Kids who don't need a lot of sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2003, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Both of my kids seem to need very little sleep.

DS#1 will be four in a couple of weeks. He goes to bed around 9:00/9:15 after a bedtime routine that includes bath and reading a few books to wind down. It's often 10:00, 10:30 or later and I still hear him talking, singing or reciting the books he has memorized. He is up between 6 & 6:30 each morning. He takes a two hour naps sometimes, but more and more days are napless. So, on a good day he sleeps 10 hours total, but often he only sleeps 8 hours total.

DS#2 is 16 months old. He falls asleep nursing around 9:30 and I can usually put him down between 10 & 10:30 (but some nights he stays awake a lot later). He stays in his crib until sometime between 12:00 and 1:00 when he comes in with me and dh. He used to sleep well, but now wakes a lot during the night and wants to nurse. He is not just sort of awake, he wakes UP for about 30 minutes and wants to play. He is up for the day at 7:30. He also usually takes one two hour nap. So, for him a good sleep day is a total of 11 hours.

Everything I read (both AP and more conventional) says that they should be sleeping MANY more hours than this. They've both been terrible sleepers since birth (I swear if we have any more I'm going to do something different... I don't know what, but I will! ). BUT, both are growing well, developing well and don't seem tired during the day. They only fall asleep in the car if it is near naptime or if it is late at night.

Since they seem fine, should I be concerned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2003, 11:34 PM

I have a 19 month old who sounds like your 16 month old. He went through a long period where he was down by 9 and up about 5:30 or 6 w/out waking in between. He started waking up and we could just hold him for a minute or two and he went back down. Now he is up somewhere between 2 and 4 am and is wide awake. Even if I nurse him he stays awake. Sometimes we are up for hours trying to get him back down. Sometimes he goes down and is up and down for the rest of the night. Needless to say, we are exhausted. I know this does not help you, but know you are not alone. I have tried the methods in Elizabeth Pantly's and Dr. Jay Gordon's books, but it is not working. He does not want to nurse back to sleep, he just does not want to sleep. I would love some input also. I am very sleep deprived. It definitely makes me hesitant about another one.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:31 AM

I think that kids are like big people, some need lots of sleep, some less. My ds is 7, goes to sleep at 10 and is up at 7;45. Is rested and happy, and does well in school. I know a lot of people think it is awful that I don't make him go to bed sooner, but I work late, and it is really good for me because I get to spend time with him. I usually get him settled in about 9:15- 9:30 and he knows he is not allowed to get up and run around. He is allowed to do a quiet activity for a little while. It works for him and for us, and no one is sleep deprived.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:42 PM

All I can say is, I feel your pain! My 21 month old DS goes to bed around 10, wakes several times during the night, and is up around 6 or 6:30. He naps once during the day, usually an hour, sometimes 2 if I can get him to go back to sleep. He never napped more than 45 minutes at a time until he was 20 months old.
I think Brandonsmama has the right idea...some kids just don't NEED that much sleep....even if we need them to! : I too am scared about having another child. I don't know how you are doing it with 2.
I remember reading somewhere that children that don't sleep a lot are usually highly intelligent. I wish I could remember the source. That little tidbit keeps me going sometime.
Best of luck -
Melissa
Old 01-21-2003, 08:23 PM

Yup. I read that about intelligence too. Pretty sure it was Dr. Sears. He is pretty reassuring about the fact that some kids are like that. I guess I just keep hoping to find the "solution"!
Old 01-21-2003, 10:56 PM

my 4 yo sounds like yours. he's now sleeping about 10-10.5 hours each night, but it's solid, with only one night waking that lasts for 5 seconds or so.

good luck...

mel
Old 01-21-2003, 11:17 PM

My dd is like that, too.

I console myself with the thought that she'll be able to do what I never could very well: party all nite and go to college/work the next morning!
Old 01-23-2003, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by simonee
My dd is like that, too.
I console myself with the thought that she'll be able to do what I never could very well: party all nite and go to college/work the next morning!
:LOL I'm not sure I want mine to do what I did...

My 2.5 dd is like that, too. She is just a night owl. It's tough on me because our 6 mo. dd is a morning lark. YIKES! By the time I get the toddler to sleep, the babe is ready to get up and nurse (and get up and nurse and get up and nurse)... This week we're trying to get the older one up when the little one gets up in the morn and have her nap earlier, but so far she's still not asleep before 10 and usually after.

T Jennifer, I LOVE your boys names!! I have Scandinavian named kiddos, too: Annika and Mia.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:10 AM

Yo bubbles! So he's just like my girl, huh? I'm telling you, it's that SD

Maybe it's time to cut or shorten the nap. Or do what truly broke our heart when we had to do it: keep her up later at nite
Old 01-24-2003, 09:26 PM

My 15-month-old doesn't need much sleep either. He goes to sleep between 8:30 and 9:30pm, is up twice in the night to nurse, and wakes for the day at 7:00am. He takes one 1 1/2 hour nap in the early afternoon and that's IT! He's not cranky, and doesn't seem to need more sleep, so I guess all is well. I'm just amazed when I talk to other moms whose toddlers take 3 hour naps and sleep 14 hours at night !

Kristina

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)

User Tag List