how can I get 1 yr old to sleep without CIO - Mothering Forums

#1 of 32 Old 05-24-2005, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a problem I’m sure most AP mom’s have had at some point-how to get the little one to bed for the night. My dd is a year old and fights going to sleep like mad. We have a routine and I nurse her to sleep. Lately she will nurse, come close to falling asleep, then wake herself back up. She slides off my lap and starts to run around the room. I let her run around while I sit and sing in the rocking chair and wait for her to run by and try to nurse her again. Often I get so tired of sitting and singing I let her out of her room and let her play for a while, then go through the whole ordeal again. Its just not working for me anymore. I get frustrated and when she finally does go to bed I’m cranky, exhausted, and bitter. I also feel like she needs to learn that bedtime is bedtime and that I’m the parent. I know her bedtime is not too early, she really is tired. I’m a SAHM and we co-sleep, so I do not feel she wants to stay awake to be with me. I think she is just entering the years where she does not want to go to bed. How do other mom’s get their baby asleep for the night? I want to show her I am the boss but in a gentle way (not Cry it out). Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 05-24-2005, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra's momma
finally does go to bed I’m cranky, exhausted, and bitter. I also feel like she needs to learn that bedtime is bedtime and that I’m the parent.
uhoh, this gave me a teensy little jolt. IMO, 1yo is very young to be teaching any lessons about authority. You're likely to lose some of your nice connection if you put your foot down heavily, imo imo

my two youngest went through periods where they'd allllllmost be asleep and then bang! wide awake. made me nuts! It didn't last too long - they found their way back into a falling-asleep method but this was a difficult transition period.

I'm sorry you're going through this - how long has it been going on?

Is the room very very boring? I suggest a dark boring room for going to sleep, just enough light for you to read a good book so you don't get bored and frustrated. That always helps me. good luck mama!
#3 of 32 Old 05-24-2005, 12:43 AM

Have you ever heard of the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution"? I forget who it's by, but if you searched on Amazon or Google I'm sure you could find it. I liked it--didn't agree with everything--but I think she had some real sound advice.

Sar

#4 of 32 Old 05-24-2005, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Lately she will nurse, come close to falling asleep, then wake herself back up. She slides off my lap and starts to run around the room. I let her run around while I sit and sing in the rocking chair and wait for her to run by and try to nurse her again.
Is it possible for you to nurse her to sleep lying down in the bed? My dd was one of those babies that would wake up at the slightest hint of being put down so I've always had to nurse her to sleep in bed.

Also, I know you said her bedtime isn't too early but can you make it later anyway? Is there a normal time when she finally gives in and goes to sleep? Can you make that her bedtime? I've tried off and on to get dd to sleep earlier but to no avail. As a matter of fact, if I want a terrible night of sleep putting her to bed early will almost gaurantee it. I've figured out that 9:45 is when dd will get serious about going to sleep. Not 9:15, not 9:30 but 9:45! Isn't that crazy? If you're spending that time getting frustrated getting her to sleep why not spend that time doing something more enjoyable since she's not going to sleep anyway?

Other than that we start our bedtime routine before that - about 1/2 hr give or take but when 9:45 comes around dd and I are in bed for nursing and snuggles. If she still has some energy left she will try to get up and play but I don't allow her to do that. When she sits up I gently lay her back down and say, "No, we're not playing. It's night-night time. Go to sleep, baby". (yes, I use the word "no". I know, a high-crime to some people). But anyway, sometimes she lets me know she's not happy with my "authority" but I'm a firm believer that children - even 1 yr olds - need guidelines and structure. At the most, I have to lay her back down twice. She then decides nursing some more is actually a good idea and then, as if someone hit a switch, she's out like a light.

