Natural Sleep Remedies for restless, nightwaking babies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2005, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried an herbal sleep remedy from an herbal company out of Vancouver, but it did not seem to help. I have heard that a over-the-counter suppository called Lysedil sold in Switzerland is very good at helping babies who are teething/restless/uncomfortable like my ds sleep. I was also thinking about some other things I have heard people mention on this board like magnesium (I'd use epsom salts) lavender oil, etc.

Has any one here had any success helping their uncomfortable baby sleep better, and if so what have you used?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2005, 10:11 PM

"Badger Balm" has a sleep balm that worked for my little one. It never caused any skin troubles. I used it for a few years and it worked every night.

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:32 AM

Hyland's has a product, I think it's called Calm. I have not used it because its lactose base.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:47 PM

I have used lavender oil. I just use it straight, and touch it to his forehead, sometimes feet if pj's cover him, or belly if he is gassy. Also, if it is teeth or tummy, hylans has teething pills or colic ones that are great. I think I remember reading that they are lactase, which is somehow ok for lactose intolerant? Not sure on that, but they work wonders for my little guy, he asks for them even.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMOM
Hyland's has a product, I think it's called Calm. I have not used it because its lactose base.
OT Sorry if this is just really dumb but what's wrong with a lactose base? Lactose is milk sugar.. same sugar that's in breastmilk in every way. Or is the concern that there is cow's milk protein in there too?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:27 PM

The Hylands website says that it's safe for dairy-allergic people.

"People who are truly allergic to dairy can't break down the proteins found in the dairy products. We don't use the proteins, we use only the sugar component of cows milk. There is rarely a problem among dairy allergy people using these products. If you are very concerned, seek the advice of a licensed health care professional before using this product."
http://www.hylands.com/teething_faqs.htm

I'm not sure I believe them, so I discontinued giving the teething tablets to my dairy-allergic son. (Saw no difference in his night-waking habits, before or after.)
Old 10-11-2005, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

I tried the Hylands when my ds was younger, they didn't do anything for him. Today I bought the Badger Balm Sleep Balm and some epsom salts. I did not buy the lavender oil yet, but if these things don't help I will. Last night I got only 3 1/2 hours sleep because my ds was so restless and uncomfortable. I hope something works soon, I really need some sleep.....
Old 10-11-2005, 08:32 PM

Where can I find the sleep balm?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

I got the Sleep Balm at Whole Foods Market.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox5266
: : ::: off to whole foods ::::
Old 10-11-2005, 09:33 PM

I find the hylands teething tabs help my 16 month old before bed. They didn't help her when she was six months nuch but we tried them again a few months later and they work for her now (a big knock on wood)
Old 10-11-2005, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I'll add it to my shopping list. Is it safe to use every night, or is it just to use every once in a while?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:23 AM

It's safe (as far I understand, not a doc etc lol). My toddler had such gass at night for a while that it became part of our ritual to have one. He still asks for them when he is uncomfortable, I think that the chamomile in them is soothing. There are no warnings about over use or anything on them though.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:06 AM

wow i didnt know hylands night remedy was dairy/lactose based. i am glad i read this post!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, what a difference the Sleep Balm made! He slept for 4 hours straight, and only woke up 3 times - and was so easy to put back to sleep! No whining, kicking, rolling around, not sleeping misery. I'm going to use it again tonight and see if it works as well.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:05 AM

Went to WF tonight and they didn't have it...only baby balm. Anyone know of somewhere else I can get it? I'm desperate!

ETA: I found this website that sells it:
http://www.uncommonscents.com/badsleepbal2.html

Is that cost about right?
Old 10-13-2005, 01:19 AM

Uncommon scents is right down the street from me and I will say.... I LOVE THAT PLACE. It is a great little store , orkay maybe not so little anymore.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Wow, what a difference the Sleep Balm made! He slept for 4 hours straight, and only woke up 3 times - and was so easy to put back to sleep! No whining, kicking, rolling around, not sleeping misery. I'm going to use it again tonight and see if it works as well.
sounds great! i'm curious how you applied it & where? and anyone else with sleep balm success, please pipe in. i'm desperate, too.

thanx for this thread!
Old 10-13-2005, 04:38 AM

:
Need. More. Sleep. Also.

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymama
sounds great! i'm curious how you applied it & where? and anyone else with sleep balm success, please pipe in. i'm desperate, too.

thanx for this thread!
:

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:41 AM

:

Quote:
Keep us posted on if this continues to work....I'm seriously thinking of investing, :yawning: I would order it off the website that was linked. Was that a good price?

Old 10-13-2005, 11:22 AM

I buy Badger stuff from www.drugstore.com

I even got a free diaperbag size of 3 of their balms for purchasing a dozen Lansinoh wipes and some other stuff I needed. I hadn't even know you could get that size...
Old 10-13-2005, 11:31 AM

wow! sounds like the sleep balm is working! we tried hylands "calm forte" and it didn't work very well...i also put a chamomile tea bag in my dd's bath w/ some dr. bronner's lavendar liq. soap. then gave her a lavendar lotion massage after her bath..it was very soothing for both of us

it seemed that her sleeplessness was related to teething and a runny nose, so sleep has been easier lately, but i want to get some of that sleep balm for just in case! can an adult use it?

whats the name again? : we don't have a whole foods but we do have a local organic grocer that has lots of goodies

thanks

kelly
Old 10-13-2005, 11:34 AM

nevermind...i used the drugstore link the pp gave...found it thanks!
Old 10-17-2005, 12:15 AM

I got Badger sleep balm at Sprouts here in Chandler AZ. We're going to try it tonight. DD is itching for a good night's sleep.. :

Old 10-17-2005, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carla72
I find the hylands teething tabs help my 16 month old before bed. They didn't help her when she was six months nuch but we tried them again a few months later and they work for her now (a big knock on wood)
Same story here! We give her teething tabs every night just before bed (DD is 14.5 months) and she falls asleep sometime between 8 and 9 PM. She's been sleeping better since we started using them, and has a harder time falling asleep when we forget. So it's now just a part of the routine.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
Old 10-18-2005, 09:00 PM

Hi,
I tried a baby massage oil which included lavender but didn't work. Tried many over the counter homeopathy but no result. Finally, I consulted a classical homeopath and that helped and everytime my ds went through a bad phase of hourly waking I would call my homeopath and her remedies would help.

My ds is now 21 month old and started to sleep quite good only in the last 2 months -coincided with the night time weaning I think.

Does your baby have gas? teething?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:32 PM

I haven't slept in 18 months. Also tried Hylands teething tabs and their new kids Calms Forte - no luck so far. Even tried Rescue Remedy and something I got from a naturpath that's homeopathic as well. No dice so far. I'll see if I can find that Badger Balm here in Canada to give it a try!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:40 PM

Ooops, I meant to start a new post.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:27 PM

How are you all using the sleep balm? Where do you put it etc. on baby?

I bought some yesterday and am waiting to use it. My baby is restless from a horrendous travel weekend + cold + teething.

Also, is it okay to give a baby Calms Forte? Its lowest dose info is for ages 6 to 12.

User Tag List