So tired it's painful! - Mothering Forums
Co-sleeping and the Family Bed > So tired it's painful!
RachelGS's Avatar RachelGS 12:23 PM 02-16-2003
This is the slowest-teething baby I've ever heard of. Her gums have been inflamed for WEEKS, and she's sleeping horribly. Last night she was up every 20 minutes most of the night. I have a nearly constant headache. I can't even muster the energy to feel frantic-- just bleak.

istamama's Avatar istamama 01:15 PM 02-16-2003
Hi,
yes, my 4 and a half month old has been doing the same - waking every hour and needing the breast to get back to sleep. If she's doing this at this age, what is in store??? Luckily it happens in bursts - one good night sleep, one terrible. i try not to take my irritability out on my husband. in the meantime, for yourself, you could try skullcap tincture for headache or rescue remedy when you can't handle it any more! that's what i do - and take a hot shower on waking to relax me, and a bath in the evening when dh comes home. hang in there, it can't last forever!
Istamama.
Pigpen's Avatar Pigpen 06:48 AM 02-17-2003
I'm sorry about the lack of sleep! I'll never forget what a horrible time that was for us, I was not pleasant to be around! Have you tried teething remedy? Boiron, Chamomilla worked great for my sons. It's more expensive than others, but I really noticed a difference. I hope you find a way to catch up on your sleep...
Bearsmama's Avatar Bearsmama 11:14 AM 02-17-2003
RachelGS-((((((HUGS))))))!!!!

My 13 mo DS has had THE WORST time with teething. He got his first at 9 mo and since then we go through some really horrible weeks and then we have a slight reprieve for a few days and just when we're getting some sleep again, it starts ALL OVER. Couple this with the fact that my child has always been "sleep challenged".

If it's any consolation, I really thought I was losing my mind a few weeks ago when DS was getting a tooth. No sleep, felt that we hadn't gotten anywhere in 12-13 months! I was at the end of my rope. I felt horrible, etc. Then, we miraculously turned a corner in the sleep department. I don't think we're done with this-BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION-but I do see now that it WILL end.

They have to get all their teeth sometime, right? Just know that there are so many of us moms out there feeling the same way. Hang in there!!!
MamaOui's Avatar MamaOui 11:26 AM 02-17-2003
We are in molar hell right now! Children's Teething Releif by NatraBio works well for my ds. RachelGS, I know what you mean by that constant dull ache. I am so tired that I put a bib on my mother instead of my ds when we were all in the kitchen. To be fair, she WAS sitting right next to him.:LOL :LOL :LOL

I never went through this with ds#1, so it's all new to me. During those times of sleep deprivation, I remind myself that 1) it will end and 2) my poor little monkey is in pain and I will do anything he needs me to do to help him be a little more comfortable.
tara's Avatar tara 04:18 PM 02-19-2003
I hear you, Rachel. Ugh. I have joint pain from sleep deprivation. I finally asked my doctor, since I didn't see it on any list of the effects of sleep deprivation, and she said, "Yup - joint pain is one of the symptoms of chronic fatigue, and I would say you're chronically fatigued." Drinking lots of water helps me. Tons of water. And getting out of the house. It's easier for me to keep my momentum up someplace crazy and overstimulating like the toddler play room at the community center. At home, I might lie on the couch watching Jackson play just wishing I could sleep, and that's no fun.

Hugs to you, honey. Some day it will be over and we can have a big 'Baby's Sleeping!' party!
chapulina's Avatar chapulina 01:32 PM 02-20-2003
Hi Rachel,

I totally feel for you and have been there/am right now there myself! Our dd didn't sprout a tooth until exactly eight months (had teething symptoms from about 8 weeks onward, it seemed - drooling, baaad drool stool episodes, crying,crying ,crying and nursing ALL night long, inflamed gums, etc..) and then in a month's time pushed out 6 teeth.

for me, the severe sleep deprivation was the worst- actually the day after a sleepless night is worse than the night that preceded it for me. My coping stratagies are to try to sleep with Amy during the day (even 30 minutes helps), keep my expectations for housework low, remember that this phase is transient and she will grow out of it, get support from other moms.. funny thing that my dh said last night that he feels so tired he can't really think well -- I said, "hello! that's how I feel pretty much most of the time!"
Up