Awake for 3-4 hours in middle of night?! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 08-23-2005, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just when I thought I couldn't get any more tired... for the past two nights, DS has woken up between 10-11 p.m., and has stayed awake until 2-3 a.m. He was awake for three hours the first night, four hours last night.

I am losing the plot.

DS has gone to bed at 7 p.m., and slept straight through until 10-11 p.m. When he first wakes up, he seems very drowsy and ready to go back to sleep. Gradually, though, regardless of what we do (nursing, patting, rubbing, rocking, walking, or nothing at all), he wakes up more and more until he is wide awake. And nothing we do will help him go back to sleep until he is good and ready. Last night, I finally put him on the floor of the bedroom with some of his toys, turned on the closet light and cracked the door so he could see, put the pillow over my head and waited for him to get tired. The problem is that he also doesn't want to play alone, so he almost immediately came over to me and started whining.

I can't feel any raised areas on his gums, and we've given him Motrin as a prophylactic measure anyway, just in case. Doesn't do a thing. Teething tablets have no effect either.

I know, I know - this too shall pass. But when, WHEN? I'm going out of my mind with lack of sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-25-2005, 04:53 AM

Is it possible he hasn't burned off enough energy during the day? I've found our daughter needs to run around outside about 2 hours in the morning and another 2 hours in the evening.

What about going to bed a bit later for him?

Good luck!
#3 of 6 Old 08-25-2005, 05:42 AM

Do you have Dr. Sears' The Baby Book? There is a great chapter on sleeping and how to get your baby to sleep. I will post a link to the website for you...

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp

This is specifically about sleep...It really seemed to help us a lot when our dd woke up to play in the middle of the night. Good luck, Mama! Hang in there!!!

#4 of 6 Old 08-25-2005, 09:26 AM

I am going thru the EXACT same thing with my June 04 baby. I am almost positive it is teething. I'm getting the Dr Jay Gordon book from the library today because sleep in general has gotten to be horrible lately....our biggest issue is getting her to sleep, and then occasionally with her wanting to nurse for a couple of hours in a row (non-stop) at night, and now the past two weeks with some nights of 3-4 hour awake spans in the middle of the night. I really am almost positive that the non stop nursing and the big spans of awakeness are teething.

Anyway, this is awful, but what has worked for me, after I've reached the melting point and think my nipples will fall off if I nurse anymore, is to go down to the sofa, sit her up between me and the back of the sofa, and turn on a video. I can half way sleep and she zones out. I know it sucks, I can't believe I'm putting on tv for my baby, but it's better than yelling at her or letting her CIO which is what I FEEL like doing at 1am when I am DESPERATE for sleep. The other thing I've done recently is just give-in, realize sleep isn't going to happen, throw the baby in the car and go get my grocery shopping done while DH and my older DD slumber peacefully. I'm groggy the next day but at least I'm not groggy AND dragging both kids to get groceries. I've also considered letting her sleep in the car if she actually falls asleep while I'm driving....my last outing I laid the seats down in the back of my van and took a pillow and blanket just in case. :LOL

Here's hoping these teeth emerge and we are back to a good night's sleep soon!
#5 of 6 Old 08-25-2005, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and support!

We spend huge amounts of time outside in the morning and afternoon. We've had great weather here lately, and he's been so excited to walk that we're outdoors most of the day. One of my neighbors saw us a couple of days ago and said "he gets so much exercise, he must sleep great at night!" Huh, you'd think so, wouldn't you?!!

We aren't having problems getting him to go to sleep. We went through that phase a couple months ago, but he's been going to sleep so easily since he started taking only one nap a day. There's no way we can keep him up any later; he is exhausted when he goes to bed.

He seems tired even when he's up in the middle of the night. Fussy, agitated, rubbing his eyes - but wide awake.

Seedling, I'm sorry you're going through this too, but glad I'm not alone. I haven't made it out to the grocery store in the middle of the night yet - I wouldn't trust myself to drive - but we've also done the couch and video routine. :

Like you, I'm almost convinced it's teeth, but I can't feel anything, not even a raised area, on his gums. So how long is this going to go on?

DH and I have started taking shifts, and that's helping. I take the first shift, and stay with DS until he's been awake for 1-1.5 hours. If he's awake longer than that, I bring him to DH, who's been starting the night in the guest bedroom. That way, neither one of us is awake for more than 1.5 hours or so. It isn't great, but it's working, for the moment.

Still, I hope this ends soon. I am loopy with sleep deprivation.
#6 of 6 Old 08-26-2005, 10:46 PM

Just wanted to join in and say you're not alone! My DD has done this twice (or was it three times, I lost count) this week -- Tues. night she was up from 10:15p-1am and last night it was 2:15a-4:30a. It's just like you said, too -- she sleeps great from 7-10:30p or so, and even when she wakes at that point, she *looks* like she's tired and is going back to sleep, but the usual routine of rocking her back to sleep doesn't work - and then she increasingly becomes more aware of her surroundings, and before you know it - she's UP! And of course, nothing gets her back to sleep then, I just have to wait it out - it just happens when she's good and ready.....

Start the coffee..... :LOL

ETA: she has been doing this intermittently since she was about 6 months old. Granted, not every night - but a few in a given week, and then for a few weeks, nothing. Then, BAM, it starts over again.....I have *never* been able to figure out why, either.

Good luck - hope we both get some good sleep soon....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page