Needing Futon Recommendations.. we about to spring for a king! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-02-2003, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ds, 2.5 yrs old is hanging off the end of the toddler bed next to our sucky but fairly new (ack!) pillowtop queen. He's almost 40 inches tall and has now taken to sleeping between us so I am spending part of the night partially on the toddler bed.

Here's where I need help. We live in the fogbelt so we need some type of frame for a futon to keep mold from growing under the bed. What is working/not working for you?

Do you have any futon brands to recommend/not recommend? We are leaning toward one with latex in the middle AND it doesn't need flipping and looks like a regular mattress. I don't remember the brand but it's around $350.

I am reluctant to purchase something even though we really need it because I bought the NEW EXPENSIVE queen pillowtop before ds was born thinking he was supposed to sleep in a crib, hah!

Our house is so small, 750 sq ft that ds won't even have his own room until he's an adult, well - a bit sooner than that, so this king futon must last us 10 years or so.

Our last futon, a queen wouldn't fit on our new tiny house and I loved it so I know a futon is the answer, but which kind?!?!?!?

Help!

Thanks,

Rebecca
#2 of 2 Old 02-02-2003, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, if you want a futon that lasts for years, spend the xtra money and get the deluxe one. We bought a king size futon while I was still pregnant and used it until dd was 3 mos old and we moved to a furnished apt. I really loved it. We got the kind with the springs inside and foam around the outside. It was very comfy and what I loved was that I wasn't disturbed by DH moving around at night. I did find after a few months that there were "indentations" where we each slept. The futon stuffing does tend to flatten after a while, so I recommend getting a futon with the least amount of "batting", more springs and foam if you want it to last longer. We paid about $300 for ours but there were one or two models higher. We just knew we wouldn't have it for long so we didn't go all out.

As for the frame, we got an assemble-it-yourself pine platform frame for $200 from one of those unfinished furniture places. It looked fine and was very durable and comfy. I didn't bother staining it, again b/c it was temporary for us, but you could do a nice finish if you were so inclined. It wasn't too high off the floor either.

HTH!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page