Help - Night Terrors - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-12-2003, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is almost 3 and has suddenly begun Night Terrors every night since New Year's Eve. The first night he woke up 3 times early in the morning, and since then he awakens every night about 1 hour after he falls asleep. We find him standing on his bed, usually gesturing towards the ground, and yelling for us. He wants to be held and slowly awakens and settles back down. He usually has no recollection of this and we have noticed some correlation with a need to go to the bathroom even though he goes right before bed. I think it is related to a potty accident on New Year's Eve (his first public accident). My husband falls asleep with him at night, we have a soothing bedtime ritual (but he gets hyper as he gets tired and tries to crank things up a notch.) And he cosleeps with his dad. (I cosleep with baby)

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to help him through this (or maybe help us as he doesn't remember it in the morning)? I really thought we would avoid this type of thing by cosleeping, I'd like to believe it gives him a solid sense of his place in the family and a solid ground to grow from. Any help, guidance, suggestions are greatly appreciated.
#2 of 4 Old 01-12-2003, 11:34 PM

I know of a child who was round about the same age as yours and was having night terrors too.The parents took him to their homeopath.I dont know what it was that she gave their child,but within one dose fo it their child had no more night terrors!
#3 of 4 Old 01-12-2003, 11:45 PM

Dr. Sears has a 7-night awakening plan that he says helps with night terrors in the majority of cases. Take a few nights to record the times (how long after he fell asleep) the terrors began. On a subsequent night, put the child to bed and then wake him up fully 15 minutes or so before the usual time they begin - you have to get him out of bed for a few minutes and make sure he's really awake, then let him go back to sleep. You do this for seven nights.

Sears' website has details. Hope that helps.
#4 of 4 Old 01-13-2003, 12:12 AM

I have a dd who is younger than yours and she has had night terrors on and off for the last few months. One of the things that worked for us is Bach's Rescue Remedy. It takes about four little drops on her toungue and seems to calm her down really well. Other than that, it was quiet songs, rocking chairs, etc until she calmed down.

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page