Please share YOUR coping skills for no sleep! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2003, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have adopted a way of life to cope with my sleepness nights. While I am in the process of slowly nightweaning ds(18mos), trying to change the lack of sleep is often so frustrating,and it is easy to go down resentment road. Therefore, I find it easier to just deal with it. I cannot change it so go with it. I should add that dh works 40-60 hr weeks and we have no family in town.

Here are some things I do to cope:

While laying in bed....I pray...for energy and patience and alertness.

I make coffee(which I shouldn't do cuz it's bad for me) and allow myself 2 cups a day. Often this is done with 1 eye open.

If I had anything planned as far as errands or appointments to go to....I look at my list and unless I REALLY have to do it, I cancel and stay home! There is a market that will deliver groceries for a charge of $6 if I need it. This is totally worth it to me.

A phone call to dh at work to let him know I am having a low-functioning day and that he will be making dinner if possible, and if not,he will regardless take over with the kids when he arrives home-which I usually demand is ASAP!

If I have to make dinner, it is done early-as I usually run out of *juice* by 3-4 pm. No gourmet meals here-SIMPLE is my way to go!

Since the tv is on for only 1 hour a day....I will allow an extra hour on these days. This is during ds nap so I can try to rest then too.

And since we homeschool, I focus on reading to dd(6) and everything else gets left for dh when he arrives home-or waits till the next day. She has tons of things to keep her busy next to me without me really having to use my brain too much. No messy crafts or art projects allowed on these days. Nothing that would *add* to my day.

I tend to play lots of music...to kinda *help* me through my day.

I will call my sis or best friend and cry or seek sympathy. This helps-I return the favor for them when I can.

I do not answer my phone. No way. No how. Every call is screened. I cannot get into long conversations with relatives or friends I'm not close to-I just don't have the energy.

I enlist dds help to prepare every meal, and her help in cleaning up.

I do no house cleaning....I only maintain the kitchen,bathroom, and laundry if I absolutely have to.:

I exercise-but only for 30 mins-just long enough to help with my sleep and anxiety. I just recently discovered this..and it HELPS me get through the day.

I try hard to not think of all the *supermoms* out there. My kids are with me, and while I may not be the most fun or energized mommy....I put their care at the top of my list....and pour tons of love into them.

I lurk here for support and knowing that I am not alone.

I think of my kids away at college....and the resentment fades away. I KNOW this is such a short time in our lives.

I remind myself that I am LUCKY to have the life that God gave me-even if I'm dead tired.

mamapoppins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2003, 12:43 AM
bec

I am so impressed with your list!

Unfortunately, when I've had a tough night with dd (like last night), I tend to rely on the tv a lot more. She's almost 23 months, and not night-weaned.

We made an attempt for about a month this last January with DH putting her to bed. This was working out with moderate success (no magic buttons here!). The only problem is that he is trying to get a computer certification, so he can find a better job (a very high priority right now), so he is needing all the time he can get to study.

Which means I'm taking over bed time again. Which means she is nursing to sleep again. To top it all off, she is teething with her 2nd year molars (ouch!), waking because of that, and wanting to nurse all night long.

Thankfully, she is starting to get a bit more independent and capable of playing by herself for longer periods.

Thanks for the list, though!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 02-05-2003, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to add that I rarely get more than half way out of my jammies when facing these days....

AND that I couldn't have made it through these last 3 mos if it weren't for dh-he gets up with the kids EVERY Sat. and SUN. so I may sleep till my hearts content! Sometimes that's been till 10, sometimes till 2!!!!! Either way, he lets me sleep and doesn't wake me! He hasn't had a day to sleep in since last fall-early fall!

That's all!

Sorry to be so long!!!!

mamapoppins
Old 02-05-2003, 05:29 AM

thank you mamapoppins

User Tag List