Another support for the sleep deprived thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2005, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I'd start this since we haven't had one in a while. I am at my whitts end it has now been a month of no sleep. I feel like death warmed over. My head and back ache from night nursing, my nipples are sore from pop on pop off all night long, and my dissposition is gennerally bad. Anybody else :LOL

Mom to Iris and Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005, 10:40 AM

I go on and off. Some nights are much better than others, but honestly at this point I just stay up all night anyway. I definately have the nursing-sleeping back ache going on. My nipples are finally feeling better after about a month of soreness, some of it pretty extreme. Sigh.

How old is your babe? You say a month of no sleep, but I wasn't sure if you were referring to age or not.

Edited to add: woops, didn't see your signature when I asked that Your daughter has about a month on mine. Telling me that you've had a month of this is now unsettling me, LOL... cuz if we followed suit, my craziness would be starting now. It's already crazy, I don't need any more crazy. All stocked up here!

HUGS!
This too shall pass.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 09-20-2005, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

We're all stocked up on crazy here too. :LOL My dd hasn't always been this way so I am holding out hope it is just some horrible exausting phase.

Mom to Iris and Henry
Old 09-21-2005, 10:25 PM

a few months ago my ds would continually be feeding at night, I ended up putting a pillow behind my back to ease the discomfort. He's now just +12 mo and has backed off to just a couple times per night. So I'm getting better sleep too now. Hang in there!!
Old 09-21-2005, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to try the pillow thing tonight my back is killing me. :

Mom to Iris and Henry
Old 09-22-2005, 12:32 AM

My ds is eight months and we're in the same boat...tonight he fell asleep at 8, woke at 8:30 (like most nights) was up until 10 and now at 10:30 I'm sure I'll hear him cry any minute..its like this all night. My 3 yo has weaned but still 'needs' to hold/rub forearm on his dee dees (what he calls nursing/breast) every once in a while during the night..grrrrrrr....

Mom to Ds1 (8 1/2) Ds2 (6) Dd (2 1/2)!!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:08 AM

DD is teething and waking nearly every 45 minutes or so. DW is having back trouble and is strung out. I help as I can, bouncing dd back to sleep and holding her for 1 or 2 hours (dd wakes less if she is in someone's arms) while propped up in bed with a ridiculously complicated system of pillows. I also get up and put pillows under DW's back, but she has been so sleep deprived they aren't really helping much anymore. I usually wake up when dd cries, so my sleep is constantly interrupted, though it is harder for DW. She did take a 2 hour nap yesterday when dd took hers. It there is any possiblity of this for you I highly advise it! Your back will still hurt but it will bring you back from the brink of madness (ever notice how funny things start to look, how surreal everything seems after extended periods without restful sleep?). I am a physicist and have to try to think while at work - my head feels like it is going to explode!
Old 09-22-2005, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootpapa
(ever notice how funny things start to look, how surreal everything seems after extended periods without restful sleep?).
:
Insane mama right here!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

I actually got some sleep the past 2 nights. last nigh dh put dd to sleep and she ended up snuggled closer to him in bed and he said he was able to keep her asleep by patting and shushing for most of the night.

I have found that all of this sleep deprevation has really taken a toll on my patience. Last night at work I snapped at the 2 year old i watch b/c he was stepping on dd's toys and I had asked him 8 billion times to stop standing on her toys. I feel like crap about it today.

wishing you all a restful day.

Mom to Iris and Henry
Old 09-22-2005, 08:57 PM

DDs are 25 months and almost 5 yrs. DD#1 is getting over the stomach flu, DD#2 is still nursing several times a night. Also DH has a nasty chest cold thing with violent coughing (and has high blood pressure so can't take a lot of meds).

So i'm exhausted what with DD#1 waking up to puke, DD#2 waking up to nurse, and DH waking up to cough violently and spit out the nasty stuff that comes up. BUT he NEVER wakes up when one of the girls needs something. The way he explains it, he's onlyl got 2 settings- deep sleep where he doesn't wake up or not really sleeping at all b/c he's on high alert, so please don't ask him to do that. (I'm a SAHM, but DD#1 is in preschool 4 days a week and DD#2 wakes up at about 6:30 no matter what, so it's not like I can sleep in after a rough night).

I have been coping very well IMHO but this morning I about quit. As DH was getting ready to go to work I said something like, well do you suppose I'll ever get to have REM sleep again?
His response was to roll his eyes, say he was sure I was exaggerating and why must I express such pessemism? OF COURSE he thinks I'm exaggerating HE NEVER WAKES UP!! I have to elbow him in the ribs and yell for 2-3 minutes if, say, both kids were to be puking at once and I needed help.
GRRRRRRR!
Old 09-22-2005, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

My husband gets up and does a lot at night but he is known to say "what are you talking about you sleep all night" when he has slept through her waking. :

Mom to Iris and Henry
Old 09-22-2005, 11:39 PM

We had a sleep deprived thread going last winter until about April, and I am still part of this club. : DS is 25 months old and still wakes up at least 6 times in a 9-10 hour period. Recently he has been going to sleep later, and keeps me up with little time forme to sleep between 1AM and 7 AM. I'm truly feeling brain dead these days. And I can't nap with him M-F because I am a full time WOHM! He has two more 2 year molars, then I am praying he will sleep better.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:08 AM

Oh, just found this thread. I'm in dire need of sleep, too. DD won't sleep more than 2 hours at a time, then its 45 minutes to get her back to sleep. And that was before the teething started
Old 09-23-2005, 07:51 AM

Have heard of men who sleep through anything. I was that way as a child, once sleeping through a fire, with fire engines only 3 houses away. But now I am a light sleeper, especially tuned to dd's cries. I know that I don't get the full brunt of it, though, that dw hears more because I sometimes sleep for as much as 3 hours at a time. I sympathize with all the women who have to go through these rough times. I sometimes feel guilty that I can't do more but dd really wants to nurse back to sleep and in general it is easier than getting up to bounce her (it can take me a few minutes to be able to get up and hold dd without falling down). So hang in there, all of you, you are doing a great job, one that largely goes unappreciated. It is truly a difficult thing and you are to be commended for your hard work and dedication to your children's well-being!

On another note - please don't hate me - I actually slept for 11 hours last night because dd and dw are away in Portugal visiting dd's guardians (godparents). I have to work so I could not go (we live in Germany). I get the wonderful benefit of lots of sleep for a week but have to pay for it with extra work and being away from dd. She is 8 months and this is the first time I have been away from her. I found myself thinking about her while falling asleep and upon waking. It is really hard to be away, but we wanted her to see her family. But I do feel almost sane again....

User Tag List