Mothering Forum banner

My baby's becoming nocturnal

553 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  guestmama9911 
#1 ·
First, I'll be the first to say that in the grand scheme of things, our ds has fabulous sleep patterns--once he's asleep, he's down for about 8 hours, then awake briefly, then down for another 2 or so (sometimes awakening to nurse, but just latches on and falls back asleep).

BUT he's going to sleep later and later at night. He was falling asleep around midnight (after an hour of cluster nursing). Now he's up until 1 or 2. He'll fall asleep, wake up (either with gas or just on his own) and then be kicky and smiley and happy with the world for a solid two hours. This is killing me--it means I'm not up and functional until 11 or so, and I just can't do that and get any work done. (I'm a student.) He has been sick this week, so all bets are off whether this continues.

How can I try to move his sleeping pattern earlier? His naps during the day aren't terribly predictable. Should I try and get him up earlier for a couple days? I have to say, the thought of waking a sleeping baby... aiigh! We live in a dark apartment, and we're trying to get him sunshine during the day. Anything else? Oh, and I'm dairy-free (totally) already.

Sorry to ramble.
TIA for help.

See less See more
#2 ·
You could try keeping him awake in the evening instead of letting him nap and then play with him a lot to wear him out. My DS is only 4 weeks and he sleeps better at night (with several nursings on our sides) if we play with him a lot in the evening. If he naps too late in the evening, then he'll wake up fully in the night and not want to go back to sleep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.