johnson&johnson ad, what's wrong with this picture - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 87 Old 04-22-2005, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok, so you will have to imagine the ad in your head. it's an ad a friend of mine sent to me that she took from a mainstream mag (she didn't mention name of mag, though)

it's an ad for johnson bedtime cream

the shot is from baby's room where the baby is sleeping in his crib, and in the background you can see across the hall the parents' room where they are sleeping soundly with the family dog at the end of the bed.

and the ad reads:

When your baby sleep better, everyone sleeps better.

leave your baby's skin soft all night long by massaging her with new bedtime cream. it helps calm and relax your baby for a better night's sleep.

now i know that not everyone here co-sleeps, whcih is why i posted it here! imho, this ad just really rubs me the wrong way! and i ams ure other co-sleeping mamas will understand why!
#2 of 87 Old 04-22-2005, 09:40 PM

That add bugs me too!

Mom to Iris and Henry
#3 of 87 Old 04-22-2005, 09:45 PM

I love the fact that the DOG gets to spend the night in the parents' bed, but not their own child.
#4 of 87 Old 04-22-2005, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
I love the fact that the DOG gets to spend the night in the parents' bed, but not their own child.
That drives me crazy! I actually had someone tell me once that they could not have their baby sleep in their bed because they were worried about their dog suffocating the baby. Um, hello? Kick the dog out! It was like the thought never occured to them. Scary.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#5 of 87 Old 04-22-2005, 10:01 PM

ew. dogs in bed are gross!

*not a dog person.
#6 of 87 Old 04-22-2005, 10:05 PM

I'm a dog person. He slept with me, my husband & the 5 year old when he climbed into our bed. When the baby was born, the dog started sleeping on the couch. That was a no brainer for me. I've heard people say that too & it's so stupid!!! I've never seen the ad. It's too bad parents will buy ANYTHING to help their baby sleep, but the thought of putting them next to them is so foreign.
#7 of 87 Old 04-22-2005, 11:35 PM

You know, I bought that night time lotion thinking it would be nice and soothing...uhh, yeah, I'm not a label reader. Thank goodness dh is because this is what the back of the label reads:

Quote:
SAFETY WARNING: Keep this product out of reach of children. Do not use without consulting a doctor if child has asthma or allergies or if there is a family history of either. Serious breathing problems could occur.
And to think, I was going to use this on my chidren!!
#8 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

that's horrible about the warning label! how crazy is that!

i'll have to ask my friend which mag she found this in.
#9 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 09:49 AM

Have you senn the other J an J add? The one where baby and dad are sleeping on the couch together while mom is in the shower with some other product. She gets out, picjs up the baby and puts him in his crib then lays down on dad instead!

That one really gets my goat...why didn't she just lay down with both of them! grrrr....

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#10 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 10:52 AM

The dog argument is my standard retort to mainstream friends who questions why we co-sleep.

I always say - what's wrong with our society when it's never questioned to have your dog or cat in bed with you and your baby down the hall in a cage. But it's always questioned when your babe is in bed with you???!!!

We never owned a crib. I think they are just strange.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#11 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathrobeGoddess
Have you senn the other J an J add? The one where baby and dad are sleeping on the couch together while mom is in the shower with some other product. She gets out, picjs up the baby and puts him in his crib then lays down on dad instead!

That one really gets my goat...why didn't she just lay down with both of them! grrrr....
I saw that ad too and it really tee'd me off. Poor baby was so comfy!

Boston, I am also not a dog person ... : . I cant imagine having a dog in bed! I am however, a cat peson, and we have 2 cats who up until DS's birth slept in our bed with us. But after we brought DS home, the kitties were bought brand-new soft kitty beds in the hall next to the heat register. Our older cat, Merlin, has a cute but annoying habit of getting into bed next to DS and curling up next to him, keeping him warm. But then his fluffy tail (he's a longhair) always ends up right on DS's nose. so its the hall for him.

Lisa
#12 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Well, maybe Dad was getting baby to sleep while mom took a nice relaxing shower, and they were planning on having sex? Surely it's OK to put the baby in a safe place and have a little adult time for a few minutes?
#13 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Banned

Just because you co-sleep doesn't mean your baby might not need some help getting to sleep and the cream may help. And, your baby could possibly be more comfortable in it's own bed. How do you know if you've never tried it?

Honestly, don't get me wrong, if everyone here is so gung-ho about your AP parenting decisions why do you care about what everyone else in the world thinks? Do what you believe in because you know you can and let everyone else do the same. Everyone does what's right for them.
#14 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 11:51 AM

that ad would irk me too, because of the obvious "dog is ok in our bed, baby is not" connotation. they could have done the ad without the dog.

i've been using the J&J lavender lotion every night since Willow was 1 month old, (same product as the cream i wonder? haven't seen the ad)). it has the safety warning so we tested it on the top of one foot and waited to see how she did (no rash). then i put it on me, and she slept beside me and inhaled the scent and she did fine with it. so it's part of our nightly ritual, she gets a nice long massage and it is SO wonderful for both of us the thing is, since she sleeps with us, we also get to benefit from the wonderful warm lavender scent on her body! i wonder if J&J pointed that out in an ad, would it fly?

