Can Babies sleep withOUT a pacifier or nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-30-2003, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's 5am and I've been trying to get my 3 mos. old to sleep for over an hour. He's tired and all he wants to do is nurse tosleep. But, ever single time he starts to drift off, he bites and scrapes his razor sharp little teeth downmy nipple and it hurts SO much that I pop him off and he's wide awake again. He won't take a pacifier and spits it out immediately.

So, I tried letting him just fuss next to me (he's definitely not hungry.) hoping he'd go to sleep but no such luck.

What do you do?
He's had the teeth out for over a week so I'm pretty sure it's not teething. My dh can't help b/c he sleeps in the other room w/our 2 y.o.

I don't want to give up nursing, but I can't give up sleeping either. I start back to work f/t on Monday and I feel lost.
#2 of 6 Old 01-30-2003, 07:11 PM

Ouch! I thought it was bad my dd teethed at 5 months. I remember those days! In fact, it still happens when dd (12 months old) gets some new teeth. Since your baby is so young, it will be hard to teach him some nursing etiquette. Even though you say his teeth came out a week ago, he is just getting used to the feel of them in his mouth. That's why he is biting you when nursing. It is soothing to his gums. Plus, he is testing them out. There is also the possiblity that he might be getting more teeth. The only thing I can suggest is to try rubbing some anbesol on his gums when he seems like they are bothering him. Also, instead of a pacifier, you can let him gum a wet cloth or your finger. The only thing you can do at this point is ride it out. Once he is a little older, you can begin working on nursing etiquette, by telling him "No, that hurts mommy" whenever he bites you and breaking the latch. For now, just try to minimize your pain and his by trying different alternatives that soothe his gums. If you are interested there is gum massager called the Angel Brush that is a toothbrush that is also a chew toy. You can find it at firstbrush.com. Dd often uses it when she is teething. I'm not sure if this really helped you but hang in there!!

Libby
#3 of 6 Old 01-30-2003, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BusyMommy
He's had the teeth out for over a week so I'm pretty sure it's not teething. My dh can't help b/c he sleeps in the other room w/our 2 y.o.
I was going to suggest your DH, but I guess not. I also wanted to say that every time I think, "he's not teething, his teeth just came out," he gets MORE teeth relatively soon after. So maybe he's getting other teeth?

My DS does exactly what you described. Sometimes he'll take the pacifier, but it doesn't soothe him at all, he just likes playing with it and chewing on it, often on the hard plastic part, not the nipple.

I wish I had a solution for you. If you find one, I'd be interested in it!
#4 of 6 Old 01-30-2003, 08:19 PM

There are times when DD would prefer to be rocked to sleep in our arms, rather than nurse to sleep, but she does prefer to nurse to sleep most times. Or DH will rock her to sleep but when he comes to bed with her, she'll almost always want to suck a while before drifting off to sleep. It's not a problem for me, but she doesn't have teeth yet and also doesn't hurt me as much as yours.

A suggestion for you to help prevent your nipples being hurt...can you wedge a pinkie finger in there as he starts to drift off? Very slowly, rather than just "popping him off". I do this with my DD once in a while b/c she is "gumming" me on occaison. I just have my pinkie "at the ready" and slowly slide it in the corner of her mouth as my nipple is sliding out. If she stirs too much and I think she'll awaken, I'll put my nipple back in her mouth, but she latches on properly again so it doesn't hurt. It's when she is drifting off to sleep that sometimes she sort of gums and stretches it (other times she just lets go). Oh, and make sure your pinkie fingernail is short! lol.

I hope this helps. Other than finding a pacifier that your baby likes (and that might introduce a whole new set of problems later on, or not) I'm not sure there is much you can do at this point.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#5 of 6 Old 01-30-2003, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That scraping thing is the worst. That is the problem that origanaly got me to go to a LLL meeting. Ihave been a leader for 5 years now and have had 4 co-leaders and I still don't know how to make it stop. (well, dd#2 was a serious biter so I can't really say that I noticed the scraping. Not the solution i was hoping for )

As for sleeping without sucking. Yes they can. When you notice your baby starting to drift off gently remove your breast from his mouth. Do it over and over and over as many times as needed until he sleeps instead of complains. If he cries nurse again and then gently remove. It is long process (it could take several weeks to a couple of months to completely break the habit) so be patient. Be sure to insert a pinky to break the suction first. Or it could really hrt Good luck.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 6 Old 01-31-2003, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU ladies. I have something to try tonight

All my fingers and toes are crossed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page