ARGGH!! New AAP recommendation against co-sleeping - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100901598.html

Quote:
To minimize the risk of crib death, the nation's largest organization of pediatricians is recommending that babies be put to sleep with pacifiers and in their own beds, despite intense opposition from advocates of breast-feeding and the "family bed."

The American Academy of Pediatrics, hoping to settle some of the most hotly debated and emotional issues related to the care of newborns, is for the first time endorsing routine pacifier use and explicitly advocating a ban on babies sleeping with their parents. In both cases, evidence suggests the precautions would cut the risk of suffocation, the group said.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#2 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 11:59 AM

Did you see the Early Show seg this morning???

Oh My G*D!!

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#3 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 12:01 PM

I saw that today. Yeah, I'm sure babies die due to UNSAFE cosleeping. But done safely there is no more danger than crib sleeping.

I guess on the plus side they did advocate rooming in.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#4 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 12:17 PM

I wonder if any of the researchers have ever co-slept with infants/babies/children themselves? I'm guessing they have not. I sleep in such a different way if my child is in bed with me. It's automatic -- your body knows the baby is there and responds...doesn't it?

I didn't see the segment on tv but did read the article in the newspaper. Now I'm just waiting for all the phone calls from family and friends telling us how wrong we are for our choice. :
#5 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 12:32 PM

I was just popping in here to see if anyone else had read this yet. I expected outrage, yet there are only 3 posts. Come on people!

I really hope Mothering and API come out with some sort of statement agaist this ridiculous assessment. Oh, and LLL, they should be upset too. Routine paci use as well as sleeping alone.

Geeeez, how did we make it this far without the AAP to guide us? Humans have been surviving for a long time without thier reccommendations.

This right here is why I hesitate to use "The AAP says it's fine" for a pro-breast feeding argument, they say lots of stuff I don't pay attention to.

And you know all those peds who have been ignoring the AAP's statements about pro-bfing and anti-RICing are going to be standing on the rooftops yelling at mamas all over the place not to sleep with their babies. Good grief, I can't take this. It's making me nuts-o.

AND!! they suggest to avoid that flat head we are all so worried about: put baby to sleep with head facing one way for one week, then switch it to facing the other way for the next week. Darn those babies who try to move their own heads and get in our way of beig the perfect "AAP" parent. grrrrrr.

R~mama to 3

#6 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean0322
I wonder if any of the researchers have ever co-slept with infants/babies/children themselves? I'm guessing they have not. I sleep in such a different way if my child is in bed with me. It's automatic -- your body knows the baby is there and responds...doesn't it?

I didn't see the segment on tv but did read the article in the newspaper. Now I'm just waiting for all the phone calls from family and friends telling us how wrong we are for our choice. :

: I'm so disugsted with this recomendation. And then there is this quote from the article
Quote:
It remains unclear why pacifiers help, but some research suggests it might affect babies' sleep patterns in ways that allow them to awaken more easily.
Hmm...kind of like BREASTFEEDING? Arrghh
#7 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 12:37 PM

I didn't really see it all and I haven't read the new guidlines, but anyone else wonder why they call it "crib death" in the first place if that's where the baby is safest? Either way, it won't stop me from co-sleeping and I won't offer paci's until bfeeding is well established (my daughter was a sucker, but wouldn't take one, when she was little little, I wish she would.)

Mama of three.

#8 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 12:55 PM

: Totally disgusted with the recommendations.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#9 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23
I didn't really see it all and I haven't read the new guidlines, but anyone else wonder why they call it "crib death" in the first place if that's where the baby is safest?
That was my first thought, too.

What about those of us who use ecological breastfeeding? What about all the studies by James McKenna?

As for what my ped says, I don't ask her where (or with whom) she sleeps, so I figure my kids sleeping locale is none of her business.

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#10 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 01:01 PM

Oh, I just don't get it at all! Where is the head-banging emoticon?

They say...

