Making a wool puddle pad? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-09-2005, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a king sized bed, a 5 1/2 month old, and a tight budget. I have an excellent night diapering system (hempfleece prefold, doubler, snappi and an aristocrat soaker) and leaks are not usually a problem anymore, but I'd still like something between her and our pricey mattress. We had a rubberized pad before we worked out an adequate night diaper setup, but I hated it, and I can't imaging she cared for it either. Even toppped with a towel, it made for sweaty nights and that was in February. I like the idea of a wool pad, but they are just a bit too spendy for us right now.

So... if I bought a wool blanket at the thrift store, how thick would it need to be, how large would I want it, could I felt it, and how would I ensure it is sufficiently lanolized? Could this work?
#2 of 7 Old 07-09-2005, 08:49 PM

: Great idea! I'm curious too!
#3 of 7 Old 07-09-2005, 09:09 PM

I bet if you got a wool blanket and washed it with Euculan (wool wash) and felted it in the dryer, it would work. Wool is amazingly absorbant and if it was felted it would do an even better job.

Meghann
#4 of 7 Old 07-09-2005, 09:24 PM

I like this idea...what is felting in the dryer?? And where do you get Euculan?
#5 of 7 Old 07-09-2005, 09:46 PM

Reading this thread, I just wondered if I maybe I could crochet a pad for our family bed. We're currently using the MOE mattress pad, but I'm not big on how it slides around on our sheets, especially as dd flops like a fish most of the night. I'm going to try this and see if it works...
#6 of 7 Old 07-10-2005, 12:43 AM

Once you felt (shrink) the wool as much as possible, you may not need to lanolize it at all -- or only once in a great while. I've had ds pee directly on mine & it not go through. The wool I used shrank to 1/3 the size, so it's nice & thick. I cut mine about 18 x 30 inches -- really it just needs to be big enough to keep his butt on it. It is comfortable to sleep on; I don't even usually notice (unless it gets folded up).

ps -- you felt/full wool by washing it with good agitation in hot water with a cold rinse, then drying in the dryer on high. As I understand it, all 3 contribute to the fulling process.
#7 of 7 Old 07-11-2005, 05:03 PM

I used an old wool blanket that I got from my grandmother. It was a twin size and I used it on a queen mattress. I didn't felt it or lanolinize it b/c it was already quite thick. No leaks, but I highly recommend that you sew some wide elastic across each corner like a mattress pad. Even on top of a cotton mattress pad, the blanket had a tendency to migrate down the bed...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page