Signs that allergy might be causing your breastfed baby to wake frequently - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2005, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My lastborn isn't vaxed, and she started showing symptoms YOUNG, as in at 10 days post-partum. Personally, I think it is polution in the environment and additives in the foods but I am guessing from personal prejudice. I think engineered foods and preservatives and food additives can really mess with hormonal balance, and I think, ultimately effect immune system development in utero.

But, that is a totally unfounded guess. I wish I knew. I'd save other parents the agony. Each of my kids has been worse than the first. First born was only allergic to a handful of things, although he is the only one with anaphylaxis to anything. Second born was allergic to a LOT of things, but there was a core group of foods (mostly the Sears elim diet) that we could both eat. My last born is allergic to everything. She is allergic to EVERY SINGLE one of the base foods on the Sears diet EXCEPT peaches. And, I don't know if there is any

I also wonder if mom's GI tract has any effect. My GI tract has been messed up for years. I have always wondered if I simply don't break down the allergens enough.

I imagine it is a lot of complex factors. No one seems to know for sure why allergies are more and more common, and why the severe ones are more and more common.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2005, 11:38 PM

Quote:
For me, lists of symptoms are a tool like anything else. And a useful tool. Sears website is full of such lists, as is the LLL site. I can see that the WAY I presented the list was not the best, but I don't see a problem IN such a list.
I think that the list becomes a problem when one doesn't place things in their proper context. For example, in your list, you didn't make the crucial link between physical symptoms and behaviors. Since you didn't do this, the behaviors become physical symptoms themselves. As a professional therapist, you will know the importance of setting contexts to any medical information. You failed to do that with your list.

As an example, I have list I call "Normal Behaviors of Attached Infants":

- Early attachment to people, rather than things: Seeming to always want to be held, and rarely content when on their own.

- Easy arousal (protective against SIDS, esp seen in bedsharing breastfed babies): Baby...often wakes frequently at night, every 1.5 hours or two hours all night long.

- Healthy attachment to the primary caregiver(s): Baby may seem unable to nap alone during the day and may need to be held to sleep.

- Periods of frequent nursing: Baby seems to want to nurse ALL the time. Mom may feel like baby is attached 24/7.

Here is another list, which we shall call "Signs of allergy in a breastfed infant":

- Fussiness: seeming to always want to be held, and are rarely content when on their own.

- Poor sleep: Baby may not nap well and often wakes frequently at night, every 1.5 hours or two hours all night long. Baby may seem unable to nap alone during the day and may need to be held to sleep.

- Cluster nursing: Baby seems to want to nurse ALL the time. Mom may feel like baby is attached 24/7.

See what I mean?

Quote:
And, to be honest, I am unclear what the danger is if a mom sees a bunch of things on a list and decides to look into the possibility? The worst case scenerio is that a mom might THINK some of the things she is seeing in her baby are a result of allergy, when in fact they are not.
Since your behavior list included a number of normal behaviors for nursing and AP babies and since we live in a society where nursing and AP parenting is still considered by many to be an abnormal behavior, and since many women report significant pressures from their families in this regard, then I would say that you would have an obligation not to do things that might alarm them further. Especially since all you are being asked to do is to present medical information in a properly informative contextual manner and not in the form of "here's a list; make of it what you will."
Old 07-21-2005, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

I see what you are saying. So, you are thinking the issue is that a reader might ignore all the possible physical signs, and then jump right to the behavioral things on the list.

Right?

Certainly that makes sense to me. Thank you for taking the time to clarify your objections.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
honeysucklemama, I really appreciate your taking the time to compile all this information!

You've described my dd to a tee. THE fussiest, crankiest baby I've ever seen, and I've worked with and known quite a few. Could not be put down for one instant in the day, except the one or two blessed 20-min. naptimes...of course I would've been ok with that if she were happy in my arms the rest of the time. But I didn't think I had any choice but to put her in the wrap and just let her wail her tiny head off, for hours, every day until she'd finally conk out for a while from exhaustion. She'd sleep okay at night, as long as she could nurse back to sleep every 45 min. at most, all night long.

I think that some of these criticisms are just semantics, with some di#k-swinging thrown in, honestly. As a mother, you definitely know the difference between a baby;s normal "just wanting comfort", and subsequently actually being comforted...and the total inconsolability, constant discomfort and sleep deprivation of the allergic baby you describe here.

