Support for the Sleep Deprived - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-17-2005, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, fellow exhausted Mommies, how are you making out? I thought I found a way to help my ds sleep better when I used Badger Balm's Sleep Balm on him one night. But he never slept as well as that first night . I am still using it because it does help some, just not as much as I'd hoped it would.

My ds is 26 months old and I have not got 6 hours of sleep in a row since he was 2 months old. Tonight I just had it, I can't take it anymore. My dh came home and I just collapsed on the couch. I am at the end of my rope. It seems to me that my ds has finaly got his last pair of 2 year molars. I really think it is time to consider night weaning and putting him in his own toddler bed next to our bed. I would love to keep nursing him at night and keep him in our bed, but I have to see if he- and therefore we -will sleep better if this is done. But I am all talk and very little action :LOL . Just too tired to ever implement my ideas. Never finished NCSS - either book- never did the sleep logs, the 10 days, etc.

Just need to know, will I survive this? I am a WOHM so I can only nap with him on weekends. I really hope I don't have some sort of breakdown soon. Tonight I came pretty close to one.

On the other hand, I love my ds, would NEVER let him CIO, and I startle awake and panic if he is not in bed with me. Can't sleep with him, can't sleep without him.....I'm doomed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2005, 11:14 PM

Hi, yep, I'm there with ya! I use Hyland's teething tabs and they seem to work best for my 2yr. old dd. I've tried calms forte for kids and that doesn't seem to work as well. (Haven't tried it for myself though!) I'll have to give that sleep balm a try!
I don't have any btdt advice for you but just wanted to say that I keep holding out hope that one day this really *will* seem short lived. My dd is getting all 4 canine teeth right now and my 6 mo. old has not slept more than 3 hours in a row since she came home. (okay, she has but only twice). Some days I feel like they ought to take my driver's license away because I'm so tired I'm not fit to be out on the road!

Here's my new mantra: This too shall pass, this too shall pass, this too shall pass . . . :LOL

Here's hoping you sleep well tonight!
Old 10-17-2005, 11:23 PM

Oh I'm here, too!

DS (Brady) is 13 months and he has not slept for a consecutive 3 hours EVER. I have to admit I am disheartened to hear of your 2 year olds in teh same boat.

I began NCSS last week and so far all we've accomplished is going to bed easier. I am optimistic (what else can I be?!?) and Brady does have 2 teeth coming in on top of the 2 that popped through this weekend. I'm trying to be patient.

Bullets:
*he cosleeps, which is far better than him being somewhere else. At least when he wakes I can deal with him quicker.
*people do not "get" that at all. They assume moving him to a crib will solve the problem when the problem is not where he sleeps but HOW he sleeps.
*he spends a solid 2 hour block awake at night, thrashing and flailing and in constant motion through sleepy eyes. Weird.
*He generally wakes every 60-90 minutes now, and demands to nurse. Being on the boob will get him back down but he doesn't stay down for long.
*I have a health issue that is impacted by lack of sleep and needless to say it is declining quickly. Which sucks. But what else can I do?
*I am ashamed to say I did try a modified Ferberizing out of deperation a few months ago and I swear on all that is holy it made things worse....sealed my fate as a Sleep Deprived Mum. He became frightened, clingy, and even more anxious about seperation. It was awful.

So yeah. I'm here and subbing.

~Heather

User Tag List