Maybe you're keeping each other up at night? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-07-2003, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
Liz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just looking around here and couldn't help but notice that everybody has the same question: how do I get more sleep? So rather than respond to you all I thought I'd start another thread with my experience. Certainly won't apply to all but I'll throw it out there for your consideration.

My ds slept with us from birth. It worked really well for all of us when he was a baby but once he hit about 12 mos. he seemed to sleep less and less soundly. He would sleep like a rock for 2x 3 hour naps during the day but at night he tossed and turned. And because he couldn't sleep I couldn't sleep so I was tossing and turning, too. All this activity kept dh awake too. I couldn't bring myself to move him out of our bed so when ds was about 18mos DH took matters into his own hands and put him to bed in his own bed (he achieved this with a bottle, I always nursed him down). I don't remember the exact details but we all slept better and it was a painless experience for all of us. Actually I do remember it was hard on me for a few nights - I kept listening for him, he seemed so far away! Now he gets up and trots down the hall to sleep in our bed or calls me and I go sleep in his bed sometimes but at least by that point I have had a good 5-6 hours of sleep.

So think about it: are you and dear baby keeping each other awake? Maybe the frequent nursing is just baby trying to get back to sleep. You don't have to move dear baby to another room like we did but maybe a mattress next to yours would give you both some more space.

I know this won't apply to everybody but I hope it helps somebody.
#2 of 2 Old 02-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you are right. we just got back from the peds, and we were talking about the fact that our 5 1/2 month old wakes up every 2-3 hours. she said that most of the co sleepers in her practice are frequent night wakers. this makes sense because the more people in the bed the more movement and opportunities to wake each other up. she said that the "average" crib baby sleeps 6 hours at this age!
The past few night my husband has been sleeping on the couch so me and baby can have more space and he still wakes up but not quite as frequently as if when we are all crammed in together.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page