I find that above all else, consistency is key. We do the same thing everynight. I do NOT ever allow dd to get up and play in bed when it's night-night time. That will only serve to confuse her - "Gee, Mommy, how come sometimes you let me play and sometimes not? That doesn't seem fair?" When you allow your dd to run around and play you are confirming for her that it's okay and the right time to do that. Then to suddenly change the rules now & then is confusing and unfair. KWIM? That's why I say if you can make her actual bedtime later when she's more serious about it, it may help.

Sorry so long. HTH!

*hitting reply w/o checking for typos*
#5 of 32 Old 05-24-2005, 02:17 AM

Ah, this brought back a flood of memories for me DD who is now a sassy, fiesty 8 yo did the same thing right around the same age. I remember rocking in the chair w/ my eyes just barely open while she bounced around as if she had just slept for 8 hours. Only it had been 5 minutes. I became so run down from the nurse, play, nurse, play, nurse, play, nurse, sleep, nurse, sleep, nurse, etc...routine. It didn't last forever (though, it sure did seem like it would never end in the midst of it) She isn't nursing anymore, but still doesn't like to go to sleep. Always afraid she'll miss something Could you just play w/ her? I so wish I could go back to that time and just relish the late night playing. I do it now some nights w/ my 3 year old. It can be a magical connection time. Light some candles and make some chamomile tea, maybe a light snack on a blanket on the floor in the bedroom??

Just some thoughts.
#6 of 32 Old 05-24-2005, 02:30 AM

Ds (16 months) will do this on occasion. I'll think he's so tired, but after eating, he's up. I usually let him roll around on the bed, sometimes he even walks around, but eventually falls asleep. If he crawls off the bed, then we change the situation.
If I know I'm on edge and a little aggravated, I just let him go play. I know consistency is good, but I don't want to be pissed at my kid for not sleeping, ykwim? If I can tell he is actually really tired and I have the energy for it, I usually rock him for a bit, he'll cry a little sometimes, but most of the time he mellows out, and then I feed him again and he's out.
I know it can be really frustrating, but it is worth it. We were there for dd every time she woke up, for the hours long putting to bed etc and now at 3 1/2 she sleeps through the night, puts herself to sleep most nights, and she's been doing it since she was two.

Mama to 3:
#7 of 32 Old 05-24-2005, 02:42 AM

I have a 15 mo. old who does this, too, where she'll nurse and appear to be asleep. Then her eyes pop open, she declares, "Ahh da!" (all done) and shimmies off the bed to go play. It drives me nuts, especially the nights that I am just dying for 15 minutes of alone time for mom!

Like you, sierra's mom, I sometimes feel frustrated that dd won't go to sleep. What helped me was to keep this in perspective. First, they are still babies. A lot of co-sleeping AP babies just aren't used going to sleep on their own and they need to be parented to sleep. Dr. Sears said in one of his books that it isn't unusual for babies to be parented to sleep until age 2 or older. Before you pull your hair out with the thought of doing this for another year, remember that this is a comparatively short period in both your lives. DD will eventually learn to go to sleep on her own and you will eventually be able to have quiet time in the evening when she is asleep.

For the method of teaching dd that sleep time is for sleep, I agree that consistency is the biggest key regardless of what your routine is. We have an established routine that up until now included nursing and/or rocking dd to sleep. We are still nursing but now we are working on getting dd to lay on the bed next to us and go to sleep as we pat her back if she doesn't fall asleep nursing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but we keep trying and the successes are increasing in frequency. I think that teaching babies to sleep just takes time and is a gradual process.

