Going to get a KING ! Do you love your bed? Please advise. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2003, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yahoo! As Valentine's gift to each other, DH & I are finally going to (if it fits up the stairs )get a king size bed- we've been wanting this since BEFORE we had babies. But I am clueless as to What kind/name/brand??? Does anyone have a bed that they love? A favorite? Any advice on buying one? What to expect to pay???
Four of us will now actually ( I hope) fit comfy all night together .
Oh....and our bedroom is on second floor and it's an old fashioned stairway w/ gooseneck bannister & hallway-kind of low clearance....oh no....that's not problem is it??? (Our queen - solid box spring wouldn't fit up-- so we've been on double/full futon) But don't King boxsprings come in 2 pieces?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2003, 04:26 AM

Countrymom,
I LOVE my bed!!! It's called a Duxiana. It really was a HUGE investment, but worth every single penny. Considering we spend a third of our lives in our beds, we figured it was worth it. We had gone to a friends house and slept on one and woke up in the morning unable to talk about anything but this mattress. It was over $5000. I know--sounds crazy. But I'm telling you, it's amazing.
We also have a King--the bottom mattress is in two pieces that bolt together, and the top is a very thin mattress that will bend. You can find them on the internet to find the store near you. If you go to a store and lay on the mattress, it won't seem so amazing--its when you wake up after a night's sleep. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2003, 10:12 AM

We have a king, but it is a futon. As far as space is concerned though, we love it. I'll have to ask my FIL about a box spring and matress. He moved furniture for 30+ years.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:43 AM

We have had a select comfort king for almost 8 years, and LOVE it. I will never get another kind of bed. it is the kind you can adjust the firmness on each side. Fits us and both kids Great!
Old 02-03-2003, 12:55 AM

We just bought a king bed yesterday! We have been wanting and needing one for a long time, and we have both been having back and neck problems from the bed we have. We bought a SpringAir brand, and I think it wa shte second most expensive that they had. The company makes differect labels for the same matress o you can't cross shop- but watch prices- everything will be close to the same. There are two separate box springs but just one top matress. We have some sharp turns too, and we had to do some pushing to get it in our room. It take up almost our whole room! The other thing is that it's really tall- dd just learned to get off our other bed by herslef, and she wouldn't try at all today! Good luck shopping and happy sleeping!

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback & advice! Keep it coming-- I'm going to research it all this week- compare prices etc.

Coyote, your bed sounds Awesome-- and it's true- you can't know a bed until you've slept on it...hmm....makes it little tricky. Furniture stores should have slumber party nights! HA!HA!
Old 02-06-2003, 05:59 PM

Yay country mom!!

We got a king size bed teh week before dd was born!!

It is from the Original Mattress Factory (there are several locations across the country...not sure if there is one by you)

Anyway, they make the mattresses right there, and it was far cheaper than anything else I could find, AND the king size mattress folds in half so you can move it around easier!!

I highly reccomend it!!

Marisa

ag Sage - my 2 mo. old baby girl who likes to lick everything (why does she do that?!?)
Old 02-08-2003, 08:18 PM

we have a select comfort King and LOVE it!! We all fit comfy in the bed! Good luck on you search.
Nikky
Old 02-08-2003, 08:48 PM

We can't afford a whole bed, but we're going to get a 3" pad soon. After research and some testing here and there we've decided for Memory foam (Tempur Pedic and off brands). It's expensive (I think a king set would go around $1500), but ex-treme-ly comfy, and you don't feel the whole thing move when the toddlers are twisting and turning all night.

When trying out a friend's Temp-Ped, I felt like the mattress was embracing me and giving me a soft place. Kinda like I imagine the womb to feel.... I've heard they can feel hard at first in cold rooms though, so I don't know what I would do if I lived in Quebec with a bad heater...
Old 02-08-2003, 08:50 PM

i love love love our king select comfort. can be spendy though but so worth it and they last 20 years.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:35 AM

We have a natural latex mattress which we are all in love with. My mother who has awful back problems and can hardly sleep on anything, slept on this mattress, without a boxspring, for almost two weeks and didn't have a single bad night's sleep. They are wonderful, although quite expensive. If you do look into it, make sure you look into the natural latex and not just latex.

http://www.nontoxic.com/latexmattress/naturalatex.html

Happy shopping!!

~Holly
Old 02-12-2003, 10:49 AM

I have a King size futon that I love. It's a Haley 2 (whatever that means), but it's great for the family bed because it's just on a low frame and dd can get up and down without falling. As an alternative to the mattress/boxspring thing consider a high end futon - one piece, last long - you can get all natural materials. We got ours from a place that had a showroom with maybe 50 different styles so we could try them out. I love that it doesn't squeak or bounce - I can't sleep on regular mattresses anymore! GL!
Old 02-14-2003, 07:14 AM

We bought a king when pregnant with our dd (she's four now). One thing to watch out for -- the hump in the middle caused by the ridge where the two twin box springs meet up! This was a very firm mattress, and my newborn would be up higher than my breast (made nursing a bit difficult!) with me feeling like I was falling down in the valley next to her. Now our bed has two hollows where we sleep with the ridge in the middle still being very high. Several other moms have told me they had the same problem. A platform bed was recommended to me.

It sure is nice to have the space of a king though!
Old 02-16-2003, 03:59 AM

We have a king-size Tempurpedic and it is heavenly! I've never slept so well. And there is plenty of room for all 4 of us and more!

User Tag List