Couple questions..cosleeping with one year old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-25-2003, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI!! I read here all the time but haven't posted much.For the most part we have done very well cosleeping.My DD starts every night i her crib.She usually sleeps about 2-3 hours and then wakes up and I bring her to the "big" bed and she nurses back to sleep.She used to sleep 5-7 hours in her crib and i wonder what happened..but that is a whole nother post...hehehe.Could be those first year molars!!Now to my important question- Even though I love waking to her grinning face every morning as she pulls everything off my nightstand...some days I would like to get up prior to her and shower.She used to sit happily in her walker/seat and eat cheerios while I shower...now she screams bloody murder if I even think about walking towards the bathroom.I am tired of being the stinky mom.LOL.any suggestions?? She understands feet first and can get off the bed on her own but I don't want to take chances, she does sleepcrawl into the wall at the head of the bed all the time.
Linda

ps: hubby does overnights with his job so some days he can watch her but others I'm on my own.I feel so much more productive when I get a shower I just know this is why I have been feeling so disorganized lately I need that 15 min to myself!!
#2 of 5 Old 01-25-2003, 07:04 PM

Have you tried taking her into the shower with you? We have a small cubicle shower, but both of mine come in with me (and with DH when it's his turn) all the time. They play with buckets and bath toys at my feet while I bathe, and then I usually soap them up too. I get out first and dry myself off while they continue to play with their toys, and then I take them out. If it's just ds, I generally leave the water on when I get out, but with dd I turn it off and get her out as quickly as possible because she tries to walk out on her own and it's slippery. We have a no-slip mat that we leave attached to the wall in their, and when the kids come in with us we put it on the floor so we don't have to worry about them falling. Good luck! DS used to pull everything off too, but he eventually grew out of it.

edited to add; I didn't see the "time to myself" part before, and I know what you mean. I have days where I simply do NOT want the kids in the shower with me. But maybe if you can shower at all, it'll help a bit?
#3 of 5 Old 01-25-2003, 09:00 PM

Every other day I wash my hair bent over the tub (we have a hand held shower thingie) and then bathe with dd. She thinks the whole thing is hilarious. On the other days, I shower and let dd peek in the far end of the tub. I affix a couple toys with suction cups (she sees these ONLY when I shower) to give her incentive to stay at that end. I figure she'll get bored after watching me shower a few hundred times and eventually want to do her own thing for a bit. I can't take her in the shower with me because she won't stay still enough for me to feel secure.

I know this doesn't address the "time for yourself" need, but it does leave my shower routine stress free, which is almost as good.
#4 of 5 Old 01-26-2003, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

for all your suggestions.I am looking for an inexpensive shower sling to take her in with me. I have been afraid to bring her in because she is so active and we have a tub shower and slippery wet baby=bumped noggin!!! I may buy a non slip tub mat and some special shower toys and give it a try.You guys have given me encouragement...that I can be clean too,LOL.Being a firstime mom is definitely a learning experience!!!Sometimes I take a bath with her so I might have hubby hook up a sprayer thingy to do my hair also.Such good ideas.Thanks again.

Linda
#5 of 5 Old 01-26-2003, 01:51 AM

lol, I know what you mean about the slippery part. I was much more wary of taking ds in there with me, but then dd was born with kidney issues and so we didn't want her sitting in tub water so she *only* took baths until she was almost one year old...That certainly got me over my fear! Good luck! I'm glad you feel a little helped.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page