Quote:
Consider offering a pacifier at nap time and bedtime: The pacifier should be used when placing infant down for sleep and not be reinserted once the infant falls asleep.
Ummm, how in the world is this better than nursing them to sleep? So, instead of nursing my baby to sleep I should just stick a paci in??? OK, I have just decided that these people are IDIOTS. I usually do not get worked up about stuff like this, but really, it is just ridiculous.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#11 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 01:06 PM

:
I'm speechless. How sad for yet another generation of babies...
#12 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 01:29 PM

I hopefully await the day when co-sleeping is embraced by the AAP and everyone "mainstream." Today, I am sad. So many mothers will avoid co-sleeping while they drive themselves nuts trying to get their newborn baby to sleep in a crib or bassinet when all that baby wants is to be beside Mama.

I hope that one day this becomes like bf used to be, from shunned to being considered the best.
#13 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 01:31 PM

I am angry and speechless. What an idiotic reccomendation!

:
#14 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 01:35 PM

ARGH I just saw this on my local news... the teaser said "New recommendations on sleeping for babies, that may surprise you!" Silly me! I thought it might be that they'd relaxed the back-to-sleep thing, realized that tummy-sleeping is not the problem... but no. They have come down on side-sleeping, and recommend pacifiers for all?!? : That makes no sense!

As someone noted above, pacifiers are a substitute for breastfeeding, a natural way for the babe to regulate the depth of his sleep- and best accomplished through co-sleeping.

What drives me nuts is that they don't even know what causes "crib death", yet they just make these willy-nilly recommendations. From the MSNBC article:

Quote:
"Over 2,000 babies a year are still dying. We should be able to do something about that,” said Dr. John Kattwinkel of the University of Virginia, chairman of the academy’s SIDS task force.

Doctors think actual numbers are higher because some true SIDS deaths are being blamed on other causes, said Moon, a SIDS researcher at Children’s National Medical Center in Washington, D.C. Data suggest, for example, that accidental suffocation, which is hard to distinguish from SIDS, has increased in recent years, Moon said.

Doctors aren’t sure about SIDS causes but a prevailing theory suggests that brain stem abnormalities affecting arousal reflexes leave some babies vulnerable when faced with challenges during deep sleep, including overheating and breathing hampered by pillows, stuffed animals or other soft objects. Babies sleeping on their stomachs are at risk because they sleep more deeply and their airway risks being partly obstructed.
First of all, how can you separate out what is a "true SIDS death" when you do not know the actual cause of SIDS? And then, if you say that suffocation deaths are not true SIDS deaths, then why say that breathing hampered by soft objects can cause SIDS? That sounds like suffocation to me. This is all just so stupid.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#15 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 01:50 PM

Ok, deep breath....

1. I saw GMA. I thought it was absolutely idiotic that this mother would say, "I'm willing to do anything to prevent SIDS" and then plops a bottle of formula in her daughter's mouth!!! Isn't the AAP the same group of yahoos that said that breastfeeding is recomended thru one year and acknowledges that is REDUCES the incidence on SIDS?? Can't this same group of people notice that the breastfeeding instead of pacifiers would acomplish the same goal????? But I guess that wouldn't make anyone any money, would it???? :

2. I find it interesting that if a baby dies in a crib or their own bed, it's SIDS; but if that a baby dies in their parents bed it's SUFFOCATION. Like somehow either baby is any less DEAD!!! Ultimately the statistics show that FAR LESS babies die in their parents' beds than in cribs ~ who cares what the cause is?? :

3. I don't agree with the "back to sleep" campaign as a whole. Has anyone noticed that SIDS didn't exist until CRIBS did? Has anyone noticed that since this campaign started the incidence of sleep difficulties, exhausted parents, CIO, breastfeeding difficulties, and ACID REFLUX have skyrocketed? It also seems an interesting coincidence that at the same time the "back to sleep" campaign began "working" the medical community also changed the definition of what constituted SIDS and many babies that previously would have been considered SIDS are now given diagnosis of suffocation, other medical/genetic conditions, and unfortunately murder.

My largest problem with this statement is that the AAP is further promoting a DISTANCE between parents and their babies. If the AAP put the same amount of energy into breastfeeding that they put into these other campaigns ~ our children would be much healthier for it!!!!!!

