do you cosleep?

Because I can tell my baby loves it and it is how we all get the most sleep. And I love that morning cuddle!

We will co-sleep until she moves herself out. I don't think there is a specific age at which a child "should" be in his/her own bed.

Just me, DH and DD. She is almost 11 months.

We have a king size and I am super tiny. DH is average/tall.

Our pets have never slept in our bed. They sleep on the floor nearby. Well, sometimes the cat jumps in our bed, but I've always pushed him out if I notice. He's not a good groomer. Yick!

I can honestly say it hasn't.

Nope

Absolutely!

We have siderails on one side.
#21 of 89 Old 04-05-2005, 03:38 AM

1. Why do you cosleep?
Because I love cuddling with our children. Because DH loves cuddling with our children. Because there is nothing more beautiful than laying awake with your partner and just listening to the sound of your children breathing. Except maybe actually watching them sleep.

As long as they want to be with us, they can be with us. I don't think there is any set age. That said, DS#1 is ready to get his own bed, which we are in the process of shopping for. He's b'H 7yo.

b'H 7yo, 5yo, 3yo, and 10mo. Oh, and me&DH.

We have multiple futons on the floor, right up against each other, a queen and two twins. DH and I are overweight, thankyouverymuch.

No more. I miss them, too.

Nope.

Well, for a time DS#1 would flail in his sleep when he was having bad dreams, and often he would be kind of upsidedown where his feet were near heads, and he kicked DH in the head a few times. So we removed the bad-dream-impetus (a particular TV show), the bad dreams stopped, as did the head-kicking. That was a long time ago.

Absolutely.

No. Futons directly on the floor. Good for the back, only a few inches off the ground (so nobody has too far to fall :LOL) ... only drawback to futons on the floor is you've got to be strict with a no-shoes-in-the-room-or-on-the-bed rule, otherwise when they run in the room they'll just run right over the bed with shoes on, which makes me nuts.

"Cosleeping" is *not* complicated or a big deal. It feels right ... so just do it.

#22 of 89 Old 04-05-2005, 03:51 AM

Good survey. Here goes....

1. Why do you cosleep?

Because my ds insisted early on that it was the only way.

DS has made it clear that HE is in charge of this decision. :LOL I would like him to sleep in his own bed by around 2 but we are flexible on this.

DS - he's 18 months old.

We have a queen sized bed. DP is 6'4" (and around 200 lbs) and I'm 5'9" (and around 135 lbs).

We were really strict about them (dog and cat) sleeping elsewhere until ds was 1. Now they are in and out of our bed. This is hardest on me as our golden retreiver seems to think he can't sleep unless he's pressed up against me. I kick 'em out if it feels too crowded but they always come back.

Um, well, parenthood has changed my relationship with DP so this is a really hard question to answer. We both agree that cosleeping is right for us.

Only me - I sometimes wake up with ds's foot in my face. :LOL

Of course, there was the time that I woke up in the middle of the night and thought dh was on ds's arm (he wasn't) so I shoved dh onto the floor. I was completely exhausted at the time and dh was un-injured. He still gives me a hard time about it though.

Yes - much better than when I was trying to get ds to sleep in his "own" bed. I hardly wake up at all during the night unless ds needs something. I bf and can basically do it without ever really waking up. To me, this is one of the main benefits (to the parents) of co-sleeping.

We did have a cosleeper when ds was little. Nothing now. Depending on his age when he moves to his own bed, I'll put rails on that.
#23 of 89 Old 04-05-2005, 03:56 AM

1. Why do you cosleep?
-so I can sleep! both of my boys NEEDED momma to sleep, instead of fighting that very obvious fact I just go with it. Also I am really parinoid and like being able to see/feel my baby breathe at 2am - much easier to do when he is in bed with me!
-because their is no better way to wake up than to the coo and smile of your baby!

I slept with my first until he was 6 months old (he was ready to sleep in the crib and the transition was soooo easy), I really hope our new babe wants to stay in bed with us longer! I don't think there is a magic age - it totally depends on the child and the family.

