What is your bedtime routine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2003, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i don't really have a routine down for putting my dd to sleep. We are quite lucky from what i hear because she sleeps well at night, waking for the occasional snack and change, then right back to sleep. I wonder if anyone thinks routine is nessesary for newborns? DD is 6 weeks. Our schedule is eractic because dp and i are college students. I would like to know how you put your baby to bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2003, 06:54 AM

Don't have one. Never had one. DD is six months and still sleeps very well.

For most of her little life she has gone down for the night at around 11 pm and sleeps until around 9:30 am. Except for one phase that lasted about 3 or 4 weeks where she was up 'till around 2 am, but at least she still slept for about 10 or 11 hours!

In the evening DH and I just hang out and do the usual thing - watch TV, work on the computer, etc. DD plays, eats, naps at various intervals and in no particular order (lol) right through the evening, though her naps are shorter than during the day. At around 11 pm she goes to sleep and stays that way. DH is often in bed earlier than that, I join him with a sleeping babe in my arms or we both go in together, and that's it, lol.

I think schedules/routines just lead to frustrations on those days when the baby has other ideas. If you just go with baby's cues and not give it another thought it is one less thing to worry about. Of course for some people it helps their family to have a routine, and it may be important for older babies (ask me in a few months, lol), but my motto is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 01-22-2003, 04:28 PM

We've been very lucky with our 3-month-old, as well. She has slept really well at night almost from the beginning.

A few weeks ago I started a bedtime routine with her. I just give her a baby massage in the quiet, dim bedroom, then nurse for 20 minutes and she's usually out. My big thing was what time she was ready for bed. She used to not conk out until 10 p.m. I tried moving it up a little. Nine o'clock works good, but at 8:30 she's still not ready. So we're sticking with 9 p.m. for now. It's nice to have that last hour in the day to myself.

Works for us!!
Old 01-22-2003, 09:49 PM

We started a bedtime routine with DD when she was between 3 and 4 months old... Around that time she seemed to start getting tired at around the same time each evening. She's now about 6 months old, and the routine seems to work well for her. She usually starts to get a little fussy between 6 and 7. As soon as she does, we take her up for a bath (mostly because she LOVES the bath). We then get her dressed, read some books (as many as she's interested in), and then I nurse her in our bed until she falls asleep. If she doesn't fall asleep nursing (and this is really rare), we either read some more or walk with her and sing to her, depending on how tired she seems. We have a video baby monitor, so I can watch her sleep (and see if it looks like she's going to stir to nurse).

User Tag List