johnson&johnson ad, what's wrong with this picture - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 87 Old 04-25-2005, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lucky dog, poor baby.

Our dog got the boot from the bed as soon as the baby was born. J&J definately has their priorities messed up.
#62 of 87 Old 04-25-2005, 02:22 PM

LOL... we did the dog and the baby thing, a pushy wiener dog and a nursey baby... all night long.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#63 of 87 Old 04-25-2005, 02:43 PM

The ad is meant to show the value and usefulness of the product. As far as I'm concerned, the ad can be interpreted as saying that the lotion works so well, that your baby would even sleep happily in a crib, although we all know babies only sleep that blissfully in bed with the babies' DPs (and maybe even the family dog)

According to this view, it's a purely AP commercial, and J&J is brilliant at showing the effectiveness of their product.

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#64 of 87 Old 04-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodawn
I hesitated to post here, because it started to get pretty heated, and some of the "non-AP" things we've had to do due to my son's illness still make me sad....

Anyway, that is my two cents...I rarely post because I sort of don't fit in anywhere. That said, after 8 long months, much fighting with doctors and much research on our part, we found the right combination of drugs, and my son is a happy, pain-free baby. The sling saved my life I think, he practically lived in there the first four months of his life.

:
Dawn, I'm so glad your son is doing well and you were able to post about it. It really helps to talk about it and there are so many people on these boards who have similar issues and a great deal of compassion. I hope you find you are able to post and find the support you need. I know what you mean about not fitting in anywhere. AP wishes before birth and AP realities are two different things. I hurts because you read about it, see it in action and know it's exactly what you want for your child. Then, as it turns out we give birth to individual human beings who have their very own needs that we need to figure out and fulfill and they are unique. Such is life. It would be so much easier if we could just shove our lives into a mold.

Vic:-)
#65 of 87 Old 04-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannymom
I can't beleive you think this is what's happening! It seems like you just want to get mad about this. I feel harassed at MDC b/c it seems like if you have a strong oppinion you'll be accused of harassing people.
I was just making a point, I'm not saying it is or isn't happenning. Again, interesting discussion to make one think.
#66 of 87 Old 04-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richelle
Vicitoria, I was just thinking, that you posted the UA quote which says we are not to "bait" or be "adversarial", but you are the one who keeps openly saying you're trying to start a debate or take the opposing side, just to see what happens. That is baiting, if you ask me. Just a thought. Not that I don't enjoy a nice debate, but purposely starting one just for the sake of seeing how everyone reacts is definitely baiting them. If I'm wrong, someone correct me.
What I said in my first posts were definitely my opinion and quite personal. What I try to do with something I feel so strongly about is try and grow from it and take it to the next level to give myself things to think about. I though perhaps others may want to come along for the ride of personal growth. Sorry if I offended. It was not my intent to bait nor my intent to be offensive or defensive. Just trying to make a point. Definitely my very own opinion and point. I just think the UA means we shouldn't bash anything or anyone. I personally felt bashed by the post itself saying "What's wrong with this picture?" Maybe I should have said "absolutely nothing" and moved on but I though perhaps other would like to see the other side of the perfect coin.

Richelle, we should meet sometime for a drink. Talk about some passionate discussions! Then again we'd probably sit and get a kick out of our kids playing together!
#67 of 87 Old 04-26-2005, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicitoria
AP takes so much energy, why waste it?
Nothing to do with anything, but I know that I have a lot more energy at 35 using AP principles (which come naturally to me in the first place) than my friends in their 20s did parenting in, well, other styles. AP is so easy!

As for the ad, the picture in my head bugs me in so many ways!

I'm not a sleeping-with-animals kind of person. They lick their bits and try to lick you, they stick their bums in your face! Bleah! (we tried to let our cat, my first indoor cat, sleep with us because we adore her, but it was just too gross for me. the allergies didn't help, either.) As for dogs, good gracious that's just too much for me! I was raised by Alaskan Malamutes, and we slept in waterbeds...dog on bed was NOT going to happen!

Then there's the sleeping-with-door-open thing, as someone mentioned the view is from the crib to the parent's room and obviously doors are open. I hate doing that! Sometimes DH doesn't close the door all the way, and if I wake up to see that I have to push aside my thoughts of "there's a bad guy in the hallway, there's a ghost right there, ack ack ack" to get up and close the dang door so I can get back to sleep. Sometimes I have to just force myself to go back to sleep b/c the fear of what's on the other side is too high for me to touch the door. So the fact that baby's and parent's room doors were open, augh.

