where does your baby nap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-16-2005, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i hope this is the right place for this question, instead of "life with a babe".

i'm wondering where your baby naps during the day? ian and i cosleep at night, and i lay down with him for one nap a day (or at least try to). he sleeps in the sling for at least one nap. and, he used to sleep in his crib for one or two naps a day as well, but in the last week he's decided he would rather sleep with me holding him instead. who can blame him, right? :LOL

he's still a newborn (well, almost 8 weeks old) so his sleep is nowhere near regulated, and he sleeps short periods throughout the day.

do you ever put your baby down on your "family bed" for naps on their own? do you hold your baby or have them in a sling/carrier for naps?
#2 of 23 Old 07-16-2005, 11:55 AM

my 8 month old naps on the family bed...but usually dh is still asleep in bed so he's not alone in there. (my dh works second shift and usually sleeps until 11am or noon) Up until recently ds napped in his car seat (one of those bucket ones)...he briefly like napping in the sling or my arms, but quickly outgrew it cuz any slight movement or moise woke him up.

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

#3 of 23 Old 07-16-2005, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massagemom
i'm wondering where your baby naps during the day?
do you ever put your baby down on your "family bed" for naps on their own? do you hold your baby or have them in a sling/carrier for naps?
Caiden napped laying down in his bassinet about twice :LOL When he was that age he mainly slept in my arms (we called it a nursie-nappie), in his sling/baby bjorn, or in the car seat on our way somewhere.
#4 of 23 Old 07-16-2005, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mine sleeps on the bed, with me right alongside him. He still won't sleep on his own.

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

#5 of 23 Old 07-16-2005, 08:34 PM

We went through so many different phases. At that age, I either held her for naps or we napped together, usually. Occasionally I would put her on the bed by herself. She wasn't a wiggler and there was no way she would have fallen off, so I wasn't worried. Then for a while, she would only nap in my arms - not even with me lying beside her! I had to hold her the whole time. Now she has a huge, furry blanket that I fold up and put on the living room floor. It's really soft and it keeps her somewhere safe. If she wakes up, I'm usually right there.
#6 of 23 Old 07-16-2005, 09:28 PM

In the morning, my ds (11 weeks) sleeps in his bouncy seat or the sling. In the afternoon, he sleeps on me. In the early evening, I take all the cushions off the couch and put him in the crack (I stay in the same room to make sure he's safe).
#7 of 23 Old 07-16-2005, 09:31 PM

In a sling, in the cradle, on the family bed, on a crib mattress, on the floor. You get the idea - lol. We received a sheepskin from a friend and that REALLY helped with naps. Made it much easier to put dd down in general, plus easier to switch the location.
#8 of 23 Old 07-16-2005, 10:39 PM

AARGH. In my lap. Which was fine and cuddly for the first year, but now at 15 mos it's getting kind of old. Four hours a day are reserved for web surfing, holding my pee, and starving b/c I forgot to bring food in my office!!! :LOL

Somebody please tell me there's hope for getting something done during nap time!!!
#9 of 23 Old 07-17-2005, 01:59 AM

At 8 weeks old Remy was still in my arms, sling, or daddy's arms. I really can't remember the transition from my arms to him sleeping on his own during naps. I just remember being happy that I could take a shower when my husband was still at work. :LOL
#10 of 23 Old 07-17-2005, 06:22 AM

My 13mo. DD has been taking naps in a Mei Tei (back carrier sling) for over 6 months now. That's the only way we can get anything done during her naps as she sleeps soundly and it's hands-free for us.

Since she was a newborn, every time we try to set her down by herself (even when she was in deep sleep) she would wake up within 2seconds-20minutes and it would be an ordeal to try and put her back to sleep again. Luckily she has finally transitioned to being a pretty good sleeper at night (meaning I only have to nurse her about 4-5 times a night vs. 10) I'm not even conscious any more when I nurse her at night so it doesn't bother me and I sleep well.
#11 of 23 Old 07-17-2005, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

did/do any of you swaddle your babies for naps?

sistermama, i have a sheepskin too. tell me how you use yours?
#12 of 23 Old 07-17-2005, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massagemom
did/do any of you swaddle your babies for naps?

sistermama, i have a sheepskin too. tell me how you use yours?
I swaddled dd for naps until she could squirm herself out of the blanket. I use the sheepskin just about anywhere I put dd down. I do put her on her tummy on it. From the first time I put her sleeping on it, she snuggled her head, grabbed handfuls of wool and went right back to sleep. I love how she smells like a (clean) little lamb when she wakes up, too.
#13 of 23 Old 07-17-2005, 10:07 AM

DS is also a "nursie napper!" He's 8 months old. I hold him a lot of the time. IF I put him down after he falls asleep nursing, he usually wakes up. Occasionally I will lie down in the big bed next to him with the "Milk Buffet" and nap in the afternoon for a few hours : .
#14 of 23 Old 07-17-2005, 10:27 PM

massagemom~ swaddling never worked for my son, he was just too strong. I have heard of something called the miracle blanket, now, that I think I will invest in if we are fortunate enough to have a #2.

