True Sleep problems - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2003, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is now 23 mo.s and I fully realize that the envisioned baby I had at 4 mo.s sleeping through the night on his own is totally not realistic that maybe 1% of the baby population actually does this. He's been co-sleeping with us since birth. He actually did sleep 6-7 hr.s at night from 2-5 mo.s and then has reverted ever since to shorter sleep periods.

We've done the Dr. Gordon sleep method at night while having him sleep with us and talking him back down to sleep. Maybe something is going on right now b/c we've been doing it for months and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. He still wakes up a minimum of once a night whether I nurse him or not (which I usually don't unless he's been screaming for a long time).

i'm just wondering do kids keep waking up by the time they're 4 years old? I guess I'm really hoping that he'll be sleeping more deeply by 2 1/2-3 yrs which is what I've always thought but we've been using a variety of sleep methods. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2003, 07:31 PM

I expect that I will have to get up at night with them until I am comfortable with them getting up and walking around the house in the dark by themselves! In other words I don't ever expect them to sleep through the night. Most nights I get up to get a drink, go pee, grab some crackers, see what the moon looks like.... whatever.

My boys are 1 1/2 and 3 and most nights they get up 2-4 times for the youngest and 1-2 times for the oldest. As they get older they need less of me- I almost always have to move to ds#2 who just lays there and says "mama nurse" until I get to him, but ds#1 often I am only wakened because he has crawled in bed next to me and wants my hair. As they get older they also are better at going back to sleep. Like with ds#1 we can get up go to the lighted bathroom or get a drink of water and go back to bed and have a very short nurse (really less then 15 sec) and he will lay there and go to sleep. If I took ds#2 into a lighted room it would take 30 min to get him back to sleep or even just back to bed, but I am sure as he gets older he will need less of me too.

We haven't really done any sleep methods, rolling over and nursing every time they get up is just the easiest for me. I am sure they won't be getting up to nurse in 5 years. I also think that somewhere around 2 1/2 is when the oldest did start sleeping better or at least going back to sleep easily.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Old 02-08-2003, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Drewsmom

He still wakes up a minimum of once a night whether I nurse him or not (which I usually don't unless he's been screaming for a long time).
Why are you letting him scream for a long time in the middle of the night? Are you working on a cry it out solution?

According to the lead article in LLL's publication New Beginnings this month: "...when babies are left to cry, their bodies produce the stress hormone cortisol, which in turn makes them less able to relax and fall asleep."

The article goes on to rec these books (all available on LLLI's websie catalog, go to www.lalecheleague.org):

Sweet Dreams, by Dr Paul Fleiss

Good Nights: the Happy Parent's Guide to the Family Bed (and a Peaceful Night's Sleep) by Dr Jay Gordon

Nighttime Parenting, by Dr Wm Sears

No Cry Sleep Solution, by Eliz Pantley

sleep link

E Pantley

HTH!

User Tag List