To nap or not to nap...HELP!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2003, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My three-year-old has always needed naps and can sleep for an hour and a half if I leave him. The trouble is lately he has not been sleeping well at night. It's hard to get him settled and he wakes up at about 3 in the morning. The nightwaking is not too bad because he just comes in to my bed and usually falls right back to sleep..(usually: ) The thing is, it has become a fight to get him to nap in the day even though he is very tired. He is grumpy and pale and, well, tired. From about 3pm on he is pretty useless. It's impossible to take him anywhere or keep him interested in anything besides movies. I'm tired too because I have a little baby as well and the afternoon rest has been so nice for us all. Anyway should I just give up on trying to get him down in the afternoon? Is this the end of naps and kind of just an "in between" phase? Any advice?? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2003, 11:08 PM

I've been going thru the same thing with my ds. He just turned 3 and always took about a 1 hour nap in the late morning, and I always napped with him. Our new dd was born in november and since then, it was impossible to get him to nap. He would always nurse for about 5 minutes and drop off to sleep and i would lay him in his bed, but after the baby he would nurse for like 30 minutes and he would start to doze off and if i tried to get himm off the boob he would freak out - i mean get hysterical - and wake up in a foul foul mood and not go back to sleep. So I decided f#^% it - I couldn;t sleep with him anymore anyway because dd would always wake up as soon as he nodded off.

He had a really hard time at first, but wouldn't fall asleep unless he nursed or was in the car, and a few times he fell asleep at 4pm, and was up till 9 or 10, but he finally seems to have adjusted and goes to sleep right away at around 7:30 till about 6:00 a.m. When he napped he would sleep from about 8:30 till 5 or 5:30 and nap for about 1 hour. He still wakes up a few times at night, but less than he used to, and he still gets tired from about 11 till 1:30 , but if he does fall asleep in the car and takes even a 20 minute nap, he will be up till 9 or so. Our pediatrician said he should be getting at least 12 hours of sleep a day, which I think he never has done in his life!

I've talked to a few moms who said the same thing - their kids stopped napping around 3, especially if there's a new baby. I think it takes a while for them to get into the cycle of sleeping long enough at night to compensate for the nap - in our case about 2 1/2 months! I hope this helps - good luck!
Old 02-03-2003, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Madeline slept from 1pm tto 4 om every afternoon (Bliss ) untill she was 3 1/2 and her sister came along. Must be the thing to do It could be worse though. dd#2 gave up napping altogether whyen she was about 14 months and then she only napped sporadically, shortly and only in the evening (which means she wouldn't go to sleep until midnight or 1am)

As for the wierd inbetween thing, I would fight to keep my children awake. even if they were misreable because if they fell asleep too early the would wake up at about 10 and be ready to go. for both of them it took a coupolke of months for them to adjust thier night sleeping to meet thier needs.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 02-03-2003, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your responses! So it must be a "three-year-old-with-a-new-baby thing .He's been sneaking naps during car-rides and today we all had a nap together because I really needed the down time and so did the kidlets. How do you get the baby to sleep with the three year old running amuk? I swear he purposley tries to make it hard for me to get his little bro. to sleep even though I explain to him that when baby is asleep then we can have some one-on-one time. Especially because he (3 yr old) needs a nap so is especially difficult to reason with. I end up almost forcing him to stay in his room and try to sleep just so I can have some quiet time to get the baby down. I dread naptime

User Tag List