Be patient and hang in there. I feel for you because there are many nights that I am in your shoes! All the best to you.
#8 of 32 Old 05-25-2005, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Creating an "I'm the boss" atmosphere will probably only make it *harder* to get her to sleep at night, because then you're setting up a power struggle over bedtime. You can't force her to sleep, regardless of whether or not you're "the boss". I would say maybe she isn't as tired as it seems and you could scoot her bedtime back by however long it is that she's running around and playing. If she isn't sleeping during that time anyway, then you might as well enjoy the time, rather than spend it being frustrated that she isn't asleep. Any time I've ever tried to get my DD to go to sleep when she didn't want to, it has frustrated either one or both of us. I think it's really worth rethinking the idea that you need to show her you're the boss in this particular area. In reality, you are *not* the boss in this situation. You don't decide when she's tired and you don't decide when she sleeps. The best thing you can do is follow her cues and provide a comfortable atmosphere for her to fall asleep in. Right now she's too little to understand that it's time to lie down and stay in bed. I'm not sure when she'll be old enough to understand that because my DD is only the same age as yours, so we haven't been there yet. However, until then I think you just have to roll with the punches. Accepting the situation for what it is will make it much less stressful for you. That's what we've had to do and my life is much simpler now.
#9 of 32 Old 05-25-2005, 12:57 AM

What always worked for me was a predictable routine.

Bath, then a book, lights out and finally snuggle up and nurse.

At your dd's age you could read a nice little board book, or a sturdy lift the flap one...anything geared towards the little ones.

My boys are 7 and 10 and they still look forward to their book/books before bed. I love that part of our bedtime routine has helped foster a love of reading.

Good Luck
#10 of 32 Old 05-25-2005, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richelle
Creating an "I'm the boss" atmosphere will probably only make it *harder* to get her to sleep at night, because then you're setting up a power struggle over bedtime. You can't force her to sleep, regardless of whether or not you're "the boss". I would say maybe she isn't as tired as it seems and you could scoot her bedtime back by however long it is that she's running around and playing. If she isn't sleeping during that time anyway, then you might as well enjoy the time, rather than spend it being frustrated that she isn't asleep. Any time I've ever tried to get my DD to go to sleep when she didn't want to, it has frustrated either one or both of us. I think it's really worth rethinking the idea that you need to show her you're the boss in this particular area. In reality, you are *not* the boss in this situation. You don't decide when she's tired and you don't decide when she sleeps. The best thing you can do is follow her cues and provide a comfortable atmosphere for her to fall asleep in. Right now she's too little to understand that it's time to lie down and stay in bed. I'm not sure when she'll be old enough to understand that because my DD is only the same age as yours, so we haven't been there yet. However, until then I think you just have to roll with the punches. Accepting the situation for what it is will make it much less stressful for you. That's what we've had to do and my life is much simpler now.
:
It might help to have a bedtime routine. Bed, bath, books, lights out - or whatever works for you. It will help tremendously to get over your idea that you should be in control of your child. Lower your expectations. Don't let yourself get angry at normal age-appropriate behavior. Wake her up earlier, or limit naptime. With my youngest, who is now 18 months old, I will go ahead and sleep, knowing that she's perfectly safe playing in the same room. She will climb up and get in bed with me when she gets tired, or she'll wake me up and let me know she's ready to nurse and go to sleep.
#11 of 32 Old 05-25-2005, 11:16 AM

:

Must be an age thing! I'm going throught the EXACT same thing, and it has made me frustrated at times. She'll be so so tired and nurse and then -boom- she's up and babababa and kicking her leg and doing anything to keep from falling asleep. I've tried a lot of different strategies lately... with not much luck with any

It's frustrating because I know she's tired, that she needs to sleep, that she needs help winding down. I've tried just letting her totally run the schedule but that hasn't worked well for either of us. She just gets less total sleep and acts grizzly. But at the same time I don't like physically forcing her to settle down! So it's hard, and I know I haven't been consistent. Sometimes I do let her just play while I pretend to be asleep. Then she's climbing on me and pulling my hair....

It doesn't help that she's started biting my nipples every time she nurses either.

Anyway, I am in your boat!

Living it up with DH, DD 6, DD 4, DS 1 and
:
#12 of 32 Old 05-25-2005, 12:05 PM

My little guy is almost a year and we started having this as well.

I found that a few small things help.

