co-sleeping with reflux - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-11-2005, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I actually posted a response to a similar question about this a while back, but now our situation has changed a bit and I'm wondering how others have dealt with this. My DS2 is almost 8 months old and it appears he has a pretty strong milk intolerance, possibly allergy, and also doesn't tolerate soy very well. In any case, I have taken these out of my diet and we are still having days/nights when his reflux is much worse. We have co-slept almost since the beginning and he is a very cuddly little guy, but even with my setup that worked before he is having a lot of overnight discomfort. I have tried elevating his upper body on a fairly flat pillow, and then having his head on my arm - this would get him at about a 30-45 degree angle I think. On his left side, this works fairly well except on the worst nights. If he moves at all, flops on his back, etc. even still on the pillow/arm he starts having trouble. On his worst nights we have to sleep sitting up with him on my chest almost upright. I'm still trying to figure out what might be bothering him to cause his increased symptoms. He takes a nap lying on my chest or sitting in his swing, which works pretty well again if I keep him fairly upright on me or don't recline the swing too much. This has been going on for quite a long time (since he was very small). It's definitely better without the dairy and soy products, but by no means all the way better. He also takes Prevacid daily, which does help but again hasn't eliminated the problem at all. I have thought about side-carring a crib with the head elevated but he always wants to be right close to me to sleep, holding on to my hair, so I doubt that would work. Maybe elevating the whole bed? I do burp him every time he nurses, which is usually every couple of hours, but it hasn't seemed to help much. Any suggestions?

Mamma to three boys : We love :::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-11-2005, 10:12 PM

Until I got the meds to fix my sons reflux (which some may not want to do, I had a 16 hour per day screaming child and finally got zantac liquid which changed his life in 4 days and cured it to the point of no longer needing the medicine within 2 months) I raised the entire bed and then used a foam wedge or pillow to give him even more height.

good luck
#3 of 5 Old 08-11-2005, 10:28 PM

Your son might be too big for this by now, but just in case he isn't:

http://www.tuckersling.com/

It's a wedge with an attached "sling" that keeps the baby on the wedge.
#4 of 5 Old 08-15-2005, 12:42 AM

My kids had reflux for a long time and I finally took them to see an Osteopath who did something amazing with them. It is called Cranial Sacrel Therapy (probably spelled this wrong). Osteopaths believe that our body is set up to be "self healing" we just get blockages and inflamation results. The manipulations they do (which are very slow, gentle and painless) set the body up for healing and clear the blockages. It may sound like voodoo, but it really had a powerful impact.
#5 of 5 Old 08-15-2005, 12:57 AM

No voodoo, I tried it. I tried it as well when bliss was havingthe bad reflux. Sadly, it didn;t work for us, but I have heard it work for many.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page