So how's that for a bizarre reaction to the print ad?

As for J&J, naaaasty. So many people think it smells like a baby, but to me (after a few years of not smelling it at all) it just smells like chemicals. Then again, according to the warning someone posted, I should stay away from it anyway!

We use lavender oil in DS's wipes solution, so he smells like it anyway.
#68 of 87 Old 04-26-2005, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messac888
More and more people are using organic products- the commerical most definitely wasn't for organic products. But it is nonetheless a commercial, and I still like their lavendar lotion- I use it on myself! Untill I find a lotion recipe to make my own lavendar lotion that leaves my skin feeling comparabe, I will probably continue to use J&J lavendar lotion. I have bought all of ONE bottle since my ds was born almost 3 years ago. Please don't hurt me! :
i understand you i think it's going to take us at least 3 years to go through a bottle of baby lotion or soap in this house, too! less is definitely more.

i looked into making my own lavender lotion, i couldn't find a baby-specific recipe for the safe amount of essential oil. (if anyone has a recipe, PM me please?) even natural, organic things can be unsafe for babies, we just need to do the research. i mean, some essential oils can irritate pretty badly. we're all pale, sensitive-skin types here so we're super careful about spot-testing.

re commercials and ads: it would be nice to see co-sleeping in an ad, like for a mattress or bedding. actually, i've seen one ad for, i think it was a fabric softener, with a dad sleeping in bed with his son. it made me smile

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#69 of 87 Old 04-29-2005, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

hey there, op here! i started this thread and then went out of town with no computer access. and can i just tell you all how excited i am that this is my first post where it actually brewed up some "discussions"! i know, how sad!

but really, i was so shocked this morning. i understand what some of the posters are trying to say, but really i was posting this in this particular forum because i didn't want to offend non cosleeping families. i was merely posting this to like minded moms to see if i was the only one who found it not in support of co sleeping. i was not attacking non ap families. or non cosleeping families. and that's my cue, ds just woke up from his nap. i will continue later.
#70 of 87 Old 04-30-2005, 03:04 PM

Personally, the idea of Johnson and Johnson using a happily sleeping dog in an ad for thier animal-tested products is a bit off putting to me. But I don't buy their stuff already, so I guess they don't care what I think!
#71 of 87 Old 05-03-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyeilis
As for J&J, naaaasty. So many people think it smells like a baby, but to me (after a few years of not smelling it at all) it just smells like chemicals. Then again, according to the warning someone posted, I should stay away from it anyway!
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip
Personally, the idea of Johnson and Johnson using a happily sleeping dog in an ad for thier animal-tested products is a bit off putting to me. But I don't buy their stuff already, so I guess they don't care what I think!
Also, for those MDCers who are pro-life, J&J are major corporate supporters of Planned Parenthood... just FYI.
#72 of 87 Old 05-03-2005, 01:40 PM

Weird, I had no idea they support PP. Well, that might give me the teeniest bit more respect for them... but, rubbing soap into the eyes of bunnies might cancel that out.

#73 of 87 Old 05-03-2005, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyeilis
I was raised by Alaskan Malamutes
:LOL Really? That must have been some upbringing! Sorry, couldn't resist!

That ad would bother me, too. It just screams the idea that it's ok for a dog to sleep with you but not your baby. When Nik was born our dog got the boot.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#74 of 87 Old 05-04-2005, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wende
You know, I bought that night time lotion thinking it would be nice and soothing...uhh, yeah, I'm not a label reader. Thank goodness dh is because this is what the back of the label reads:

And to think, I was going to use this on my chidren!!

The label warning didn't show up in my quote, but what i wanted to say is I think they have to put a warning like that on anything that contains chamomile because it is related to ragweed(I think) that many are allergic to. Not sure, but I've seen that on other products containing chamomile.

Also, ads like this, I agree, just perpetuate the idea that a baby's place is in the crib down the hall, an image which negatively influences families who want to co-sleep because they have to fight it all the time.

Although the positive of this ad is that it encourages parents to spend time massaging lotion into their babies when they might not otherwise.
#75 of 87 Old 05-04-2005, 12:37 PM

Baby massage is pretty well known, even to the mainstream. This ad also perpetuates the myth that partners won't get "alone time" unless the baby is in the crib. One of the most annoying arguments against co-sleeping is that it interferes with intimacy.

