Mothering Forum banner

"Quit kicking me! Quit Touching ME!" and other fun thoughts in the family bed..

599 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  neverdoingitagain 
#1 ·
Okay, this is probably my 2nd thread I have ever made, so be kind. Post alot :LOL
Anyway, lately..(Lately? umm make that always!) my dd has been kicking me and trying to sleep side ways, and in constantly rolling into me, which is her cue that she wants to nurse. She's 16 months, and yes, I plan to nurse her for as long as she desires. Only problem is, I'm not sleeping! Compared to some, I have it good. I at least co-sleep making it easier for me to get back to sleep, should that ever happen...
:
is how I'm feeling.
I know she's teething, and I'm very patient and accepting that she needs some extra comfort...but when exactly is she planning on sleeping more that 2 hours at a time? Any practical suggestions on getting to her to sleep, oh, 3 hours at a time(BLISS!
:LOL ) how about 4?(gasp!
is it possible?
)
The lst time she slept through the night( I mean 5 hours) she was about 5 months old....yup...almost a year ago...

We nurse to sleep, and I know she is capable of falling asleep without it, and does so. But at night, thats what she wants.
We also use a pacifier...again, she wants to nurse at night. Ever see a baby pitch a pacifier across the room? Its impressive

Is there any hope? How can we co-sleep with our dd in a fashion that will induce longer sleep periods? (Why did I say we? My dh sleeps through it all
:LOL )
Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
tannis is there a time she seems to tank up rather than just pacify or nurse a little. one of the big discoveries i made of my dd was that many times she just wanted 'me' and not to nurse. so i would talk to her and tell her its ok, rub or scratch her back and she would fall right off to sleep. sometime of repeating that and seh never really woke up anymore for that feed as long as she felt me with her feet. at that age it was imperative for her to be touching me.

#3 ·
Nope, Meemee, she wants to eats almost every single time! I've tried to do what you suggested, prior to posting before, and she just ends up crying, and waking herself up
So, back to nursing her!
Thanks for the suggestion, though!
I'm thinking that I'm just getting a little touched out. I wouldn't mind if she was touching me with her feet, if she would keep them below the chest area :LOL Kind getting sick of being kicked in the head

I saw an article recently linking tv watching to sleep problems in children. Okay, I admit it, we watch too much tv
: At least it isn't " children's programmimg" no Barney/teletubbies/Elmo here! :LOL So I'm cutting back on the tv time, and I'm working on getting her to bed earlier. I'm not expecting her to sleep through the night, but maybe I'll get more sleep overall
:
If there are anymore suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. We are a very close family, and there is no way in HELL we could use CIO!
(not that we want to ) Just an extra hour of sleep at a time is all I'm asking :yawning:

I think I should add, in case people think I don't like the family bed, I actually love it. I wouldn't give it up at all. Despite the lack of sleep most nights, I love "waking" up to see my dd give a little stretch and a happy smile in the morning, or wake up to her giving me a kiss. Its the best feeling
If it means I never sleep again for the rest of my life, I would happily keep it. I'll be insane, but hey, it worth it :LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.