Co-sleeping with baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-10-2003, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi -
I am interested in co-sleeping with our new baby that is expected in February. I'd like advice on where to find different "products" that attach to the parent bed to allow more room for baby. I'm concerned that our bed may be too plush and too small.

Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 01-10-2003, 01:13 PM

what we did was put the crib in the corner with a side off and then pushed the bed tight up against it. it worked great and we didnt' have to buy anything extra.

there is an "arm's-reach" co sleeper that attaches to the side of the bed and also some sort of little thing you actually put on the bed but I don't have experience with either of these. good luck on your impeding arrival!
#3 of 6 Old 01-10-2003, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Hi Nicole and welcome to Mothering. I'm moving your post over to the Family Bed board where you're likely to get plenty of advice. Best wishes to you and yours!
~Cynthia

#4 of 6 Old 01-10-2003, 02:27 PM

Hi Nicole, and welcome to Mothering!! Congratulations on your pending arrival. You have definitely come to the right place for cosleeping advice!

There are several options for cosleeping: as described above you can attach your crib to the bed by either putting it in the corner and pushing the bed up against it, or others have found ways to fasten the crib to the side of a "free standing" bed. You can also buy an "arms reach cosleeper" (do a search for that and you'll find the link) which is specially designed for cosleeping. Or you could just get a bassinet or pram and put that next to your side of the bed, though your baby will probably outgrow them after a couple of months, but by that time some people who hesitated at first find they are ready to have their baby in their bed.

My DD has slept with me since the day she was born. In the hospital she slept on my chest. My DH and I are both very "aware" sleepers, and studies have shown that it is a very rare thing for a non-drinking, non-smoking, non-medicated parent to roll onto their child. So we have always had her in our bed and at six months we still can't imagine her being anywhere else!!

A queen size bed is fine, and a king even better! We used thin cotton blankets in layers, rather than a "poofy" comforter, and we've never had a problem with DD in our bed. I'm just saying this in case you are tempted, or you might find, as many here did, that you went and bought these cribs and sidecar sleepers but never ended up using them!!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#5 of 6 Old 01-10-2003, 02:38 PM

Hi there and welcome! You've gotten some great advice already, I see. I am the mother of five great kids! I have co slept with all of them. My first was in bed with me. Nothing special was used but it was just me, I wasn't married. My second was in our bed in between us. Dh has epilepsy, though, so then I started putting her on the highest setting of the pack and play and that was pushed up against our bed. Though mostly she slept on my chest. The same with my third baby. I finally got a cosleeper with my fourth baby and I love it. The baby doesn't always sleep in it but I liked having her sleep there for insurance that she wouldn't fall off of the bed. And as she got older it was really nice if she went to bed before us. Then I could lay her in that and I felt that she was safe. The same for our fifth baby. So I would say it's a good investment. If you have a king sized bed, though, then it probably wouldn't be necessary!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#6 of 6 Old 01-11-2003, 11:29 PM

nicole, i think it is super that you would like to co-sleep with your new baby! my 'family bed' is probably one of the most wonderful things about being a mami right now. waking up to your baby's (usually) smiling face is a truly special experience.

i bought my arm's reach cosleeper at www.babycenter.com and i think the "sort of little thing you actually put on the bed" that mama2m&m describes is called a "nest" and you can find it at www.onestepahead.com ( and i think that they also have a 'mini' co-sleeper here, too)

HOWEVER, i must admit that my ds (5 mos.) has slept a total of about 30 mins. in the co-sleeper. early on, i decided that nursing was just so much easier for me if he was right in the bed beside me and i didn't have to hardly move. my co-sleeper, which i was sooo excited about before ds was born, is now the world's most expensive laundry basket.

good luck with the new babe!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page