2 adults, 1 11 week old

We have a queen and we are both quite wide. : DH also sleeps with a CPAP machine for sleep apnea so DS2 stays either on my side of the bed or in the middle, in my arms.

a huge dog and 2 cats... they were all kicked out of bed looong ago

It makes nighttime more peaceful because I can just roll over and tend to DS2 vs. one of us having to tromp through the cold house to get a screaming baby (and ultimately getting pissy with each other because our sleep is so disrupted). It does make spontaneous woopie more of a challenge for us. :

When DS1 was 6 weeks old he was sleeping on my chest and rolled on to the floor BUT my situation was unique in that we were co-sleeping in a hospital bed after I broke my leg and I was doped up on Vicodin :

As good as anyone with a 2 year old who still night wakes a couple of times a week and a newborn can get

We have a co-sleeper on my side of the bed. Honestly DS2 spends most of the night in my arms in the bed with me but I really like having the co-sleeper there as our safety net. It also holds bottles of water and burp cloths quite nicely. If I could have convinced DH to take apart our crib, move it across the house and side-car it to our bed we would have skipped the co-sleeper option.
#24 of 89 Old 04-05-2005, 04:17 AM

1. Why do you cosleep?

It doesn't feel "right" to me to have a child further away from me, while I sleep, than I believe she is mature enough to handle comfortably without help from monitors, crib bars, gates, etc. For an infant, that means the only place is in bed next to dh and me. (They need a body, and close proximity in order for us to be able to waken to their signals before they become distressed.) At 3yo, my dd has no trouble navigating space alone at night, but she would still get scared and feel separated from the rest of the family if sleeping in a separate room.

I love how co-sleeping encourages night nursing *with little effort from me*. If I had to fully awaken and keep track, I would not have been able to nurse my dd many times a night during her first 2 years, and remain happy, well-rested, and unresentful. It has also facilitated our very laid back approach to sleep routines. Sometimes if dd1 is still not asleep by the time dh and I are ready for bed, we will get in bed together and read books. I realized recently that it can take as long as an hour before dd falls asleep this way, if she's not especially tired, but I don't notice or mind, because it's pleasant and cozy to snuggle in bed as a family and read. Oh, and once we realized that dd1 was certainly not going to need a separate bedroom within the next lease period, we were freed to move from a 2br apt (which we'd thought we needed for her) to a 1br, which is cheaper (and thus helps allow us to continue to stay/work at home) and easier to keep clean.

Until a mutually agreeable (mostly child-led, but if guided by a clear insight I would nudge it along) time.

Dh (33), me (25), dd1 (3.5 years), and dd2 (3 weeks).

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't mind...what size are you and DP?

We have a queen and a twin, in opposite corners of our bedroom. About half the time, dd1 starts out the night in the twin, then comes into the queen with everyone else when she wakes up (could be middle of the night, or not until morning). Sometimes, dh wakes up early in the morning feeling squished, and moves into the twin to finish sleeping. Dh is pretty large, I am about average, in size. So yes, that is one cozy queen sized bed when we are all sleeping in it.

Having children has changed our relationship, but I don't think co-sleeping per se has...

When dd1 had first learned to crawl, she crawled out of bed several times. Around the barriers I erected -- she was clearly determined and trying to learn how to crawl out, which she did by the end of the several times. She got some bumps on the head in the process, but nothing serious.

Yes. I don't remember waking up for most nursings, and am back asleep almost immediately after I have my newborn securely latched on (or after I take off her wet diaper and trek into the bathroom to see if she still wants to go in the sink and return to bed and replace the diaper and get her latched on ...)

When dd1 was younger (say, from crawling age to 21 months? I can't remember exactly), we had an old comforter folded in quarters, covered with a "crib" quilt, on the floor next to our bed. We sometimes put her down on that when we wanted to be intimate, then brought her back into bed with us. We never used siderails, but we did try to have something (e.g. a chair, a small table) blocking dd from rolling out of bed. Now we have our mattress on the floor, which is fun and cozy and helps us allow us to all fit comfortably (I feel comfortable being, or putting a kid, much closer to the edge -- I mean, we can hang off of it onto the floor, if we like).

Oye Yemaya oloto
#25 of 89 Old 04-05-2005, 05:36 AM

1. Why do you cosleep? Because we believe it is the best and most natural way to sleep...the thought of leaving my dd in a room all alone just scares me..plus it sure makes night nursing easy

2. How long do you plan to cosleep? At what age do you think a child should be in their own bed? Until she is ready to sleep alone...I am hoping that this will be sometime between 3 and 5, but honestly I don't know...I am planning on having her sleep with her future next youngest sibling..I think that co sleeping with siblings is also a great idea...perhaps they will sleep on a a seperate mattress in our room first, we'll take it as it comes I guess.

