Desperate for help weaning a nightnurser - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-28-2003, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been weaning my 22mo old for the last 12 months! My current situation is that he associates sleeping w/nursing. He wants to nurse down and starts at 7pm and goes off and on till he falls asleepat about 8:15pm, he then wakes 2-3x/night to nurse. We have a family bed which I didn't mind except now he insists that my side of the bed is " His Bed!" so I end up at the bottom half of the bed. I committed to nursing for a year and that has turned into almost 2. I feel that my medical professionals never really explained how to wean and when to start, and I thought I had the hang of it but I am stuck on the final stage. Does anyone have any sound advice? By the way he throws fits everytime Daddy tries to put him to bed!:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-28-2003, 10:28 PM

My son is only 6 months, so I'm not there yet, but I think there's a lot of practical advice on these boards, if you run a search. Also check out the Extended Breastfeeding forum for lots of advice on weaning.

Have you read Elizabeth Pantley's book The No-Cry Sleep Solution? or Jay Gordon's book Good Nights? Both advocate gentle techniques for getting your baby to sleep without nursing. Gordon's book in particular has a gentle nightweaning plan.

For weaning in general, there's Kathleen Huggins' book on The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning.

I don't know that "medical professionals" are the ones to tell you how to wean - most doctors and nurses don't have a clue about breastfeeding!

22 months is great - good job!

And welcome to MDC, I hope you find the help and support you need here.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 3 Old 01-30-2003, 07:14 PM

Since my boy was old enough to express his opinion on the bed, I've been letting him know that the bed is MINE, not his, even though we co-slept. I get the most comfy parts. I get the best part of the pillow. He does not get to bring all of his toys into MY bed. Even dh knows that it's my bed. Call me possessive. I give all of myself to my child. He doesn't need my bed too.
Now that ds is 3, he has a toddler bed in our room, which is His bed. He can still come up with us, but usually ends up back in his own bed, because there is also a 7 mo old baby in the bed.

For nightweaning, do a search in this forum. Also try Dr. Jay Gordon's website. A lot of folks do some version of what he suggests for nightweaning. I think it is www.drjaygordon.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page