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#15 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 11:53 AM

Of course the advertising is ludicrous - cream will help a baby sleep? Maybe if it's BM cream and they ingest it

We let the kitties sleep on our bed. They drive me nuts though, because they get really affectionate when DS has JUST fallen asleep and try to walk all over him! They don't like him well enough to sleep close. But it's a family bed and pets are part of the family

- Alison
#16 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 12:08 PM

Quote:
...why didn't she just lay down with both of them! grrrr....
maybe she wanted to ride the baloney pony.
#17 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicitoria
Just because you co-sleep doesn't mean your baby might not need some help getting to sleep and the cream may help. And, your baby could possibly be more comfortable in it's own bed. How do you know if you've never tried it?

Honestly, don't get me wrong, if everyone here is so gung-ho about your AP parenting decisions why do you care about what everyone else in the world thinks? Do what you believe in because you know you can and let everyone else do the same. Everyone does what's right for them.
I don't understand why you posted this here. This is the co-sleeping forum and people are joking around about comercials that promote something we disagree with. It's not judgeing other people to be sick of seeing only mainstream night time parenting promoted in the media.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#18 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannymom
I don't understand why you posted this here. This is the co-sleeping forum and people are joking around about comercials that promote something we disagree with. It's not judgeing other people to be sick of seeing only mainstream night time parenting promoted in the media.
:

And also wanted to add that we are another fam with baby and furry mammals in bed. Our bed is on the floor ... the dog's decided to have her own bed right next to DH since the babe AND the cat sleep with us now.

I still always find dog hair in between DS's toes... :LOL

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#19 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicitoria
Everyone does what's right for them.
Yeah, but not everyone does what's right (Best.) for their baby.
#20 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
Yeah, but not everyone does what's right (Best.) for their baby.
#21 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Banned

Only a parent known what is best for their child. We have co-slept with ds and the dog and the dog likes to be wherever ds is as long as ds isn't trying to pull his hair out or on his tail.

I just think that as AP parents WE often think it's the best for everybody when in fact that's not true. Each individual has to decide what's best for themselves. We know as AP parents we are judged by non-AP parents. Does that make it OK to judge back?

But, I forgot, the whole thread is just a joke anyway. Silly me.
#22 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 03:22 PM

Um... this is MDC. We're an AP community. If you want to go somewhere where people don't advocate for the AP lifestyle you might want to check out Babycenter.

Maybe you want to read the UA again?

http://www.mothering.com/mdc/rulesgu...vertising.html

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#23 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena
Um... this is MDC. We're an AP community. If you want to go somewhere where people don't advocate for the AP lifestyle you might want to check out Babycenter.

Maybe you want to read the UA again?

http://www.mothering.com/mdc/rulesgu...vertising.html

Sheena I was going to acuse of being hostile but then i read the ua and realized you are (as always) right

Mom to Iris and Henry
#24 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 04:00 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#25 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 04:09 PM

here we go again!

I just LOVE it when people refer non ap members to babycenter.
#26 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 04:11 PM

They spend all night cuddling their dog instead of their baby? Strange...and maybe even a little sick....

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#27 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Banned

The Baby Center, from what I've read on it has a lot of people talking about AP techniques.

Yes, I know I like to stir things up sometimes, yes, pull up the popcorn and enjoy the show.

Why should we waste our time putting down that which we do not think is AP instead of building up in a positive manner. AP takes so much energy, why waste it? I'm sure J & J didn't try to offend co-sleepers.
#28 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 04:16 PM

No, I'm sure they did not set out to annoy co-sleepers, no one said they did. But, I think the pervasive image of what is considered "normal" for American babies can be damaging in many ways. Normalizing formula, CIO, sleeping alone, baby buckets... none of it is "best" for baby but it is what (thanks to ads like that and millions of others) is contributing to the death of instinctual parenting and the rise of corporate led child rearing. Just imagine what one ad by a mainstream (I would rather never use a baby product than have to use J&J, shudder) baby product company that featured an AP element like co-sleeping could do. It could open the eyes of millions of people who are just parenting the way Babies R Us told them to.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#29 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I just think that as AP parents WE often think it's the best for everybody when in fact that's not true. Each individual has to decide what's best for themselves. We know as AP parents we are judged by non-AP parents. Does that make it OK to judge back?
I respect your opinion but this I don't understand what this has to do with a TV commercial. Judging a TV commercial for sending an anti-AP message is not the same as judging a family for their choices. I get to judge TV commercials...that is my right as a consumer...to make a critical distinction between products and companies I will buy from and those I will not. By making personal choices and by having a personal opinion, I am not universaly judging mainstream parents. Just as I don't like the idea of AP being judged as an stagnant, stiff parenting method that only crazy, dirty hippies use, I don't like mainstream parenting being depicted in the media as clean and fresh and full of promise.

Hence my problem with the above ads.

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#30 of 87 Old 04-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Banned

In response to the last two posts (unless someone else is posting as I do). Some children do prefer to sleep alone. If I could not get your child to sleep anywere else after a lot of trying and the bucket worked I would do it. I think that more AP things are getting out there. Lot's more parents are using slings and snugglies even though they aren't "AP." And I see a lot more people at least giving breast feeding a try and making their own baby food. We can build up AP by practicing it in a normal natural manner trying not to offend but being open. If parents see that it works then they will try it as well.

My husband loves J & J products because his dead mom loved them and they carry just incredibly happy memories for him. He uses them on our son and there is no way I would even bring up the subject of not using them. My husband hates the fact that our son sleeps better alone now and falls asleep with him almost every night he can before putting him in his crib and the first thing he says if we're awoken in the middle of the night is "just bring him to bed" even if it means no one will sleep. So, in a way, I'm offended by someone making fun of the ad or judging it because I use the products and it does depict my household at the present time. It's a very happy, very loving household with two parents who would do anything if it were the best for their child.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page