Back to the drawing board :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-25-2006, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is having a very hard time falling asleep the last two weeks. It almost feels like the days of colic we once had. I can't figure out what to do. She's almost six months old and for the last week has had bronchiolitis, which I'm sure is contributing, but even before that it's been very tough. It's like she needs to be exhausted from bawling her eyes out before she'll even consider sleeping. Our routine goes something like this:

-Give bath
-Change clothes, diaper, etc.
-Rock and nurse
-Baby gets fussy begins to cry
-Daddy takes baby and they do what we call "the baby dance" which is him walking around the house with her, until she gets very upset and wants mom again.
-Mama rocks and nurses, baby seems like she's calming..eyes closed, gentle sucking, but then BAM! eyes open and she tries to sit up in my lap.
-Give to daddy for another daddy dance
--back to mom for more nursing and rocking, baby seems calm, sits up again
-Everyone tries laying down in bed together
-calm baby, but not falling asleep
-baby starts to cry again
-Mommy does baby dance
-sits to to give pinky or nurse
-won't take it this time, cries
-Dad takes baby to dance, cries more
-Mom tries again, more crying
-Dad takes baby to dance, still crying
-Mom takes baby and gently rocks and offers pinky and breast baby finally falls asleep

This all usually takes anywhere from 3-5 hours each and every time.

I'm SO TIRED!!!

I can't figure out what to do or if there is anything I can do except just go with it. It's starting to really make me frazzeled. We're all falling asleep later and later (1, 2, 3 in the morning). DH has been missing school because of his lack of sleep AND because when my sleep becomes lacking it exacerbates my depression and he feels terrible leaving me. To be honest, in those moments I don't want him leaving me either.

I just am trying to figure out if there is something I'm missing here. Some extra step we might take. Some seasoned veteran advice. Some commiserating.

FYI: We breastfeed on demand, night nurse and co-sleep. She's also being treated for reflux through zantac Most nights once we get her to bed for the night we won't get out of bed for about 6-7 hours.

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

#2 of 6 Old 02-25-2006, 03:43 AM

When ds2 was about that age I had to sleep on the couch upright for about a week and even before that for a couple weeks he was really grumpy. Sleeping upright because of a cold. But then his first teeth popped out and now he's happy as a clam. I would watch out if it is teething givind baby teething tablets as most of them contain caffiene and can keep babe up. Hope that things improve for you soon.
#3 of 6 Old 02-25-2006, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

I feel like this poor baby is so full up with medicine. I wish I knew better ways to treat her, but I don't. Right now she has to have a nebulizer three times a day for her bronchiolitis and zantac for her reflux. Her neb has just been going on the last two days so I don't think that's what started this all. I know it can make some babies jittery and excited.

As for teething, we've been using boirons camilia vials. She loves them. She likes to help squeeze it into her mouth. However, I'm not sure how well it effects her long term. Mostly just in that moment I'm giving it to her.

I'm so frustrated right now. We thought we could move her into our bed at around 11:30. She seemed OUT. We were wrong. It's now 2am and we're no where near her falling asleep even though she was sobbing so hard, snot running down her nose, coughing, she won't relax! My poor baby I wish I could fix whatever it is for her.

#4 of 6 Old 02-25-2006, 04:03 AM

I'm sorry it's so hard when they are sick. She'll get better soon. I would say just to save some sanity that you and dh take shifts, if you could nurse her and hand her off to dh and then sleep. For an hour at least and then visa versa. It's hard to find the one magic thing that works. With ds1 it was laying face down across my knees and me jiggling them. With ds2 it was reclining on the couch with his head on my shoulder kind of bouncing my bum up and down. I hope that she gets better soon.

p.s. our dd share a birthday, only mine was born in 97
#5 of 6 Old 02-26-2006, 01:17 AM

it sounds like a big combination of things! time will help.

i am wondering if a later bedtime would help. is she tired when you are beginning to put her down?

we had to take the bath out of our bedtime routine. it seemed to wake ds up more then calm him down. he still does the 'pop the eyes open' thing every once in a while. we just get up and play and try again in another 15 minutes.

hope things get better soon!

kris
owen, 16 months
#6 of 6 Old 02-26-2006, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

She's definitely tired. We start before she's over tired, but she ends up there anyway. Last night we were trying from 10:30-3:30. Looooong night.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page