(1) We nurse to sleep IN BED (we co-sleep). So once he drifts off, I can get up and leave him be.

(2) I don't go to nurse him down until he is REALLY tired. I know the tendency is to AVOID getting tired and cranky. But I found if I try to get him to sleep at the EARLY signs of sleepy -- we have the get up and play problem too. I wait until he is REALLY tired -- which can mean we get to that cranky point, but then he falls right to sleep.

(3) Try avoiding stimulating activities after 7pm. No TV, no peppy music, etc. Sometime we wear him down with fun play. But we found if the TV or a movie or fun music is going, it's like caffeine to him and he has a harder time winding down. Even background TV can be a problem at this age.

Hope this helps!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#13 of 32 Old 05-25-2005, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much to all of the mommas that responded. I admit, I was tired and cranky when I wrote the post. I’m not a big “authority” pusher, I know I’m not her boss. But I agree with pukka, 1 year olds are smart little creatures and need some guidelines. Right now she is learning if she fights sleep she eventually gets to play more. And she really NEEDS the sleep-she wakes up at 6 regardless of when she goes to bed. So on hard nights she only gets 8 or 9 hours of sleep (and she is up every 2 or 3 hours in the night). She wakes up tired and is very irritable all day. I’ve also found the more she sleeps at night, the better her naps are (on bad napping days she wakes up crying, good nap days she wakes up happy). Last night she miraculously fell asleep at 7 and was so happy this morning! I do try nursing her laying down, she sleeps on a futon on the floor with me. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. I’m definitely going to be more consistent about her bed-time routine and add a warm bath to it. I’m also going put foil on most of the windows in her room so it is very dark-I think this might be part of the problem. It stays light so late these days-she doesn’t realize it’s night time. I’ll get a good book and reading light and she can play in her darkened room until she is ready to try sleeping again. That’s my new plan. Thanks for your suggestions!
#14 of 32 Old 05-25-2005, 11:05 PM

Hi, Sierra's mom, I feel your pain. My DD, 11 months, is the same way. I am sorry for your difficulty but glad to know you're out there, because nobody I know has dealt with this. Bedtime has been a struggle for us since maybe 7 or 8 months of age. Sometimes I think I am going to lose my mind!! (In fact, I am feeling that way right now!) I have read people saying it's a phase, but if it's a phase, how long does it last??

Like your daughter, I know my dd is genuinely tired. I am also a WAHM and I sleep with her, so it's not about missing me. She, also, wakes up early no matter what happened the night before. Our routine is that I nurse her to sleep in bed. It's as low-stimulation an environment as I can create. We don't watch TV or listen to music; there are no older siblings making noise; often we take a little walk or have a bath before bed but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Right now she is with her dad, exhausted to the point of being hyper, with big black circles under her eyes. I just couldn't do the struggle anymore and thought I'd come here and see if anyone has some wisdom for me! Last night it took 3 hours for her to go to sleep. This a.m., she was tired and it was time for her morning nap, and it took an hour to get her to sleep, then she only slept for 45 minutes.

It's not that I'm trying to get out of bed once she's asleep (though that would be nice). It's the time between the start of bedtime and the time she actually closes her eyes that is a struggle. Once her eyes are closed and she is falling asleep for real, I can read or lie down and sleep while she nurses, so that part is OK...

At bedtime she is tired, she needs the sleep, but is constantly popping off the breast, crawling off my lap, doing nursing acrobatics. I can't lie down with her next to me until she is already asleep, because she crawls away. The only thing that seems to make a difference is physically restraining her. I will swaddle just her upper body, trapping her arms. Sometimes she complains about this for a moment and sometimes won't tolerate it at all; other times it really helps her settle down. The other thing that has been helpful for us is that I will wear her in the mei tai while nursing and rocking -- again, the physical confinement is the key here.

(Incidentally, dd has a super active & alert personality and is a VERY distractible nurser; her bedtime behavior is consistent with the high energy level she has all day.)

