Transitioning to their own bed - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-21-2003, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds is 20 months, and has coslept exclusively since he was about 5 months old. He typically wakes every hour until I come to bed, and then every 2-3 hours, nurses briefly (or walks with dh) and goes back to sleep. The problem is that he has become a really bad bedmate lately - kicking, rolling over on my head, turning sideways so I have no room in our king bed, kicking all the covers off, wanting to play with my breasts, and waking more often. So we decided to try to transition him to his own bed in our room. We took the crib mattress out of the unused crib and set it up on the floor a few nights ago. The first day he took his nap there, but it was shorter. Then he nursed to sleep there, slept for 2 hours, and then we took him into bed with us when he woke. But since then he will nap there, and will fall asleep there, but will not stay asleep. So eventually we take him into our bed after an hour or two of trying to get him to stay asleep. He's not crying, just not staying asleep. He will get up and walk out if I don't nurse him or dh doesn't walk him. But it's not working anymore.

So my question is: How did you transition? Did you just stick it out straight through with no sleep until they slept there? Did you take them back into your bed for awhile and then try again later? Did you start them there and then let them come to your bed if they wouldn't stay asleep?

Any stories, suggestions, words of advice would be appreciated!
#2 of 6 Old 01-21-2003, 04:18 AM

Oceanbaby I am asking the same kind of question on another thread and still waiting for some responses. I hope the mamas and papas come clean on this one! Has ANYONE out there ever transitioned a toddler into there own bed? For the whole night?
#3 of 6 Old 01-21-2003, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

No one has done this?
#4 of 6 Old 01-21-2003, 11:21 PM

----------------
#5 of 6 Old 01-21-2003, 11:34 PM

We transitioned our ds to his own bed in his own room right after he turned two. He was waking very, very early obviously tired but not being able to sleep. Then he tossed and turned and was all over. We thought a separate room would help him sleep better.
We started with naps on a twin mattress on the floor of his new room. After two weeks we did night time in his room. I spent the first two nights in there on the floor next two him.
He didn't start sleeping well until we started putting him to bed earlier. He still got up early, but was happy and ready to play.
He woke once a night and I would go in and he would sleep.
For a short while he slept through the night. He then started sleeping later but waking about 4 or 5 and I would lay with him.
Then he wanted to be with us so we put a mattress on the floor of our room for him. He did that for about two weeks then started sleeping in his room again. He had decent nights for awhile, then I started going in earlier and earlier, until I was spending most of the night in his room. We attached a toddler bed to ours so he could sleep with us. He will only sleep in our bed when he wakes up. I went to my dads for a week and he slept through the night every night, in the same bed with me. I came home and turned up the heat in our house and now he is sleeping most of the night. (Only for about 2 weeks now.)

He's turning three in less than a month, so that has been our experience for the past year.
I realize there is no advice in my ramble. I guess my point is that, at least for us, it is always changing and I am learning not to expect the good or the bad to last for too long.
#6 of 6 Old 01-21-2003, 11:56 PM

my dd slept in our bed through the night at 5mo. as she got older, maybe around 1 1/2, i would nurse her to sleep on my bed and when i went to sleep for the night (around 11) i would nurse her and then put her in the sidecar crib. when she woke around 4 she came into our bed and stayed for the morning til we got up. this was great for all of us to have our own space to stretch out , but still be at arms reach. this arrangement lasted til she weaned at 3yo, then she still would fall asleep in my bed, then move to the sidecar. she stayed in the crib til she was 4 because she was and still is a very active sleeper, siderails just weren't safe enough. now she's 4y4mo and she sleeps on her own mattress on the floor of our room, with a guardrail on her bed.
the toughest transition for us was going from nursing to sleep, to me sitting with her till she fell asleep. most times it took 30-45 min, sometimes more - AAAARRGGHHH!!!
off the subject now, hope any of this helps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page