Anti-coseleeping editorial - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-20-2003, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This editorial appeard in the Deseret News from Salt Lake City, UT. Does anybody know what study they could possibly be referring to with this statement?

Quote:
A St. Louis study, for instance, found in 50 percent of the sudden infant deaths, bed-sharing was involved.
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,450027358,00.html

To submit a letter to the editor for publication in our Readers' Forum: Send the letter to letters@desnews.com. Letters must include a full name, address, city and telephone number.

--AmyB
#2 of 5 Old 01-21-2003, 11:46 AM

I'm sorry I don't but that finding seems to me to be a "non-finding." If 50% did involve co-spleeping then 50% didn't, meaning that cospleeping had no more relation to SID that sleeping apart. It's worded to sound damaging when the study itself, I'd guess, found no relationship between co-sleeping and SID.
#3 of 5 Old 01-21-2003, 11:10 PM

The studies that I have seen relate SIDS and co-sleeping if a parent is a smoker or has consumed alcohol or drugs. Researchers don't know why, but there is a relationship between smoking and SIDS, even if the mother smoked during pregnancy but not after birth.

Many studies will report the high incidence of co-sleeping and SIDS without reporting or investigating whether parents smoked or did drugs.
#4 of 5 Old 01-22-2003, 06:43 PM

AmyB! I live in Salt Lake too and I am SO glad I saw your post because I didn't know about this INFURIATING editorial. I am starting my opinion piece right now. I've been published in the Tribune before, but the Des News editorial staff seems a little less professional - who knows if they'll publish an article with REAL evidence to the contrary of their opinion.

I have seen several news clips (KSL and such) lately on co-sleeping, always with the "risk of suffocation" clause attached. I think maybe its time for those of us in the know to start SAYING something here, instead of just listening and rolling our eyes. I have no idea what St. Louis study they're talking about, but I think I might bet that if it exists, it was conducted in the inner city, where drug and alcohol abuse would be high!

Anyway, do send a letter. And I will sum up McKenna, Kissel, and others. Now, where did I put that issue of Mothering?
#5 of 5 Old 01-23-2003, 02:24 AM

Did they mention why these deaths occured?
Most studies forget to acknowledge the difference between responsible co-sleeping & not so responsible co-sleeping.

Babies DO suffocate in co-sleeping situations. Common reasons are:
*Parents have been drinking/doing drugs and have fallen deeply asleep and are not as aware of the baby as they would otherwise be.
*There are older children sleeping in the bed who unknowingly suffocate the baby
*The child falls between the mattress and head/foot board, or the wall
*A baby suffocates as the resuly of a very soft mattress or fluffy bedding

There are things you can do to make the family bed MUCH safer for your baby than a crib.
*Don't go to bed drunk or drugged (hopefully not a usual occurance anyway!)
*Move older children to their own beds or sleep between the older child & the baby
*Stuff blankets between the mattress & head/foot board so there is no space. Keep the bed at least a foot away from walls & furniture.
*use a firm mattress & as little bedding as possible. NEVER pull blakets up past a baby's waist!

We have converted to a matress on the floor. I usually give my baby one of her own blankets (up to her waist), & we have a firm mattress. I believe our bed is extremely safe, & I do not regret our co-sleeping decision!

Holly

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page