Diaper changes & burping in middle of night?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-16-2006, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We started doing the family bed thing consistently a couple of months ago (we were doing the Arms Reach cosleeper before), and now my 4 month old DD is sleeping pretty well, from 7 pm to 8 am, nursing maybe 3 or 4 times during the night. So she's not sleeping through the night, but she's definitely not wide awake during the nursing, thanks to bedsharing!

Two questions though:

First, should I still be changing her diaper at night after one of the nursings, or am I keeping her from learning to sleep through the night? Usually, I change her at 12 and then again at 4, but now I'm thinking that it wakes her up too much. She poops in the early morning hours most often, but maybe it's better to risk wet or poopy clothing than wake her up.

Second, how important is it to burp her after each nursing? I always burp her during the day, but lately at night, I've stopped doing it so that she can just drift back to sleep. She squirms and seems unhappy to be woken up to burp, plus it wakes me up more, too.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. :
#2 of 8 Old 02-16-2006, 02:23 AM

I change anything poopy (which practically never happens at night) and stick on 45 layers of diapers to last through the night (really just a FB with a couple of inserts).

At 4 months I never burped at night.....maybe not even during the day, I can't remember.

I think by 4 months you can just put her to bed and cruise through feedings, catch as many zzzzzzz's as you can.

Are you side-lying while nursing? That can increase your sleep quality.
#3 of 8 Old 02-16-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuesliMama
First, should I still be changing her diaper at night after one of the nursings, or am I keeping her from learning to sleep through the night? :
I have to change my dd (7 months old) at her first waking (about 11 pm) or she will wake up with a rash :-( My twins never had to be changed at night after the first couple of months unless they were poopy. I think it depends on the baby. If she doesn't have a tendency to a rash, I would skip one of the changings (probably I would change at midnight and skip 4am) adn see how her skin does. If all is good, you may be able to skip the 12am change too.

Rach

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#4 of 8 Old 02-16-2006, 11:12 AM

We change DS halfway through his pre-bedtime feed at around 9:30 or so. Then I nurse him to sleep in bed and we don't change him again til he's up for the morning unless he's had a BM.

As for burping, it depends on how quietly he nurses. I mean, if he seems to be swallowing a lot of air because he's having a hard time with my fast letdown, I always try to burp him during night feeds. He usually gets super irritated and cries while we're trying to burp him. But I know that if the air doesn't come up at the time, it will just cause him discomfort later in the morning and he'll wake from that . There are times when he nurses very quietly and I'll leave him to fall asleep without burping. So I guess it just depends on how the nursing goes, though I try to disturb him as little as possible if I can help it, and he always falls asleep quickly either way.
#5 of 8 Old 02-16-2006, 11:41 AM

My DD used to always poop around 3 or 4 am, but since I started nursing on just one-side all night she doesn't poop until we get up in the morning. That has eliminated the need for changing. (Unless her FB feels really full, then I change her)

She's 4 mos. now and I haven't burped at night since she was a newborn.

You can always skip the change and burping and see how it works. If it doesn't just go back to it.

Good luck finding what works for you!
#6 of 8 Old 02-16-2006, 12:50 PM

I forgot to mention that DS now often burps on his own in the middle of the night after feeds, especially when lying on his left side. It's wonderful that he can do this!!! Maybe it's also a sign that he really does swallow a lot of air when nursing
#7 of 8 Old 02-16-2006, 01:50 PM

I don't do either at night for our 7 week old. I put on a heavy duty diaper for night time!!! I wait to put it on him until I know he's about to go out for the night, around 10, 10:30. Then I change him at his first real awake time, usually between 4 and 5 am. I don't change him after night nursing sessions, we side-lay and he usually passes right back out. There's no way I'm gonna wake him!!!!!

Since we side-lay, burping would be a major pain in the butt, so we don't do it.
#8 of 8 Old 02-16-2006, 02:47 PM

We've always changed DS a couple of times in the middle of the night because he pees so much that we've never found an all night diapering solution that works for him. I guess this would depend on your babe. You would just have to experiment! He usually doesn't wake up when we change him, but if he does, I just nurse him back to sleep.

As for burping, we never burped him even during the day, we didn't find out that we were supposed to burp him until he was already a few months old : so I can't advise you on that one! But it seems like it would be a lot of trouble in the middle of the night, and anyway, it just seems wrong to wake a sleeping baby!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page