dysenchanted~ Take that bag off your head mama! Being able to lay down and nurse (yourself) to sleep is one of the primo priveleges of being a nursing mama
#15 of 23 Old 07-17-2005, 10:40 PM

Japhet sleeps on me for most naps. I can put him down in the crib but then we get a half an hour or 45 minute nap, on me he sleeps for two hours. He also will nap in the car seat or stroller if we are out somewhere and he will nap in the baby bjorn and for the first time a few days ago he napped in a wrap and now he falls asleep on me whatever I'm wearing him in...a little awkward in the hip carry in a sling, but as long as he's sleeping I'm happy. In the evening he sleeps in his crib usually until we are all ready to go to sleep. I can't leave him on the bed or couch or floor by himself he's a real squirmer and we have two cats that I don't completely trust.

Aviva
#16 of 23 Old 07-17-2005, 10:47 PM

my dd will sleep on any mattress I nurse her to sleep on. For naps she usually sleeps in our bed by herself. That's also how she starts off at night, I join her later.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#17 of 23 Old 07-17-2005, 11:07 PM

My 5 month old now naps in the crib or on our family bed. I actually prefer the crib, because I have a 27 month old. I feel she is safer in the crib, and he is less likely to wake her or bother her.

When she was a younger, she slept more often on our bed, in arms or in the sling.

PM
#18 of 23 Old 07-18-2005, 08:45 AM

In his crib or bassinet.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#19 of 23 Old 07-18-2005, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannster
Mine sleeps on the bed, with me right alongside him. He still won't sleep on his own.
Im glad to know that Im not the only one with a 6 mnth old who will not nap alone. I have to take two naps a day with her in our bed because she refuses to nap anywhere else. This sounds really nice but once Summer Vacation is over I will not have my 11 year old to take care of my other baby so I can do this. So Im wondering what will happen then. Until then I will just enjoy getting to nap and snuggle with DD.
#20 of 23 Old 07-18-2005, 10:19 AM

My 6 month old usually takes a short morning nap in arms. For his long afternoon nap he is usually in the mei tai. Sometimes I lay him down in the family bed and I will sit next to him and read or be in the room folding laundry.
#21 of 23 Old 07-18-2005, 11:21 AM

We have run the gamut with naps: As a newborn, he would nap on our bed after nursing (we basically camped out in the bedroom for the first 8 weeks) - he'd nap on me or swaddled and laid in his boppy if we were downstairs (in the boppy if I was cooking or doing laundry)

As an infant he napped in a front carrier, then in a sling, then on my lap propped up on the Boppy while I worked; or on my chest in bed on the weekends. I could sometimes do the boppy transfer, once he fell asleep on the boppy and was good and asleep, I could lift it off me and put it on the ground nearby and he'd be fine.

He did sleep on me in one way or another until he was over a year old (aside from the occasional transfer to another surface)...it was only after he weaned himself at 14 months that he started to be able to sleep for extended periods of time on his own. At one point when he was going through a fussy patch at about 9/10 months, I was gettign irritated that he would only sleep on or with me, but then I started realizing he'll only be little once, and for such a short time that I changed my perspective and started cherishing our snuggle time together. It's a good thing I did, because......

At 17 months now, he naps every day for about an hour and a half to two hours on the futon nearby while I work. When he naps on our bed on weekends, I either nap with him (yes, still! ), or just hang around in the bedroom doing something or in my office - always in eyesight though, I'm too paranoid about him rolling off still (he is a sleep acrobat), or taking a dive if he decided to get out of bed himself...though he knows how to get down safely, he does have a daredevil streak in him and I can picture him giving jumping off a try... I pat his back or rub his back to send him off, then after about 5 minutes I'm free to get up and do my own thing if I want.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#22 of 23 Old 07-18-2005, 03:03 PM

When I'm home (I'm a WOHM) DD naps most of the time in my arms in the rocker, in my arms while nursing lying down on the couch, and sometimes in her cosleeper. She occasionally naps on the family bed with DH or - occasionally - alone, but we have a tiny apartment and I can see her from almost everywhere, and she isn't mobile yet so I don't worry too much about her getting to the edge of the bed. She also naps in the sling when we're out and about. When grandma is there babysitting her, she often sleeps on the floor in the living room on her tummy while grandma works (she's a WAHG! or a work-at-my-house-grandma!); and grandma can get her to nap in the stroller but she never will if I'm walking with her.
#23 of 23 Old 07-20-2005, 11:16 PM

DD also takes her naps on our bed. Right now it's a futon on the floor so I don't really worry about her rolling off. She's 10 mos. and a sleep acrobat. Do you use anything to try and keep your dd from rolling off the bed - rails, pillows etc?

Momma to DD ('04), DS ('07), and 2 feline furballs and wife to a wonderful and supportive husband.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page