HELP..need some cosleeping advice for a very mobile 8.5 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-20-2003, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

We need serious help with cosleeping right now. Our dd is now getting up almost every hour and deciding that it is time to crawl all over the bed, off the bed, onto the wood pile, etc. I usually immediately grab her and nurse her. I don't think it is a case of wanting to practice to crawl as she has been crawling now for quite a while. Anyway, In the past she used to just fall right back to sleep but not anymore. Now I find myself now drapping my arm over her so just stays in one place. That does not feel right...it feels like I am restraining her. This lack of sleep is really really getting to me. I don't function well without a good night sleep. This morning I actually got up and said to my dh it's a good thing we did not sell that crib we have never used. I sooo wanted cosleepingi to work. Sometimes I think this is just a phase, but we seem to be going from bad to worse. Evertyime I move she wakes up, etc. I just don't know what to do. It is ruining my ability to parent her...I am seriously crabby and resentful at this point. I think it is starting to ruin my relationship with dh. He tries to comfort and be involved at night but even that just causes more crying. ANy advice would be sooo appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-20-2003, 04:25 PM

i hope someone responds to you.....

unfortunately, i'm not the one with the advice you want, but a fellow sufferer of sleepless nights for exactly the same reason. my daughter slept through the night early on until about 5 1/2 months. with not even a handful of exceptions, she has not slept through the night since, and like your situation, mine is also worsening by the day. my homeopath suggested a book that advocates letting her cry, and i am just ocmpetely opposed. i want to hear from parents who co-sleep whose children have had sleep problems and who have resolved them without letting their children "cry it out."
#3 of 5 Old 01-20-2003, 11:16 PM

We went through this exact same thing at about the same age. It think with some kids it's just inevitable. I don't think it has anything to do with co-sleeping.

We also have a crib in our room where ds takes his naps. What we would do is if he woke up and was really bright-eyed and bushy tailed, we'd put him in his crib with a couple of toys and let him quietly play for a while while we dozed. Occasionally, he'd lie down on his own and fall asleep, but more often than not after 20-30 minutes of quiet play, he'd stand up and 'call for us' and we'd take him back into bed and get him settled back down again rather easily. That's what worked for us.

I bet your dd will eventually outgrow this, as our ds did, but until then maybe you could try what we did.

lisa

Ooh, I just reread your post and you say she's waking up every hour! Oh boy! Ds usually just did that once or twice a night. Is your daughter teething? Or sick? I'm not sure what would make a baby who usually sleeps well get up every hour.

There have been occasions, not many, where ds had a hard time settling back down after one of his 3am play sessions. When this has happened, I just keep laying him back down when he tries to crawl away. He usually protests for a while and even cries a little bit. Sometimes we as parents have to set limits.

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#4 of 5 Old 01-21-2003, 01:26 AM

We don't have a crib in our bedroom, or even on the same floor as our bedroom - only use it for naps in the daytime, but I will consider rearranging things so that we do - the crib playtime might work for my daughter - thanks for the idea! Am also considering buying a king-sized futon just for her, so that she has room to do all the flailing she wants!
#5 of 5 Old 01-21-2003, 01:44 AM

Unfortunately, I am not much help either. We put dd in her crib in ds room at around 9 1/2 mos. Dh and wre not getting ANY sleep. The first night we put her in I expected it to be difficult. I planned to go to her when she woke up, bring her to our bed to nurse, and if she did not fall back asleep, take her back to her crib. She slept through the night!!! She fussed for about 30 seconds when I layed her down(half asleep) and that was it. I couldn't believe when I woke up and looked at the clock and saw that it was 7:00. Of course, I ran to her room to make sure she was breathing: . Ever since then we have had very peaceful nights. She and ds usually go to bed at the same time so they *talk* to each other at bedtime. If she does wake up, I always get her right away and nurse her. Usually I put her back in the crib cuz she seems to sleep better there. But if she nurses to sleep, she stays with us. She always comes into our bed in the morning for snuggle time. That is a great wake up for me. Good luck and hopefully you will get some much needed rest.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page