Waveless waterbed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-25-2003, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right now we use a futon on the floor, but my IL's are coming and we need to get another bed, as they are staying for 2 months! Yikes! FIL has a bad back so needs a firm bed and we were thinking of giving them our futon, as it's quite firm. My father offered to give us his king sized waveless waterbed. This waterbed is not as soft as most waterbeds and acts more like a pillowtop mattress.

So my question is do you think it would be safe for my 25 mo. old to sleep on the waterbed? Secondly, if we fell in love with this waterbed, when would it be safe for a younger baby to sleep on? We plan to have #2 in a bassinet next to our bed until it can roll over, as we did with dd. If we need to one of us can sleep with #2 on the futon until it gets old enough for the waterbed. Just wondering what is old enough.

Thanks!
Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#2 of 5 Old 01-25-2003, 03:11 AM

DH and I stayed in Virginia for a week at my cousin's place and she had a king size waveless waterbed for us. DD was 4 months at that time and slept just fine. It was quite nice, actually and not very "squishy" at all. I wouldn't buy one, simply because I prefer a firmer mattress, but otherwise it was a nice bed. From my limited experience with that, I'd say it is safe for any baby who has a modicum of head control (can turn their head side to side when lying on their tummy).

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 5 Old 01-25-2003, 03:15 AM

I had a waveless (flotation style) when dd was an infant and we slept together from birth. Never had a problem.
#4 of 5 Old 01-25-2003, 09:51 AM

I would say it would be fine. We have a waterbed that sounds like what your father has. It has a pillow top that unzippers off all the way around, to reveal a bunch of tubes running top to bottom. Inside the tubes there is water of course, but there is often either large (5 inch maybe) plastic coil like springs or foam. This is supposed to add support and reduce the movement of water. Simply having the water in separate tubes as opposed to one single bag is like night and day. The most fabulous thing is that when dh does a triple lutz in his sleep, it doesn't wake me up.

Also with these beds, it looks like a regular mattress, uses regular sheets and doesn't need a heater because it is inside a reg mattress. It is safer for babe because it is firmer, and unlike regular water beds, it is NOT inside a wooden box frame. From what I understand, one of the big dangers of regular waterbeds is that babe can fall down between the waterbed frame and the bag of water.
#5 of 5 Old 01-27-2003, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks you alll! I feel a lot better about this! My dad's bed does have a frame with it, but not sure if it's necessary as it has the tubes, etc. that Golden described. We are going to keep it in the frame for its own protection from dd. I can just see her falling on it with a pen and popping it!

Since #2 wouldn't sleep in the family bed until it was older, and not on the side of the bed but in the center of it, I think we'll be fine.

Thanks again!
Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page