When does a child understand the "edge of the bed?" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-13-2003, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are having carpet put in and had to take our bed down. We just have the matresses on the floor and Kade REALLY likes cruising around it. I have had thoughts of leaving it like this until the chance of him going off the edge gets smaller.

When did your children have a good concept of the edge of the bed?
#2 of 6 Old 01-13-2003, 10:41 PM

To be honest, I don't think even my two and a half year old has a good concept of this. He usually sleeps in a toddler bed, but the times he comes in bed with us, I put him in the middle. One time not so long ago, he came in in the morning and crawled in on my side. He was on the edge and fell asleep, and then I heard a thud. He wasn't hurt, thank goodness, but I learned my lesson. Our bed is pretty crowded when he comes in though, because it's a queen size with me, dh, our one year old ds, and then when ds #1 comes in, that makes 4 in a bed. So the overcrowding could have contributed to the falling off!
#3 of 6 Old 01-14-2003, 09:08 PM

I think around 11-14 mos for my kids.

mamapoppins
#4 of 6 Old 01-15-2003, 01:29 AM
Banned

Sophie is 14 months and definetly gets the "edge" thing AS LONG AS SHE CAN SEE IT.

What she doesn't seem to be able to do is extrapolate......like, I can't just fall backwards here, or I will fall off, so I need to take two steps forward....

But if she crawls up to it, she stops.
#5 of 6 Old 01-15-2003, 07:46 AM

Personally, I think that the only way a kid learns about edges of beds is to fall off once or twice. I think my 2 yo fell three times, but that was a long time ago and I can't remember for certain.

My now 11-mo has fallen once, while he was asleep, and once while awake and DH wasn't watching. While asleep, he scoots on his belly, and I suspect he went over head-first, losing his balance. While awake, he now stops when he gets close to the edge, but sometimes in the process of turning around to sit up, his bottom gets too close to the edge and he slips over.

Basically, as soon as each of my boys started crawling towards the edge, we started teaching them about turning around and getting off feet first. It takes awhile to teach them that, but I think it's important to give them that freedom/tool early rather than later. I don't know about your kids, but my boys are persistent and insistent about going where they want, when they want -- if I didn't teach them how to get off, they'd just continue to plow over the edge, looking for a way that worked, themselves.

If you're asking more in the context about rolling off during sleep, I'd suggest you get one of those baby fence things -- they're certainly not perfect, but if your child is getting to be mobile on the floor and able to get to the floor while awake, I think that's the time to use one.

JMO, YMMV.

L
#6 of 6 Old 01-15-2003, 05:38 PM

I noticed Tsuneo becoming aware of the edge of the bed at around 14 mo. But like Moon's dd, she is only aware of it when it is in her line of vision. Our mattress is raised off of the floor, and although our carpet is pretty thick, we still supervise closely as she is going through a "jumping on the furniture" phase.
Amy, mom to Tsuneo, 09/12/01

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page