How do I help my toddler sleep in his own bed?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-04-2003, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some guidance here. I have a 3 y.o. son who has co-slept with us since he was a little munchkin. I bought a toddler bed for him, it is in our room, and he will sometimes go to sleep in it with a little prompting. He wakes up in the middle of night and crawls in bed with us. My problem/concern is this: my partner and I are going through a trial separation and she moves this weekend. I personally don't mind him sleeping with me when she moves, but know that it IS an issue for her. I'm concerned that if we do reconcile that the 3 of us in our queen bed isn't going to work. On another level, if we don't work things out, I still want to be able to help him learn how to get himself back to sleep and a bit more independent in this area. I am very AP centered, but this just isn't working for us anymore. Anyone have experience helping the little ones transfer into their own bed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-04-2003, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Although both my girls slept in there own cribs/beds since about six months on, we did have a period recently with my three-year old who didn't want to sleep in her bed but with us - she was going through the "scaries". What worked for us was to make her bed a really special place that she wanted to be. Instead of stories and books on the couch before bed, we all piled on her bed for books, songs, and stories and then she was already in bed and in a happy mood so we tucked her in. Of course, she has her special dolls and animals too that she cuddles with. Sometimes she wakes in the night and comes into our room, but I just carry her back into bed and tuck her in. Maybe tell her a little story and give her a list of good things to think about. It worked and she hasn't had any problems in several months.

So maybe this might help - hope everything works out.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#3 of 3 Old 02-05-2003, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep! I think making the bed extra special for him might help....maybe some neat sheets and pillow case that he thinks would be cool. Maybe some glow-in-the-dark stars on the wall right next to his bed. Maybe one of those little battery operated push lights he can reach.

Maybe putting his bed right next to yours for a while.

I would start with small goals also-like just getting him to go to sleep in his bed at night in the beginning....then work at him staying there a little longer...and eventually staying there all night.

I do know from personal experience, it seems they know when they are being pushed away...and fight extra hard to then stay closer to you.: It's never easy!

Good-luck,
mamapoppins

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page