Be honest, don't just recite the AAP -- baby and sleeping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2005, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been reading The Happiest Baby On The Block. I have to say out of most the baby books I have read in 9 years this is probably one of the best ones I have read. There is a lot of discussion about laying in the side/stomach position, of course, he says over and over again to put babies to sleep on their backs. Now trust me, I have read the research on SIDS and the putting babies on their back to sleep, I personally don't buy it about the sleeping position. Of the babies I do know that have died of SIDS, all of them were sleeping on their backs, all of them were breastfed and all of them were born to non-smokers.

Anyway, when my daughter was born we were told to lay a baby to sleep on their side. When Dylan was born on their back, same with Jack. But with Jack, I only did that a few times before I put him on his stomach for naps in the crib (we coslept at night). Now I want to know from experienced moms, or grandmas, when you didn't have your babies with you or on you, how did you have them sleep, and if they did sleep on their side or stomach did you notice they slept better and were less fussy than if they were in other positions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2005, 09:51 PM

Being perfectly honest, I would have to say that I usually had my youngest sleep on her stomach from when she was a newborn up until she was old enough to roll over on her own (which was about 3 months old). That was really the only way she would sleep for any amount of time without jerking awake.

When she sleeps with me she has always slept on her side curled up into me and that works well for her too.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:53 PM

My boys both slept on their backs when sleeping solo.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:58 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
With DS, we put him "back-to-sleep". Always. We also vaccinated him. With DD, we are not vaccinating her and we have no other SIDS worries, so we tried tummy sleeping. We also swaddled her because she had a huge startle reflex and would wake herself up. So, swaddled and on tummy in bed for nighttime; swaddled and on tummy in crib for naps. Worked fabulously for us.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:12 PM

My daughter slept on her side, next to me.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:15 PM

Both my boys were tummy sleepers & we cosleep. Again, if they were on their backs or sides they woke a LOT!
Old 04-21-2005, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
When DS was born he would not sleep if he was on his back. For the first two weeks he slept on his stomach on my chest. Then we wised up and tried cosleeping - much better results. He would occasionally sleep on his back but the majority of the time he slept on his side snuggled up against me.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 04-21-2005, 10:17 PM

I totally advocate the back to sleep deal. However, my DS (who's now 13mo) started sleeping on his tummy after 1mo. He had GERD and it was painful for him on his back. He also didn't like sleeping on his side. So, my boy was a tummy sleeper.

As a newborn, he'd scream in pain after sleeping on his back for 20mins. Slept him on his tummy, with an incline in his bed and the pain was gone! Now, I put him to sleep on his back, since he's outgrown GERD (acid reflux), but he'll roll to his belly anyway...
Old 04-21-2005, 10:20 PM

Co-sleeping from day 1 - and DS was mostly on his side. If he rolled/wiggled/fell in one direction or the other (front or back sleeping) I assure you I did NOT attempt to shift him to some position that *I* wanted him in! Never wake a sleeping baby, I say.

So, while napping, or if solo in the early evening hours, he was on his side, with PILLOWS (ah, the horror!) until I could take the place of that pillow and snuggle into him.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

I hope more moms will continue to answer. I really appreciate the honesty! In fact a lot of moms have secretly told me they put their babies to sleep on their sides or on their stomachs. My Ped just recites that AAP but then told me that his belief is that if a baby is going to die of SIDS they will die of it no matter how they slept and that every five years or so it changes on how they want babies to sleep.

Could I cross post this somewhere else to get more responses?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:40 PM

I've had three babies with reflux, and all three slept on their tummys.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:44 PM

My son slept on his tummy from the beginning, and it's still the only way he sleeps. Lauren is a back sleeper. She will NOT sleep on her tummy, even laying on me.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:44 PM

My first ds wouldn't sleep solo. Unless he was in his carseat or swing. So I either went to bed w/ him for naps or nursed him to slep and put him in the swing.

