Beds - where to go from here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-03-2003, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right now 6 month old ds sleeps between dh and me in our queen sized bed. We are feeling very cramped and want to expand, but are a little hesitant about springing for a king (and new sheets and new headboard, etc.). I don't have any plans to kick ds out of our family bed any time soon, but at some point he's going to have his own bed, so I'm wondering whether we should:

a) buy a crib and sidecar it? (Maybe one of those cribs that converts to a bed?) But I really want to be able to snuggle with ds and sleep close to him for nightnursing, so don't know whether this will keep him close enough or whether I'll have to pick him up and move him?

b) buy a twin and somehow sidecar it or put our mattresses on the floor? With the plan of having the twin become ds's bed when he's ready for his own? Or is it better to buy a toddler bed when the time comes?

c) Just suck it up and invest in the king? (or more likely two twins strapped together, since we can't get a king mattress and boxspring up our stairs)

d) Some other option I haven't thought of?

I'd love to hear what other families have done - what's safe, spacious, and not budget-busting?

TIA!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#2 of 10 Old 02-03-2003, 01:49 AM

Since we bought a crib before ds was born (didn't know we'd start him in our bed and keep him there!!), we decided to try the sidecar. It converts to a toddler bed, which will stay in our room until he's ready to have his own room.

What ends up happening is that ds starts out in the sidecar at about 7pm. He wakes up at least once before I go to bed, so i feed him so that he stays in the sidecar. When we go to bed, as long as it's not time to eat again, he doesn't wake up from the movement of our getting into bed. When he does wake up, it's time for the "other side" feeding, so I move him between us on the bed. Then I'm half on the bed, half in the crib--you know, so that ds can be as comfortable as possible! Throughout the night I just shuffle him back and forth on the bed, but it "feels" like there's more room since I can put my leftover body parts in the crib (arm, rear end, leg, whatever!) I prefer ds to be in bed so that I can monitor how warm or cold he is by how much cover I have for myself.

There have been many nights when I've dreamed of a king, but I really like our bed and don't want to spend the money. (We have a queen.) Especially since we already own the crib.

My sister is prego and I'm lightly encouraging her to co-sleep. Her in-laws want to buy her an expensive crib, she already owns a king, and is thinking about the arms reach co-sleeper or a bassinet. She'll just have to decide for herself. I've already told her that when she has that real little person where she can see him/her, her present thinking will completely change!
#3 of 10 Old 02-03-2003, 01:54 AM
Banned

Hi Jane!

This is what we do.

We have a queen and twin put together. So we are sleeping on both beds sideways. For sheets I took 2 sets for each(didn't want to ruin all my sheets) and sewed them together to create one sheet that would fit the new queen/twin bed. The queen top sheet seems to work fine for the bed. Our queen comforter we turn sideways and it works well too.

Hope that helps

BTW~ Having the queen and twin together will aloow us to continue to co-sleep once we have number 2(whenever that happens)
#4 of 10 Old 02-03-2003, 03:40 PM

I was going to say go for the king size bed: you'll never regret it.

But I think DiaperDiva's suggestion is even better!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#5 of 10 Old 02-03-2003, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

DD, did you strap the beds together somehow, and do they ever slide apart? Do you have them on the floor or on frames? I really like the idea of sleeping sideways on them (is the queen the "head" and the twin the "foot"?) I like your idea of sewing sheets together, too bad I couldn't sew if you held a gun to my head!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#6 of 10 Old 02-03-2003, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
we have a twin and a queen, too. it's actually one of the twins from my childhood ! it works out really well for us. much more sleeping area than a king and didn't cost us anything since we already had the mattresses. we put both mattresses on the floor wedged up in the corner of the room because we were worried about dd falling out. she's almost 2 now and knows how to climb up and down, but i don't know that i'd still feel safe with the mattress and box spring on the frame. she does a lot of wiggling around in the night and i'd be afraid she might wiggle out. we have the twin which wasn't as thick raised up on a little platform i built in about 30 minutes out of 1x4s (okay, there was a small price tag there ). i folded up a single sized fleece blanket and put it on the edge of the twin under the fitted sheet and then sort of lop the blanket and sheet over the crack between the queen and the twin. we just sleep regularly (heads at the head and feet at the foot) mainly on the queen, but dd can wiggle and sprawl over on the twin . sometimes she sleeps on both right on the crack, but because of the fleece it's really not uncomfortable. sometimes i end up there, too, but usually i sleep in the middle and give dd more room to kick w/o hitting me or dh and sprawl over on the little bed. if you can score a twin mattress on the cheap i'd recommend giving it a try.

we don't have them strapped together, but every other night or so i give them a shove and squoosh 'em back tight. they haven't come far apart enough that i'd worry about anybody falling through -- maybe and inch or two at most.

diaper diva, your sewn together queentwin sheets sound great! i guess that would hold them together, too.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#7 of 10 Old 02-03-2003, 06:51 PM

Well I just wanted to throw in that we are not little people and we fit very nice in our king With our babies in between us
#8 of 10 Old 02-04-2003, 10:31 PM

We have been using the crib sidecar...but it is no longer working for us. DD sleeps best in the middle, and I am getting sick of sleeping in the crib!
We also don't want to buy a king, but dream of one often.
This morning my mom did the most amazing thing. She offered to trade her king for our queen and then we can trade back in a few years. We always use their bed when we visit and they know we love all sleeping together in the king. Our queen is only a year old so DH and I could never justify buying a new king, plus we have a VERY small house and nowhere to put the queen. Now that I know we are getting the king I am so happy, it kinda makes me think I'd just want to go out and buy one if I wan't getting this sweet deal. Do you know anyone that wants to trade with you? Someone with too much bed and not enough people in it. King's are kinda a pain if you don't need it (hard to make the bed, take up space...) but perfect for the family bed.
#9 of 10 Old 02-06-2003, 04:54 PM
Banned

Just wanted to chime in: Dunno that I'd try this with a 6 month old, but we have a crib up against our queen bed, with the side rail on the crib on the side facing the bed off. There is a small gap between the crib mattress and our mattress, which we've stuffed with very firm king sized pillows. To keep the crib and the bed from getting pushed apart, we've put a queen sheet under the crib and queen mattresses, spanning between the two of them (it may not sound like it would work, but it does, and it also keeps the pillows between the mattresses from falling out onto the ground). It may sound like a bad setup, but it works very well for us. Most of the time, by the way, dd ends up sleeping on the pillows between the crib and the mattress, right next to me, so there's no huge distance between us.
#10 of 10 Old 02-07-2003, 07:21 AM

We are going through very similar issues right now! We are going for the king. I think it seems the most comfortable having one mattress instead of some pushed together. A good comfortable sleep is one of my top priorities right now! Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page