That said, these tricks have failed miserably for the last few days and I am OUT of ideas. Tonight I am feeling cranky with a bad cold and when she resisted sleep I gave up immediately and let her play. I don't like to do that; I feel she needs consistency and guidance. It's best for her to go to sleep and as her mother, I need to help her do what's best. But I am human and tonight I just couldn't take it anymore!

Thanks, all you ladies who posted for Sierra's mom. Any more ideas?
#15 of 32 Old 05-26-2005, 10:17 AM

Right around that age, my son stopped being willing to nurse to sleep. He'd nurse, then pop off, seemingly excited and refreshed. We did the whole thing OP describes about letting him play some more and trying again later, but he was getting to the point of only getting 8 or 9 hours of sleep a night, and that just wasn't enough to keep him happy and healthy.

It wasn't that he wasn't sleepy, he just didn't want to NURSE to sleep. So we started walking him down - my husband just holds him, if it's my turn I use a sling in the snuggle hold - and usually within about 15 minutes he's out.

Switching our approach has taken bedtime from a battleground to an enjoyable experience again.
#16 of 32 Old 05-26-2005, 04:27 PM

What has been working for us recently, because dd has begun to do this too, is putting her in a sling or carrier and walking, either around house or block until she is asleep, then when I lay her down, she stirs a little and we nurse into deeper sleep. It is working and also dh gets to help more with the bedtime, by walking with her some! Hope this helps!
#17 of 32 Old 05-26-2005, 07:03 PM

Good ideas, tammylc and bellini'smama. I just might try that. Dd falls asleep in her carrier sometimes, usually the mei tai although she's getting a little big for that now. When she falls asleep in the carrier or car (rarely but getting more often) she usually wakes up when I put her down but nurses right off to sleep. Hmmmm, then dh could maybe help. Oooh the possibilities.....

Living it up with DH, DD 6, DD 4, DS 1 and
:
#18 of 32 Old 05-26-2005, 10:49 PM

YES, YES... The sling! I did this too when dd was around 12 months... i would put on beatles music and dance around the living room, by the second or third track, she'd be sound asleep. I could lay her down and walk away!

Now, and even w/4 1/2 year old ds, i have to lay w/them until they are asleep... I don't mind, but i am hoping ds will soon at least fall asleep on his own...
#19 of 32 Old 05-27-2005, 12:53 AM

a couple of thoughts

1. is there something in your diets? too much caffine (more than 5 cups of day), have you been on a broccoli binge? What has the baby been eating?

2. change in daytime separation? did you go back to work?

3. what are you sleeping on? Cotton? Polyester?

I know that it can be frustrating. YOU want to sleep, THEY need to sleep. But something is missing. They are not trying to manipulate you. They are just being babies. While I agree that children need some limits and helping them to sleep is a parents job, I also think that trying to force them to sleep now will not work and will not stop them from sneaking out of the house when they are 15.

I second the suggestion of the *no cry sleep solution*. Basically you need to keep a diary of your childs natural sleep habits for a while. Discover the schedule that they are on (i.e. goes to sleep at 10:30 every night) then make tiny changes (put them down at 10:25 then 10:20 ect). Think of it as a challenge. It will not last forever (I promise!) There is a lot more in the book, but this is where it starts. When babies sleep better at night, they will sleep better in the day.

We all have sleep habits. This is not a character flaw, some of us are night owls some are early birds. This is true of babies too. If I think of having another baby the loss of sleep is a concern (I have a 6 year old and a 20 month old). It does suck

V.
#20 of 32 Old 05-27-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I also think that trying to force them to sleep now will not work and will not stop them from sneaking out of the house when they are 15.
Huh?
#21 of 32 Old 05-27-2005, 01:22 PM

I said that because in the OP she mentioned wanting her baby to know that she is the parent. So I thought that perhaps she felt that she was losing "control" of the situation and that she would never get it back if she lost it in the present time. I know a lot of people that think that lack of disipline in childhood leads to unruly teens. If this is not the case, my bad.