Ds2 was on his back. Or realy his side I guess. He'd roll from his back to side even the first few days after birth.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:45 PM

since I know some one who almost lost her baby to SIDS (was actually in the sling at the time and they were able top resucitate), and eventually did loose him 18 months later to complications related to the original incident, i would do anything i can do to prevent it. i can't remember the stats, but the reduction in SIDS rates between tummy sleeping and back sleeping are major. So, my kids slept on their backs until they were able to roll themselves into another position, even while cosleeping
Old 04-21-2005, 10:55 PM

My daughter would never sleep more than a few minutes on her back. We co-slept from birth, she on her side facing me. Occasionally she would roll forward and be more belly down than truly on her side. As she got older, 3+months, she would sometimes sleep on her back if she was well propped
up in arms or lap but would never fall asleep that way.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:03 PM

Another tummy sleeper here. Cole wouldn't sleep more than a few minutes on his back before he jerked himself awake. I would put him on his tummy for naps, but had him in a bassinet in the same room as me so I could keep an eye on him. At night before we went to bed, he was on his side in a co-sleeper, but he tended to roll so he was halfway onto his tummy anway. Once in bed w/us he went between side and tummy. He held his head up and then was able to roll over pretty early...both of which helped ease my concern over him being on his belly. Recommendations are all well and good, but 5 minutes of sleep at a stretch isn't healthy for anyone and I did what was best for all of us. I would do the same with this babe if they had the same sleep problems.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:06 PM

Always, always, always on her back.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:13 PM

We would soothe DS in a tummy down position sometimes (one of the dr sears books has a picture of something called the "colic carry"). We always had him sleep on his back though. For what it's worth our pediatrician advised against having DS sleep on his tummy, even if we were there watching him sleep. He said if our son stopped breathing due to SIDS we would not be able to revive him even if we were right there. Did not research this to see if there is evidence that supports this. Like a pp, the stats about SIDS rates and sleeping postion were enough to convince me. Good luck with sorting this out!
Old 04-21-2005, 11:14 PM

When ds was sleeping solo he slept on his back. If he was sleeping on or next to me he slept on his side. Honestly, that kid could probably sleep hanging upside down for all he cares. He was pretty easy that way. If a baby can't stay asleep on their back then trying to force it sounds more like torture than safety.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dd had awful reflux as an infant...Back sleep lasted.. a night. Side sleeping another 2 or 3. Then tummy. Then tummy on an incline. For, oh, the next 6 months, heh. That incline made me glad I'd gotten the co-sleeper rather than just figuring on my bed. Well, the incline, and all the recycled-milky sheets
Old 04-22-2005, 01:18 AM

I was told by the doc that side sleeping was best for newborns but when they did that the babies would roll onto their stomachs. So they switched to back sleeping as the recommendation to prevent roll over

I really think its all kind of silly. But my babies will sleep with me which alleviates my fear of SIDS. Perhaps if my child slept alone for long periods of time I'd be more set on back sleeping.

When dd napped we did use blankets or her side positioner to keep her on her side.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 04-22-2005, 01:33 AM
kel

I did the same - I always put my kids to sleep on their sides, with a receiving blanket or two rolled up tight beside them to keep them there. At night they slept on their sides next to me and sometimes rolled onto their backs.

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

Old 04-22-2005, 01:54 AM

With my first I placed her on her back. At 2 weeks I placed her in the bassinet to fed our pet birds. I turned around and found her choking on vomit . She couldn't roll over, couldn't spit it out. She couldn't cry. I thought ok, freak thing. How often will that happen? Happened again a week later. She slept on her stomach after that. At night she co slept with us, but during the day it was in a bassinet.

For later babies I got a side sleeper. One of those positioner things to keep them on their side so they can't roll over onto their backs. Thats worked the best for us. And they don't develop flat heads like what has been seen since the BTS campaign started. I also have one of those bassinets with the mesh sides so the air circulates. I haven't noticed them being any easier to startle because they aren't on their stomachs.

My mom was told to put babies to sleep on their stomachs. I have heard the same from other mothers her age. So I do think its tends to change every generation.

