Natural Sleep Remedies for restless, nightwaking babies - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 72 Old 10-27-2005, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've added epsom salts and lavender oil in my quest for my ds to sleep better and be more comfortable. I still use the sleep balm, so he is smelling pretty fragrant at bedtime these days. The other night he woke up crying at 1 am and it took me until 2 AM to get him calm and back to sleep - then he slept for 4 hours, go figure! My Mom finally contacted her Swiss friend and I am hoping to get the Lysedil soon....
#62 of 72 Old 10-28-2005, 07:55 AM

Just thought I'd chime in here. My 9 month old DD has terrible sleep issues (since about 2-3 mos old) and I always keep my eye on this board for ideas. I read this thread earlier today, went out and bought the Badger balm (a store a half mile away from me carries it! woo!), and tried it tonight. So far... nada. In fact she's sleeping way worse tonight... and I didn't think that was possible.
She does sleep a little better once I go to bed and she can attach herself to the boob, but I have a bit of the ol' insomnia plus an much-needed internet jobby, so I do what I can. She usually ends up laying with me most of the night anyway while I contort myself to reach the laptop . Anyway... ... I hope to have a much better report on the Badger balm sometime in the near future
I do think she's teething pretty hardcore right now though, so no doubt that has something to do with it. Out, teeth, out!

Cross your fingers for us.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#63 of 72 Old 10-28-2005, 04:03 PM

After reading this forum I too got the Badger sleep balm.......hope it helps..only got it today though so we'll see!!!

I know w/ my older one better sleep didn't come till he was night weaned which didn't happen until he was over 2 :

I'm obviously not nightweaning my 9 month old but would really like better sleep!!!

Mom to Ds1 (8 1/2) Ds2 (6) Dd (2 1/2)!!!!
#64 of 72 Old 10-30-2005, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

I think sometimes it is gas that makes my ds uncomfortable, and I wonder if it is caused/exacerbated by nursing him almost every time he wakes. It makes me wonder if I should night wean him, but I really can't bring myself to do it. Today I picked up some Valerian Super Calm at Whole Foods. But it says to give it 3x daily, and I don't know how I can do that when I work out of the home full time. But I am going to try it as best I can and will let you know if I have any positive results.
#65 of 72 Old 11-24-2005, 09:27 AM

Just wanted to check in and say that the Badger Sleep Balm is still working well in soothing my DD to sleep

Hope all you mamas have had similar success!

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#66 of 72 Old 11-24-2005, 10:23 AM

We've tried it too, and it seems to help. Actually the first week or so of it, he slept great, but now we are having more waking again, but that does seem to help. Heck, I think the smell of it makes me a bit sleepy while I'm getting him into bed lol
#67 of 72 Old 11-24-2005, 03:06 PM

Badger Sleep Balm does nothing for any of us.

Homeopathy does nothing.

Benadryl does nothing, Dimetapp does nothing.

Melatonin does nothing.

I've tried one of the valerian-based herbal tinctures with no success.

Tried eliminating caffeine and was just cranky; baby still wakes up several times a night.

Tried night-weaning, with no success.

I am afraid he won't sleep well until he can talk, and is completely weaned.
#68 of 72 Old 11-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizD

Homeopathy does nothing.

Melatonin does nothing.

Tried eliminating caffeine and was just cranky; baby still wakes up several times a night.

Us too mama.

And mine CAN talk already.

And now I have blistered nipple from fierce nursing lately and apparent growth spurt.

Oh well.
#69 of 72 Old 11-27-2005, 04:20 PM

Badger Balm is THE cure for my ds' (age 3 1/2) occasional nap problems. I think it's the whole preschooler magical thinking thing, but ask me if I care. Love the stuff.
#70 of 72 Old 11-27-2005, 11:52 PM

Off to find my Badger Balm for tomorrow night so I can try it out. I bought it, but never really used it. Duh!

We had success w/Herbs for Kids Valerian Super Calm when ds was younger.

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#71 of 72 Old 11-28-2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizD

Homeopathy does nothing.

Melatonin does nothing.

: Me and my DD are in the same boat. She has been on the hourly wakeup schedule off and on all month, and I've tried just about everything with no success. Occasionally Motrin will help (she's teething something fierce), but even that sometimes has no effect. I think I will be crazy and sleep deprived until she turns two or so.

Christine, Perpetually Sleep-Deprived Mama to Sylvia (01/2005) and Stefan (07/2008)
#72 of 72 Old 11-28-2005, 12:29 PM

i have tried a teething tea i found in "naturally healthy babies and children" and it seemed to work ok for my ds.

i left out the lemon balm b/c it is supposed to decrease milk supply and i drink the tea as well as letting ian suck the cooled tea from a washcloth.

1/2 oz. dried chamomile flowers
1/2 oz. dried lemon balm
1/2 oz. catnip leaves
1/2 oz. lavender flowers
1 cup boiling water

combine herbs and put 1 tablespoon of the herb mixture in a tea ball or put it into a cup and pour the water over. let steep for 15 to 30 minutes and strain out herbs. i drink some of it while it's hot and let the rest cool down for ian.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page