BTW - it was not in response to you saying that you make your child lay down. I didn't think that your idea was controling or anything. I have done the same. But she specifically stated in the title "without CIO" which lead me to believe that she was so adamant about controling the situation that she would resort to CIO if necessary.

I am sure that this is clear as mud (moontime and everything is a little wanky IYKWIM)

V.
#22 of 32 Old 05-27-2005, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Just wanted to add another "I know how you feel". My ds is almost 15 months and some nights I nurse him to sleep and he is out, other nights I feel like a human pacifier, still others I feel like a mat for the little gymnast. we have the bath, book, bed routine but sometime it still dosn't work. One thing I have noticed is that if he is overtired he fights sleep with every ounce of himself so I definately try to avoid the overtired situations. I'll be following this as I'm looking for suggestions too.
#23 of 32 Old 05-27-2005, 02:09 PM

I thought of one more thing that I have tried (and sometimes it works ) When they are sleep but stirring to wake up try deep breathing close enough to them that they can feel it (like with your chest against their back). Sometimes they will mimic you and fall into a deeper sleep.

V.
#24 of 32 Old 05-27-2005, 10:01 PM

Do you try to get outside at all with her during the day? I can tell you for my son, he sleeps LOADS better if he has had some outside play time. It really seems to wear him out. Even if you can just push her in a swing outside or put a blanket on the grass with some toys, I think it makes a big difference. I think part of it is the physical activity, and part is the exposure to outside daylight. HTH!

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#25 of 32 Old 05-28-2005, 12:28 AM

Quote:
I said that because in the OP she mentioned wanting her baby to know that she is the parent. So I thought that perhaps she felt that she was losing "control" of the situation and that she would never get it back if she lost it in the present time. I know a lot of people that think that lack of disipline in childhood leads to unruly teens. If this is not the case, my bad.
Okay, I gotcha now.
#26 of 32 Old 05-31-2005, 06:15 PM

My dd is 11 months and has been doing the same thing recently. If I let her go as long as she wants she will literally collapse on the floor from exhaustion. Once is enough, that's too tired, and she was so tired and unhappy the next day that I'm not eager to let it happen again.

She's been sleeping on her own for a couple of months now, so last week I let her play for a few minutes and then scooped her up along with her favorite doll, took her to bed (she hasn't nursed herself to sleep in months) and laid her down. She almost immediately fell asleep.

If she had cried or fussed I would have rocked her in her dark and quiet room until she was ready for sleeping. She hasn't fussed at night for ages, though, not even with the last three teeth that came in one right after the other. These times go so fast, most days I can't cuddle her at all, she is off and running as soon as she finishes nursing, sometimes it even feels like her feet hit the floor before she unlatches herself. Hang in there just a little longer!
#27 of 32 Old 05-31-2005, 10:54 PM

I have a 13 mo old son and am experiencing similar things. I've been reading A LOT -- many perspectives, even the ones I don't agree with, and I've learned a lot about the physiology of baby sleep. And I'm still having trouble. We've gotten from 3-4 night wakings to usually one, but getting to sleep is still a process and somewhat unpredictable. The one thing I have learned and feel strongly about is that it is a parent's responsibility to teach the child how to fall asleep on his/her own. For example, nurse until he/she is sleepy but not totally asleep. Let the baby do that very last falling asleep part on his/her own. It makes things harder for a little while, but we've had some success (I recenlty traveled and it threw everything off, but we were doing good there for a while). I find that if he's totally dependent on me (nursing) to fall asleep, and doesn't have other skills to sooth himself, bedtime is harder and night wakings go on forever. I now hear him making noises and rolling around at 2am, but he gets comfy and falls back to sleep himself. (YEAH!). Not always, but he's learning and I'm learning. We still have similar issues about not wanting to settle down, and I have no solutions to offer except to keep notes and look for patterns. I do know the smallest amount of caffine I have affects my baby, total darkness is the only way he'll fall asleep (naps too), and consistency is key (though I can't claim to be A+ in that deptartment either, but I'm trying...)
#28 of 32 Old 05-31-2005, 11:41 PM