#76 of 87 Old 05-04-2005, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena
Baby massage is pretty well known, even to the mainstream. This ad also perpetuates the myth that partners won't get "alone time" unless the baby is in the crib. One of the most annoying arguments against co-sleeping is that it interferes with intimacy.
That is annoying when people think co-sleeping interferes with intimacy.....but I tell you, a baby that isn't sleeping *reeeeeally* interferes with "intimacy".... whether he's laying nearby or down the hall.
#77 of 87 Old 05-06-2005, 03:55 AM

I mentioned to my dh that I was running low on hand lotion and wanted something that smelled really nice. I use a lot of lavender scented stuff (shampoo, etc) so guess what he picked up? Yep. His reasoning "well, it's lavender scented, and I know you like to use hand lotion before you go to bed..."

So cut to 2 weeks later. Him "I don't really like that smell, can you use one of the others?" :LOL Fortunately I got a huge supply from SIL. Nights he's not going to be around, I'll use the J&J, don't know how it does on baby skin, but it's nice on mine.
#78 of 87 Old 05-06-2005, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena
Weird, I had no idea they support PP. Well, that might give me the teeniest bit more respect for them... but, rubbing soap into the eyes of bunnies might cancel that out.
Ahahahaha, very nice. I agree!

Animal testing sucks, weird smelly chemicals suck, dogs-cozy-in-bed-while-baby-is-in-a-cage-down-the-hall sucks, not seeing the AP lifestyle reflected in mass media sucks, and J & J sucks.

Not to mention, if there really was a product that could really make your baby sleep through the night, it would cost a loooooot more than four bucks a bottle.
#79 of 87 Old 05-06-2005, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmom
hey there, op here! i started this thread and then went out of town with no computer access. and can i just tell you all how excited i am that this is my first post where it actually brewed up some "discussions"! i know, how sad!

but really, i was so shocked this morning. i understand what some of the posters are trying to say, but really i was posting this in this particular forum because i didn't want to offend non cosleeping families. i was merely posting this to like minded moms to see if i was the only one who found it not in support of co sleeping. i was not attacking non ap families. or non cosleeping families. and that's my cue, ds just woke up from his nap. i will continue later.
i wondered where you had got to i read your op and then the several that followed i was going to post about an ad that i had seen but things seemed to get off the topic so i kept quiet! well now your back i can have a rant to you about an ad on t.v that is for a product probably similar to the U.S tylenol. The voice over says we all know how important it is to get 8 hours sleep, now you can rest easy knowing that your child can have a pain free sleep with 'nurofen',; the baby is in the crib and the mother sneaks out turns the light off and shuts the door and stands on the other side with a releived look on her face. : yay lets just drug our babies up and forget about them for the rest of the night!
#80 of 87 Old 05-27-2005, 01:39 AM

But thought I'd throw in my .02.

The thing that makes me crazy about the J&J lavendar baths and whatnot is that they are so artificial.

I have bought lotions and potions in the hope of them getting a baby to sleep, but we are talking genuine essential oils - lavendar, chamomile etc. Not some lab-manufactured scent.

Frankly, I think J&J are trying to cash in on a trend towards things "aromatherapy" but I have my doubts about how genuine their products are.
#81 of 87 Old 05-27-2005, 01:45 AM

Not having any J&J crap to check the label, does it have sodium laureth sulphate? Never mind the lab manufactured scent....its SLS and parabens I won't have going near my babies!

ANd I take back the chamomile comment...my baby toiletries have rosemary and tea tree oil.
#82 of 87 Old 05-27-2005, 04:39 AM

ok cause i live primarily in a phantasy world, i came up with a great image everyone who is hurt and pissed by this ad can put in their heads to calm them. ok imagine your on the set of the commercial and you get to meet and learn more about the baby, his/her parents, the actors, and the dog.

Baby He's been AP raised and is only really sleeping that soundly because mom put him to sleep and is still very near-by just off camera and the strangers posing as mom and dad are safely far away.

The Real Parents They are wonderful dedicated parents who were not asked to star in the commercial because the producer said they looked too "REAL" (i.e. tired, worn, from their tireless tending to baby's needs and too into the baby to give the director the attention he wants.)

The actors both actors are trying to concieve and took the commerical so they could recieve a life time supply of baby products. they are soo amazed by real mom and dad's devotion and understanding of baby that they too become Ap parenting converts.

