Where to start on the family bed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-04-2003, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds (6 mo.) sleeps in a cradle right next to me so I can bf during the night. Sometimes he falls asleep with me in bed and so stays there with me.

Thinking about having ds in bed full time. We have an air mattress--would that be too soft to have son on, safety wise?

Also, should son be between me and dh, or just near me?

Any other advice?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-08-2003, 01:15 PM

Try and get the back issue of Mothering magazine, from 6 mos or so ago. The whole mag was addressing the family bed. Also read Dr Wm Sear's Nighttime Parenting, and The Family Bed, by Thevenin.

the mattress should be firm. An air mattress should be OK, if firm enough. Baby can sleep between you and dh if dh is not too deep a sleeper. If the air mattress is on the floor, this will solve the falling out of bed problem.
#3 of 3 Old 02-12-2003, 02:23 AM

At 6 mos of age I feel you have little to worry about. Your baby is old enough to lift their head, turn it from side to side, and to complain loudly if he is disturbed! I can't even imagine how any adult could roll over onto a six month old without some serious screeching or thrashing. Where to put DD depends on the height of your mattress - will they get hurt if they roll off? If so then put your baby between you and DH. If mattress is low to the ground, do what works for you. It's nice to be able to have some snuggles with your DH at night. I don't see any problem with an air mattress, so long as everybody is comfy.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page