First off, I want to say that babies absolutely do NOT need to be be "taught" to go to sleep. This is something that every child learns to do at some point, when they are developmentally ready. No parent ever had to move into their child's dorm room to help them fall asleep. I also agree w/ PP's who said that 1 yo is much too early to be teaching about authority and "who's the boss"--and I think Victorian's 15 yo anaology was dead-on.

As for some ideas to make bedtime a little easier on both of you--and I know I'm repeating some of the OP's.
--Make the room as dark as possible. My DD is sensitive to light and darkness and adjusts her sleep patterns accordingly.
--Try to learn the signs that indicate your child is truly ready for sleep and not just getting tired. For my DD, just yawning and rubbing her eyes isn't enough. She has to reach that "starting to get a bit cranky" phase.
--A consistent routine is important, but leave some room for flexibility. I take my DD to bed to nurse to sleep sometime b/tw 7:30 and 8:30, but once in a while, she will be ready as early as 7:00 or as late as 9:00. If I try to nurse her to sleep before she's ready, she will just throw a tantrum and try to crawl away from me. If she's truly tired, she will nurse quietly to sleep.
--One thing that has been a lifesaver for us is to have a mattress on our bedroom floor and to completely babyproof the room. If my DD wants to crawl around and play instead of go to sleep, I can just lay on the mattress until she comes back to nurse. This is true at night, naptime, or if she wakes up too early in the morning. A complete sanity saver!!!!!
--I also have to nurse my DD to sleep lying down so that I can quietly sneak away once she's asleep. Even at 1 year old, if she falls asleep in my arms and I lay her down, she will wake up.
--Lots of physical daytime activities and outdoor time really can help tire them out.
--It can also be helpful if you're able to figure evening activities that tire your child. For some reason, taking my DD for a wagon ride after supper seems to help her settle down and get drowsy.

Any way, I'm just tossing out ideas that I've found to be helpful. I hope you find something that works for your child soon.
#29 of 32 Old 06-03-2005, 01:02 AM

When my children began to behave in this manner at their usual bedtime I assumed that the total amount of sleep they were getting each day was, perhaps, more than they needed. So I altered their nap times. For some reason when children begin walking and exploring in the upright position, they will themself to stay awake. Reducing the daytime sleeping has sometimes worked to re-set their clock, so to speak, and they are more ready to sleep at night.
#30 of 32 Old 06-03-2005, 02:24 AM

I was about to mention the same thing that Mamu did.... My son was like this too at the very same age... He was taking 2 naps at 2hrs each... so come to find out... he just wasn't tired.... we dropped a nap and once the adjustment time was over and we figured out just when to schedule this one nap... he began taking one 2.5-3 hour nap.. what a difference!! He actually began going to sleep at night. Now he's 28 months and it's starting again... he's been gradually sleeping less and less at naptime, so we are thinking about shortening his nap... or at least say no napping after 3pm otherwise he's up till almost midnight!!! <eek!!>

When we did make the transition to one nap... we scheduled it for after lunch. I also recommend the "No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley She has wonderful schedule samples in there.. recommended nap times and how many hours of sleep is actually needed. I never got deep into making our diary... DS was about 10 months old when I bought it and he was waking up 5-6 times during the night... just using ideas in the book and viewing my son's sleep in a different light really helped and he went to only 1 night waking and now NONE.. and he's still nursing.. so night nursing competely disappeared and I'm finally getting rest at night.

Here's a link for the book...
No Cry Sleep Solution Book Summary

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page