3. How many are sleeping in your bed now, what are their ages?Only one..our dd is 7 months old

4. How big is your bed? And if you don't don't mind...what size are you and DP? Our bed is a double and dh is very slim and I am heavier, 200lbs and 5'3'' ...we seem to fit alright, but I do have a cosleeper that dh made along with out bed fram that fits next to the bed to give me or dd extra room depending on which side I am nursing on.

5. If you have pets, where do they sleep? We have 3 cats and although I love sleeping with them I am sensitive to their fur so they were kicked out of the bedroom long before dd came along, mores the pity We wouldn't have let them sleep in the bed with dd though, not enough room and I don't like the idea...plus they would probably wake her up, knowing our cats.

6. How has cosleeping changed your relationship with DP or has it? Yes we have to baby dance outside the bed mostly. The cosleeper helps, but she likes our mattress better...and we don't snuggle as much cause we are both snuggling her, but we both sleep just fine.

7. Ever had any problems with anyone getting hurt? Not one.

8. Do you and DP get a good night's sleep? Yeah he doesn't even wake when she does and I barely do most times. I have problems getting to sleep but that was the way LONG before dd came along.

9. Do you use anything other than your bed? I mean, like a cosleeper or siderails? Dh built a cosleeper on the side, mostly because we only have a double and he is a sprawler...when we get a king we probably won't use it. It is a great place to put books and an extra pillow though!
#26 of 89 Old 04-05-2005, 06:30 AM

1. Why do you cosleep?
It just seemed natural. He was born in our bed, and when on his first night he snuggled in with us. We could hear him breathe, we could check that he was ok. If he woke up and needed us, we were there. He learned not to cry because there was no need. All he does is ask for help, and he has it.

He'll sleep with us as long as he likes. When he asks for a bed, he'll get one. The plan is to get him another little mattress to put near ours, then when he's ready, his own room. I don't really have a set age, I think every child's needs are different.

My husband (25), myself (24) and our son (17 months).

We have two queen size mattresses on the floor. So we have tons and tons of room, which is great. We're both tall and fairly substantial people, but we're not obese.

Animals got booted out, dander/overlaying concerns. Not to mention the possiblity of them waking little man up.

Its made us closer. We love to watch our little cherub at night. Sex is also waaay more fun, as we have to sneak around the house like naughty high schoolers.

Nope. Just use common sense.

Ryder started sleeping 5 hours a stretch at 2 months old. Now he sleeps 12 hour nights with two wake ups to feed, then a 7-8 hour stretch from latenight to morning. DH doesn't even wake up, and truthfully, I barely wake up. He just attaches and is back to sleep within the minutes.

As we're on a mattress on the floor, there's no need. We butt the side of the mattress up against the wall, so he can't roll off.

I can't say enough good things about co-sleeping.

Good luck!
#27 of 89 Old 04-05-2005, 08:53 AM

1. Why do you cosleep?
Because it felt right, right from the first night she was born. I loved having her close to me, and I got a better night's sleep, as I could BF her in bed and doze off.

At this stage, DD is almost 17 months, and we're co-sleeping for part of the night. She starts out in her own crib, and comes in with us around 3am. I don't think there's a set age when a child should be in her own bed. It depends on the child, the parents, and the family.

Me (36), DH (39), DD (16 1/2 months)

We have a king size bed, but when DD was born we had a queen. I'm very small, just 5 feet, and DH isn't big either (he's a bit tubby, but he's only 5'8).

We have two cats, and most nights they are curled up at the bottom of the bed, on my legs, or next to DH.

DH was uncomfortable sleeping next to a tiny baby, so for the first few months he slept in the spare room. He still got up to do all the diaper changes, etc, he just wasn't comfortable being in the bed until she was a bit bigger. That didn't really affect our relationship, though. If anything, co-sleeping has made us closer, because it's such a lovely, snuggling thing to do as a family.

Never. Well, except for one morning last month when DD jumped off the bed! But that wasn't really a co-sleeping incident.

Yes. I wouldn't have survived the first 6 months or so if we weren't cosleeping. The only time I don't get a good night's sleep is when DH snores.

My parents bought us a bassinette co-sleeper, but we didn't use it much, except for naps sometimes. The cats enjoyed it, though!
#28 of 89 Old 04-05-2005, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl
1. Why do you cosleep?
Several reasons - it's easier to breastfeed during the night, and I just don't want to be separated from my little baby!!! I can't sleep alone, why do I expect a baby to be able to? I just can't stand the thought of my baby all by him/herself in another room! I don't know how I could be an effective parent if I willingly separate myself from my children!