The Dog rescued from a kill shelter by a No Kill animal shelter after being declared a threat, this good dog soon warmed to people actually caring for him. When he's not snoozeing on command in commercials such as this one, he's working as a advocate against animal testing. After his trainer, handler, owner and best friend found out how J & J tests on animal, she staged a protest that managed to discourage several parents to switch from J&J for life.

I'm not telling the AP people on this tread they should just ignore or cover up their feelig about there being a lack of AP representation on TV. Nor am I urging non APers to use this silly story as any type of justification. I just wrote this because this is how i try to mentally improve things when I can't actually improve the situation. i don't mean to add to the tension.

Peace

Godmother to Brandon 8/04, Mama to furperson Dante .
#83 of 87 Old 05-27-2005, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I know this is slightly OT but I found this very interesting. You can find the safety rating of lots of household products that many use. Be careful, you can get sucked right in.

www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/browse_products.php
#84 of 87 Old 05-27-2005, 02:46 PM

Okay, I'm staying out of the whole debate and just mentioning that what really killed me about the ad is that the parents are fully covered up by blankets in the background and their baby is in just a diaper in the foreground.

Maybe it's because I'm someone who is always cold?

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#85 of 87 Old 05-27-2005, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother
ok cause i live primarily in a phantasy world, i came up with a great image everyone who is hurt and pissed by this ad can put in their heads to calm them. ok imagine your on the set of the commercial and you get to meet and learn more about the baby, his/her parents, the actors, and the dog.

Baby He's been AP raised and is only really sleeping that soundly because mom put him to sleep and is still very near-by just off camera and the strangers posing as mom and dad are safely far away.

The Real Parents They are wonderful dedicated parents who were not asked to star in the commercial because the producer said they looked too "REAL" (i.e. tired, worn, from their tireless tending to baby's needs and too into the baby to give the director the attention he wants.)

The actors both actors are trying to concieve and took the commerical so they could recieve a life time supply of baby products. they are soo amazed by real mom and dad's devotion and understanding of baby that they too become Ap parenting converts.

The Dog rescued from a kill shelter by a No Kill animal shelter after being declared a threat, this good dog soon warmed to people actually caring for him. When he's not snoozeing on command in commercials such as this one, he's working as a advocate against animal testing. After his trainer, handler, owner and best friend found out how J & J tests on animal, she staged a protest that managed to discourage several parents to switch from J&J for life.

I'm not telling the AP people on this tread they should just ignore or cover up their feelig about there being a lack of AP representation on TV. Nor am I urging non APers to use this silly story as any type of justification. I just wrote this because this is how i try to mentally improve things when I can't actually improve the situation. i don't mean to add to the tension.

Peace
i know what you are saying ehre. i try to see the postive side in life. but i feel like i have been bombarded lately with anti AP by several outlets and after seeing this ad, i had just had it and i needed to vent! but i do stand by the fact that i am bothered by this ad.

ayme371- thanks for that link. scary!
#86 of 87 Old 05-27-2005, 10:23 PM

LOL In MY house EVERYONE sleeps in the bed....mama, Zaker, the kitties...

--Melanie, proud co-sleeping mama to Zaker, 7 mos. and feline babies Dharma and Amira, who have also co-slept all their lives
: : :
I can't let a CAT 'CIO" why the heck would I do it to my SON??

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#87 of 87 Old 05-28-2005, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayme371
You can find the safety rating of lots of household products that many use. www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/browse_products.php

cool... thanks! I work in a pharmacy specializing in dermatology and it's nice to have one concise place to refer to for "safer" alternatives and exactly what the concerns are with the various chemicals. The argument that if you can't pronounce it, it must be bad for you doesn't work for me, because I can pronounce them all. Quite glibly! :LOL

I think that we have to remember that our discomfort with the image described by the OP is not because the ad is telling us that this is what you should do, or that what is happening in the ad reflects any reality, but that the ad represents mainstream thinking that says that you should buy something to make your baby sleep in a crib but it's ok if the dog sleeps in your bed.

While advertising does try to influence society, it also reflects what is considered normal in society.

It's not that the depicted image is bad, but that it represents society saying that it is to be expected. And that parents will bang their heads against walls and buy all kinds of junk and get really frustrated/angry and make their babies CIO to meet this expectation.

And I would totally buy some "shiznitz" that allowed me to have hot monkey sex. but it would be a different kind, to rub on DH, not DS!!!!! He's just so But I suppose cool porcupine sex is ok. ("careful, shhhhh")
-Lori

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page