According to the CDC between '92 and '98 stomach sleeping fell from 70% to 17% and SIDS declined from 1.2 live births to .72 live births. I think it would be more telling to know how many SIDS babies slept on their stomachs. With the BTS campaign they have also been getting the word out not to use pillows and stuffed animals in the cribs and bassinets so that might also have something to do with it.

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:00 AM

With ds1 we tried the back-to-sleep thing, but no one in our house got any sleep that way. Once we started co-sleeping, he slept great either on his side or on his tummy if he rolled that way. I was concerned the first time I woke up to find him on his tummy and asked my ped. He said if he can roll to that position then he can breathe fine in that position...he'll roll over if he has trouble.

Both other 2 sons have done pretty much the same thing so I didn't worry about it. Interesting question, Kim
Old 04-22-2005, 02:15 AM

There are so many variables with SIDS

I think it's important to understand and be aware of the risk factors and risk reducing techniques so that each family can make an informed decision that they're comfortable with and works best for the individual baby. The AAP is interested in public health---a one-size fits all sound bite to increase awareness. This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

All of three of mine have slept next to me, on their sides or however they were during the night from day one.
My niece died at 6 months while sleeping on her back. She had vomited and choked on her vomit. I know it's anecdotal, but I've always felt the need to keep close to my babies in hope that if they were vomiting, I'd be fast to respond. And, well, it's worked---I've been thrown up several times in the middle of the night, happy to have been there

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 04-22-2005, 03:31 AM

Both of my kids slept (sleep) with us and on their tummies.

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
Old 04-22-2005, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate all the replys.
Just for the record, I am not going to do something based just on a AAP recomendation or what I read here on MDC, I am going to do what works. I was just curious as to what other mothers were doing, and if they followed the guideline of back to back sleeping.
As I said all the babies that I have personally known die of SIDS died with no risk factors and were all sleeping on their backs (one even died on his back sleeping next to mom during nap). We have no risk factors for SIDS that I am aware of. One of the reasons I did ask though, is because my husband really doesnt want to cosleep or bed share. I think I have mentioned this before. The baby will be in our room but bed sharing, well he is just over it. I think he is fine with it when they are newborns, young infants, but when they get to be big bedhogs, we all suffer (even our children). So I know that in the beginning its not going to be an issue, though I will be using a crib because I do have three other kids and a house to run, but I have a feeling once they can start sitting up, it may become an issue. I just want to do the right thing for everyone.
Last night I was reading that babies who sucked on pacifiers had a reduction of SIDS. A friend of mine had told me this and I thought she was full of it, but evidently its true?! I am considering using a paci with this kid too. I feel pretty confident in my breastfeeding abilities at this point and I don't think I can be a human paci again.

Keep sharing! I hope some more moms will come over and answer!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 10:48 AM

onthefence, do you have a link to the pacifier research? i'm interested in reading it. i wonder what kind of controls were used? if the biological norm is unrestricted access to the breast, and babies who are *not* allowed to have their sucking needs met have a higher risk??? interesting.

a friend of mine's dd died of SIDS her first day in daycare (at four months). she was napping on her back with a pacifier--again, ya never know

good luck w/your research !

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 04-22-2005, 11:24 AM

The few times I could get ds down on his own before he was rolling over, he slept on his side. He just slept better that way. That's how they generally had him when he was in the NICU so that's how I laid him down at home. *shrug* He was more comfortable that way and slept better.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

I read it in The Happiest Baby On The Block and then saw a reference to it on KellyMom. I also found this http://www.sidscenter.org/Downloads/...0pacifiers.htm

If you google it you will find all kinds of information about it. I always thought it was bunk, but evidently its not all bunk.

My last baby was really dreamy in that he would eat every 3-4 hours at one breast and then sleep or contently be held or swing. (I'm a milk cow for sure, he weighed 20lbs at 4m old) He definitely didn't have that strong need to suck like my older two did. Well on my last two US, especially the 4D one, this baby is just a sucking away. I mean I have a picture of her where it looks like she is trying to mouth my placenta! My daughter used the breast as a pacifier but I had no other kids at the time so I would just sit for hours reading with a baby on my boob -- thats just pretty much not going to happen now.

User Tag List