I am incredibly dissapointed in the AAP... is there anything we can do???
#16 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 02:18 PM

this is so frustrating. we saw this in the LA Times illustrated with a picture of a crib with fancy bed sheets--looked like an ad. the article was basically baby in bed--BAD! crib and pacifier--GOOD! (grrrrr!) now go be a good consumer and buy buy BUY! :

it just makes me angry that all these people are going to think that they HAVE to have all this unnecessary equipment to take care of their child.

the family bed has been such a wonderful experience for us. i am sad for all the families who will miss out on it. i hope people don't take this pronouncement as a sort of "case closed." i get so frustrated with don't-think-be-afraid-and-do-what-we-say rhetoric.

my husband saw the article first and announced it when he came in to say good morning (baby and i were still in bed...) He concluded with "but we know this is best."
hurrah! for the family bed!
#17 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 02:25 PM

So to prevent "crib-death" they're suggesting putting babies into cribs? And what's the pacifier supposed to do, stop the baby from inhaling the crib and choking to death? : Do you think they even *considered* doing an actual study before coming to their conclusions?

"Ooo look at me, I'm a big smart doctor, I can pull statisitics out of my @ss, ooooh, this idea is popular with the majority so I'll suggest it's the right thing to do. Lookit me, lookit me"

One comfort, mainstreamers never read the AAP's recommendations on bfeeding to at least a year, so they might miss this one too.
#18 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 02:29 PM

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/ar...00010000000001

this must be the same AAP study. i just saw it on AOL and i am..grrrrrrr.... i love how they try and cover their butts too by saying how they promote breastfeeding. ha!!!!
my baby is new only 3 weeks old today and im new at co-sleeping and not exactly sure of what i am doing..can you give me suggestions on what to do and not to do for co sleeping? i thought,too, that the baby is less likely to have SIDS b/c the mimic our breathing patterns being close to us. i dont know, im jus ta paranoid mother so help me regain my intelligence and remind me why my little one sleeping with us is healthy for her (besides how much i love to cuddle with her and hear her breathe next to me at anight )
<3,
nicole

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#19 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitenites

As for what my ped says, I don't ask her where (or with whom) she sleeps, so I figure my kids sleeping locale is none of her business.
I agree! Why is everyone so interested in where children sleep anyways? So yes, cosleeping is unsafe, but mysteriously thousands and thousands of cosleeping babies made it into adulthood, and somehow came out ok. Darn, how did they do it? *sarcasm*

As for the AAP :

I go with World Health Orginazation (WHO) recommendations insted of AAP's recs because quite honestly, the AAP is a bunch of QUACKS!

Why cant we just listen to our instincts?

aknit.gif trekkie.gif mama to DS reading.gif and DD energy.gif autismribbon.gif  

#20 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 02:33 PM

This has been eating away at me all morning. Is there anywhere we can leave feedback on these ridiculous "recommendations"? Off to check out GMA website to start...

JoAnn Married almost 12 years to DH Chris.  DS1 01/05 DS2 09/09 DS3 05/12.

#21 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 02:48 PM

I don't ever mention where my baby sleeps to my ped and since she told me to stop feeding my 4 month old bfed baby when he woke at night b/c it was "rewarding" him for waking - I stopped telling her ANYTHING about sleep at all.

I don't get why they are qualified to talk about co-sleeping in the first place since they obviously don't do their own research on it. This whole new recommendation irritates me b/c it makes NO sense. Like pps have mentioned, pacis are boob substitutes!! Why is it okay to give your baby a silicone nipple to suck on, but not the real thing? And what if your baby rolls himself on his side to sleep? And if they are in a crib, how would you even know how they are positioned? (Because even little babies can move- mine's been rolling to his side since he was a few weeks old!!!) IMO, having him in my bed has been safer! He has a human paci, I am able to know his position, I can sense his breathing pattern and he mine, and I wake at the tiniest movements he makes b/c I'm more in tune with him. Ugh.

All this AAP guideline is going to do is make it more difficult to defend my co-sleeping to my friends who previously would just make "oh, you're setting up a bad habit and will never get him out of your bed!" comments. Now they'll add unsafe to their arsenal and use it to champion CIO! :
#22 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 02:50 PM

I just heard it on NPR while sitting here at work. A female Dr was being intervied about it. I logged on here immediately to see if there was a post.

I am very disappointed... but I am not going to stop cosleeping.
#23 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 02:51 PM

So, I basically wanted to throw up when I heard the tickler for the evening news about this. My first thought was "they must have interpreted something wrong...I'll have to get the real story and tell them they've misread the statement." But, alas, it appears they were right.