Quote:
It's totally up to each individual child. DS slept in our bed until he was 20 months or so, then he decided he wanted to be with us but not in our bed, so he slept on a pallet on the floor for another 10 months or so. When he was 2 1/2, he was ready to sleep in his own room. He often comes into our bed in the morning. We'll let DD make up her own mind, too.

Quote:
two adults, one 5 wk old, and in the morning, a 3 1/2 year old, and a very large cat. OY! I will honestly say it does get crowded!

Quote:
We have a queen. I'm postpartum now so I'm still 10 lbs over what I normally am of 145 lbs and 5'8". DH is 5'10" and 250 lbs. He also sleeps with a CPAP.

Quote:
A cat, and he sleeps on top of my legs, between my legs, next to my legs, etc.

Quote:
Of course it's changed our relationship - but that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just different. We have to get creative about our sexual life, I don't get to snuggle with him in bed as much as I like, as we've got children between us, and we don't just get to lollygag around in bed and talk about whatever, but I think that's true of anyone with children, no matter where they sleep.

Quote:
never.

Quote:
As good as anyone else with small children! I'd even say we get more sleep than people who don't co-sleep. I don't have to get out of bed to nurse, so I know that I get more sleep!

Quote:
Right now we have a co-sleeper on my side of the bed. DD is never in it, but it's used as a safe guard in case she should roll off the bed. We used it for that for DS, too, and he NEVER rolled off the bed, and I don't expect DD to, either. But better safe than sorry, y'know? Probably in a few months, we'll take the co-sleeper down and put the guardrails back up. Some people put their mattress directly on the floor, but I've got too much stuff stored underneath my bed to be able to do that! :LOL
#29 of 89 Old 04-05-2005, 10:25 AM

1. Why do you cosleep?

It's the easiest way to night time parent. No getting up to nurse, baby falls asleep faster, sleeps longer, I sleep better with my baby close to me.

I have co-slept for 22 almost 23 years. My kids went into their own beds when they felt like it, some where as young as 2, one still comes in occasionally (9) and one's still here more often than not.

My 5 year old is still in my bed more aften than not. He starts out in his room and migrates back most nights.

I have a queen. I'm rather fluffy, but dh is a rail. Doesn't matter, they both end up on top of me anyway. :

My cat sleeps with my ds (20) who does not co-sleep anymore (whew!). Although, when my kids (even the teens) are bothered about something, they'll come lie down with me and discuss their issues. They see it as a safe space for them to be open and they must feel protected there. The dogs sleep in the kitchen. The iguanas sleep in their cage.

No. Parenting has changed our relationship.

No.

Dh never woke up after the first few weeks of co-sleeping, except to roll over and throw an arm over both of us while I nursed the baby, sometimes plant a kiss on baby's head. I slept much better after a few weeks when I didn;t have to sit up to nurse.

No, mattress on the floor with young ones, bed pushed to the wall.
#30 of 89 Old 04-09-2005, 03:11 PM

1. Why do you cosleep?
I've always felt more comfortable with DS right there. It made nursing and night feeds so much easier. DH and I both slept better and got a lot more rest when cosleeping than we did the few days we tried the crib. DS is a lot happier and more secure than the children we know who don't cosleep. There are a ton of reasons but those are the biggest.

We still cosleep and DS will be 2 at the end of May. We've begun trying to transition him to his own bed but he still comes and gets into bed with us about halfway through the night, and that's perfectly fine with us. The only reason we're doing that is I'm 31 weeks pg with #2 and DS and DH are both big bed hogs and it's just getting uncomfortable with that many people in the bed and no room for me to move much. lol

Just DS atm, and he's almost 2yo

We have a California King. :-) I'm 5'5" and normally around 130. (currently 170 and hugely pg). DH is 5'9" and about 200lbs.

We have two dogs and they sleep in their crates next to our bed.

I think it's made us both appreciate time with each other more. We still cuddle as much as ever but we generally sneak off for adult activity during the day instead of at bedtime, primarily because I'm way too exhausted by then. The afternoon romps are more exciting though because it's this whole big rendezvous and it's more spontaneous. I have definitely fallen more deeply in love with DH since cosleeping. There's nothing more heartwarming than seeing my son snuggled up to his daddy with them both sleeping in the same position and everything. It's the cutest thing!

nope. :-) Unless you count me getting kicked by DS. lol

yup!

we used siderails when ds was rolling a ton but not big enough for DH to feel comfortable with him in the middle. DH is a pretty heavy sleeper and he was worried about rolling onto him. We don't use anything now though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page