I didn't know what on earth was wrong. (I live in CHina and whenever we went to the ped she was distracted enough not to be cranky...and they told me there was no problem...except that I should leave her and let her CIO)

I tried changing nursing patterns. I eliminated dairy, then wheat, and of course coffee and all chocolate. Things were bad for 10 months. And then suddenly starting getting a little better when I introduced solids (carefully).

Now I know that it was definitely allergies, to something or other in my diet that made her so miserable. I'll never know exactly what. Maybe soy? the Vitamins I was taking? Who knows? Thanks for your list, I'm keeping it just in case #2 has the same problems, let's hope not!

Liora. Best way to reach me is FACEBOOK, search for "LioraP2". Jewish and Frum In Beijing, Mom of Three (mother of 3: #1 was vaccine injured at age 2m later dx with PDD-NOS, healed in 3 years with biomed. #2 unvaxed and healthy boy. #3 unvaxed amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI) since infancy)
Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 AM

Wow! I'm kind of appalled by reading the attacks of this post. Aren't we all moms who just want the best for our babies??? With that said, I found this info fit our situation to a tee!!! While I do not know if my LO has an actual allergy or sensitivity to dairy, the elimination of it in my diet has created a completely different baby. Starting at about 2 weeks until 6 weeks when diet elimination started) we had the baby who never slept, screamed (not cried, not fussed) with legs drawn up to his chest, he wanted to nurse almost every hour (and I already had an oversupply so it wasn't done to increase my supply), diapers were mucousy and green every single hour, rash from face to belly, raw red bottom, also screamed when passing horrid gas, gained weight extremely rapidly that put him in 90th percentile at all his visits when he started less than 50th. Holding, rocking, bouncing, swaddling, gas drops, gripe water - all did nothing to help! Doctor even prescribed us an old school medicine (which kind of helped temporarily) but was extremely dangerous and can cause shallow breathing - which you don't want in an infant), so we stopped it. It was when I noticed that he was worse on the day after I would drink milk with dinner that I tried the elimination diet. Within a week the screaming stopped, he would nap, started sleeping more at night (now at 13 weeks he sleeps 10 hrs straight) rash cleared up, bottom cleared up, and he started feeding about every 2.5-3 hrs consistently. His poops have gone to normal frequency for a bf baby and are no longer mucousy either.
Now he still has some normal fussiness, and occasionally has a repeat of these symptoms but it seems to be after I eat pb or peanuts so that's next one to try.
All babies are different and all react differently, but if this article is used to just help a parent rule out other possibilities by changing a moms diet or swapping formula or foods. Then what is the harm. My own qualified, educated pediatrician could have ultimately done more harm to my child with that medicine that this writer has done with this post. Chill mommas!
Old 04-04-2014, 01:44 AM

Many thanks: Much appreciated. I fully understand your point in the whole debate that ensued and FULLY recognise my allergic baby and now realise that the colic in the first was probably also due to an allergy too. I've started an elimination diet (dairy wheat and tree nuts) as well as aggravating ingredients like onion and beans. It's a mission but I'd rather do that than sit and watch my baby squirm in pain day and night. I hear you and thank you. Joanna

Old 04-04-2014, 01:49 AM

Thanks. Mine is 7 weeks. He also has a tummy operation for pyloric stenosis so at first I thought he was fussing after the op, but now I realise something is wrong, It's been a hard 2 months but, hey, same with number one but only at night. So I think this guy is worse just a bit less high pitched than my daughter,,, 

Old 08-20-2014, 02:02 AM

That explains a lot...

"babies who do...are in pain because of some kind of mouth or ear problem" It was extremely healing for me to read this statement. My oldest daughter was about 6 weeks old when she refused to nurse. At her 2 week appointment, her doctor told me I was starving her and needed to supplement her with formula (this was 20 yrs ago). I was always told she just liked the bottle better, but I didn't feel that was right. Around 2 months, she began getting chronic ear infections. At 3 1/2 she failed a hearing screening at preschool. We finally got a reliable official hearing test completed at 7 yrs, after having tubes in twice, and the results were that she has moderate mid-frequency hearing loss in both ears. It is a genetic defect. Now I know that its not my fault I couldn't nurse her!! Over the years I discovered that she pretty much ALWAYS has a build-up of fluid behind her left ear drum (which is her worse ear). I can't imagine nursing with that kind of discomfort, can you? It's sad that they didn't realize this could have been the problem, and I didn't know any better Anyway, thank you.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank you for this post - I have been wondering if my baby has an allergies - she has eczema and seems to be endlessly congested but otherwise doesn't have the other symptoms so I'm not sure. I might go to a naturopath to look into it.

User Tag List