This is particularly frustrating for me since I am now the Executive Director of a state Chapter of the AAP. This is a new job and it is allowing me to be home with my child while still working on causes I care about, so I am very sensitive to any issues that I don't agree with. I don't want to feel that I am working for something that I don't believe in. Not that my chapter actively promotes all the National policies, but there is that affiliation and assumed agreement, you know? Wouldn't life be easier if you didn't have principles and just did whatever television and popular culture told you to do?

Anyway, you can get the entire AAP statement on their website, but there really isn't any way to put up an "academic"/research disagreement to it without reviewing the literature they cite (which is a lot and I do not have the time to read all 137 studies they cite). SO, I also hope that Mothering or someone will look at their policy recommendations further and talk about the research.

Here is something interesting in their recommendations: "the evidence is growing that bed sharing, AS PRACTICED IN THE UNITED STATES AND OTHER WESTERN COUNTRIES, is more hazardous than the infant sleeping on a separate sleep surface". So, how is bed sharing practiced in non-US and non-Western countries that doesn't increase the risk of SIDS? Anyone know?

This comes out just as I was about to post something about worrying about our co-sleeping arrangement since my son has now started to slide down the bed at weird angles and ends up with his head within rolling-over distance of my DH or on his side with his face very close to my pillow! Geesh, like I need one more thing to worry about him...doesn't it seem that it is so easy to worry about our babies dying from the second they are born (or even concieved)? I refuse to live in constant fear, but it's hard not to with all the messages being thrown at you.

Anyway, I am rambling. I think I won't answer the telephone until the fallout from this happens and someone comes up with counter-arguments for the AAPs reccommendations. I am sure my family will start calling after they see their evening news! Argh.

~Mama to Skye (5) and Oden (3)
visit my handmade marketplace:  averywren.wordpress.com
#24 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 03:05 PM

: : : : : I am so pissed right now that my heart is racing. This is all we need. I don't think that I can even say anymore right now without much profanity.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#25 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 03:14 PM

i always love the "the baby could roll and get trapped in the footboard or headboard" argument. is the baby sleeping at the foot of the bed like thefamily dog? or being used as a pillow? the only time lucien has gotten "trapped" at the foot of the bed was went he was fully awake and squirming off the bed.

and as for the "there are other ways to bond with your baby" BS. i worked for the first year of my sons life. except for on weekends, night co-sleeping was the just about the only real time i had with him. in the morning i was rushing to get out the door, then there was time on the train home from work and maybe an hour when i got home - then he was ready for bed. and co-sleeping was just about the only way i got enough sleep to function at work. there were a few times i woke up and panicked "wheres the baby" but they were few and far inbetween and even in the winter when there were tones of blankets, he was always safe.

and i dont know about this "total ban on cosleeping." are we going to arrest parents for "endangering/neglecting" their child? how does one enforce this ban? who finds out about incidents of co-sleeping? are family and friends supposed to rat out each other?
#26 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 03:19 PM

I don't care about the AAP. They don't know what they are talking about. It's just sad so many people need someone to tell them how to parent. Kids were a lot better off before they became a cash cow
#27 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 03:20 PM

I almost think that "purposeful" co-sleeping is being grouped together with "fell asleep with baby in unsafe place- accidental co-sleeping." These are two different issues. I assume that where co-sleeping is the norm, people intuitively practice culturally-appropriate safe co-sleeping... Don't many families in other cultures sleep on mats on the floor & have less bedding, for example? The basic principles behind this can easily be translated to US-style sleeping. Throwing out co-sleeping for all because some people don't do it safely is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#28 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 03:47 PM

Further proof that the AAP is useless. There are so many flaws with the research and conclusions that I don't know where to begin. But it doesn't matter to our family anyway -- we've never followed the (woefully ignorant) AAP guidelines on anything, why would we start now?
#29 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 04:01 PM

AHHHHHH!! This is infuriating! I'm so sad for the babies/families who will miss out on the closeness provided by co-sleeping. Apparently my grandma already called my mom this morning to get her to talk me out of sleeping with my dd. Sorry, nope!
#30 of 119 Old 10-10-2005, 04:19 PM

I hereby declare my Magic Eight Ball to be more intelligent and more informed than the AAP.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page