Need to share -- I love our family bed!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-12-2003, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My heart is so full today and I wanted to share with you all. I know so many of you feel the same way. I love our family bed! I love that every night, my whole little family is right there with me. It feels so safe and warm and comforting. I love that my little dd snuggles right up to me - tummy to tummy and rests her chubby little cheeck on my breast and throws her little arm around me. I love that I can hear her every breath (I *really* loved that in my SIDS paranoid early days!) I love waking up and seeing those big blue eyes looking at me. I even love it when she wakes up in the night and, with closed eyes, she roots around for my breast for a "midnight snack". I'm *so, so very glad* that I was stubborn enough to ignore everyone who told me not to bring her into my bed. They just don't know how wonderful it is.

Pardon the gushing. I just wanted to share!!!

Donna
Smitten mummy to Millie 7/13/2002
#2 of 5 Old 02-12-2003, 11:07 PM

Gush away!!!!!

I too love our family bed. When the three of us are snuggling together I think nothing in life even comes close to this. I also love how DD rests her tiny hand on my breast, and the way she roots around for it in the middle of the night, too.

I don't begrudge anyone for using a crib, but I often think that they are really missing out sometimes!!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 5 Old 02-13-2003, 11:55 PM

That sounds like a wonderful sleeping arrangement. Unfortunately, co-sleeping was not peaceful for my family. (I posted my sleep story under another thread.) My dd did not nurse well in the laying position and it was difficult for us to sit up and get situated. I found myself taking her to our recliner to nurse and then going back to bed only for her to wake up when I tried to get us in a safe position. She also did not always ease into sleep after nursing and would need to be rocked. In addition, she aroused easily. We tried several arrangements and finally surrended to a crib. Now that I look back, I probably should have tried again once she became a better sleeper and when we were able to nurse lying down. However, we do have an arrangement where her night wakings are attended to and everyone gets enough sleep.

Although your co-sleeping experiences sound wonderful and are the ideal for AP. From my experience, I strongly believe that you can still AP when using a crib. Also, I did end up sleeping with her some when she needed to be held for various reasons (often in our recliner!). I hope to co-sleep with my next baby.

Thanks for sharing!

Cutiemom
#4 of 5 Old 02-14-2003, 04:20 AM

I loved reading your story! Thanks for sharing! I know exactly how you feel. My youngest dd is 2.5 and I get a kick in the head every now and again, but I wouldn't change it for the world!
#5 of 5 Old 02-14-2003, 04:42 AM

my dd is 3 months and i work 4 days a week away from home. on those days, we hang out for about an hour in the morning and she goes to sleep about 2 hours after i get home. the only way i can bear it is by spending all night, every night, totally cuddled up with her. And dp is only an arm's reach away! and then there's the cats, too. so glad we're doing it this way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page