Please help!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-03-2003, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 19n month old is a VERY light sleeper. When ds and I come to bed, he wakes up. He watns to nurse and nurse and nurse. This is severely cutting into any extracurrcular activity for dh and I. Also, he wakes often. I put him to bed between 8 and 9 and he usually nurses twice before I go to bed at around 12 or 1. Then, I get into bed and he is nursing again. And I dont know about the rest of the night, but often at around 5 am, he wakes up and will nurse nonstop for two hours!! He also is very squirmy and reaches out and kicks dh, even if I am in between them. he nurses pretty frequently during the day, too. I have gotten in the habit of making sure I am spending enough time with him, and offering a snack first, and this has cut down on the day time feeding, but not the night. I am thinking of moving him out of bed, but he only falls asleep while nursing, and the second I move him, he wakes up!! Please help! i have been pregnant or nursing since 1995 and I am really starting to crave uninterrupted sleep!
#2 of 5 Old 02-04-2003, 01:11 AM

You may want to read Dr Jay Gordon's book that other posters have dicussed. He talks about night weaning and the family bed in a healthy way IMO.
I can relate though, my husband even left our bed to sleep with our son since he was tired of all the night nursing and kicking.
The upside, my 16 mos old is mostly sleeping thru the night now and it's getting better.
Good luck,
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#3 of 5 Old 02-04-2003, 01:40 AM

I finally decided that it was time to nightwean my ds at 18 mos. He never once slept thru the night before that. It was a lot easier than I thought and I did the Dr. Jay Gordon method. THe first three nights were the hardest, but I'm so glad we finally did it. I think 18 mos is not too much to ask to sleep from 11 pm to 6 am without nursing. I put him to bed at 8 pm and at 11pm he wants a little treat and that's ok with me, but after that, and until 6 am it's night night time.

Good luck!
#4 of 5 Old 02-04-2003, 04:18 AM

Boysrus - I seriously thought that I had written your original post. Except for the fact that my ds is 20 months old, this is exactly what is going on over here. It actually feels like things have gotten worse the past few months - it seems like it is harder and taking longer to get him back to sleep. I keep thinking that any day now he is going to sleep, but then he just wakes up again. I sometimes don't even want to go to bed, even when I'm soooo tired (like now), because I know that I will just end up nursing him back to sleep in the next 20 minutes, so I might as well get in some fun computer time until then.

We tried moving him to his own mattress in our room. I would lay on the little crib mattress with him and nurse him to sleep, but he would just keep waking right back up. After about 3 nights of this, I finally gave up and just took him back into our bed. We plan on trying it again soon.

I really don't want to nightwean, because I can't stand the crying, but it just might have to happen if something doesn't change soon. I swear I've developed a sleep disorder after almost 2 years of such erratic sleep. I love cosleeping, and EBF, and will do it again with the next child. But I am kind of counting on the fact that since I have done my time with the sleep fighter, the next baby will sleep better. This is the fantasy I choose to believe in. Of course, there may not be a next child if ds doesn't start sleeping better soon.

The only thing that keeps me somewhat sane is that dh gets up with him in the mornings. Dh leaves for work at 8:30, so if ds is up at 6:30 or 7, they get up, leave the room and shut the door. Dh takes him into the bathroom while he showers. Even though I'm only getting another 1-2 hours of sleep, it is the greatest sleep because I know I'm not going to get woken up, kicked, or have to nurse anyone. And on the weekends, I sleep until almost 10am! I sometimes feel bad that dh never ever gets to sleep in, but he sleeps more at night, so that's just the way it goes.

Anyway, I am still a cranky zombie most days, but at least I can function (pretty much) with my extra morning nap.

I am sending some magical sleep vibes your way.
#5 of 5 Old 02-04-2003, 09:07 AM

Boysrus, I feel your pain. You don't even know how much. The only difference, it seems, is that you have more children and I currently have only one. I can't imagine having to take care of more than one on this amount of sleep, energy, patience, etc.

I don't know what to tell you other then just KNOW that there are others like you out here. My DS sounds very similar to yours in the sleep department. Will wake up easily, doesn't tolerate being moved, etc. Now he's flailing and keeping us up a lot for that reason alone.

I have a big post about the craziness at our house in this forum. I don't know if some of the encouragement that I've received can help you, but please read it if you have time.

Hugs and good thoughts to you!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page