It's been 6 yrs, what's new re: sleep-sharing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-02-2003, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 35 weeks with my second. My first is 6 years old. I am also a single mom. When I shared sleep with my oldest, I placed her on her side with her back against a pillow. The pillow was against a side-rail that was wedged between the matress and box springs, which were set on the floor, no frame. When she was older they were in a well-fitting frame. The bed I have now does not fit well into its frame and I am considering putting the mattress and box spring on the floor. I've read that it should not be up against the wall though, so baby can't get wedged between the bed and the wall, but how far away should it be? Also, I've read that I should not have a pillow around the baby like I did with dd, but baby could also get caught between the siderail and the mattress. So how do I keep baby from falling out of the bed? I really can't afford to go out and get anything new. I'm wondering if I should get rid of the box spring as well as the frame and just have the mattress on the floor so there isn't as far to fall. OTOH, what if baby crawls away when I am sleeping and gets into something?

I'm not really keen on having to get up and down off the floor. I like being able to sit on my bed, like I do a chair. I also like the storage space underneath, but that's not that big a deal. I've considered putting something on the floor next to the bed to break baby's fall. Sheesh, it's all enough to make me want to go out and buy a crib!! I do have a bassinet and I may just go ahead and use that for awhile until I get this figured out.

Anybody got any suggestions for me? I want to share sleep, but I want baby to be as safe as possible, too.

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

#2 of 2 Old 02-03-2003, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ava sleeps in whatever position she wants but usually in my arms. If I can manage it without waking her i drag her up to my head. And as for bed height I have to jump in and I am not worried. Even when dh isn't there.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page