Transitioning 15 month old from co-sleeping with Mom and Dad to co-sleeping with sis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-22-2006, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our ultimate goal is to get the two siblings (3 years apart) sleeping together. The problem is that the younger one - almost 15 months - takes and hour to "put down" to sleep - and the older one - 4 years old - finally now goes to sleep great on her own and usually doesn't wake up all night. We don't want to risk messing her sleep up. Are we doomed to wait until the baby sleeps better? That might be over a year!

My thought is that I will sleep with both of them for a few months and then try to leave them together when he is about 18 months old. He does wake up at night - but I think he is waking up because Dad comes to bed late and turns the light on. I suspect we are keeping him up and then I nurse him back to sleep.

Any thoughts? Suggestions on what worked for you? Any particular age or stage that seemed to work?
#2 of 5 Old 03-22-2006, 02:01 AM

My children are almost 5 years apart but they sleep together most nights. So the older is now 8 but the younger will squirm and talk and wiggle and most nights it doesn't bother elder, she just falls asleep. I think that for us when we first started we would have older go to bed by herself and then bring in the younger after he fell asleep because she'd sleep through anything.
#3 of 5 Old 03-22-2006, 09:23 AM

My 2 year old sleeps with the 10 year old alot. They go to bed at the same time when they do, and go right to sleep. It might be that the 10 year old is so much older that he's more "authoritarian" with the 2 year old. "It's time to go to sleep now." and that's that. KWIM? Sorry I'm not any help.
#4 of 5 Old 03-22-2006, 10:43 AM

I was kicking around this idea myself last week. We scooted man cub #4 (9m/o) into #3's (3¼y/o) bed last week when we wanted some more room for us in bed... And surprisingly #4 slept for nearly 5 hours with his brother... Which is a much longer stretch than he usually goes with us. Man cub #4 is still a little young to be kicked outta our bed and his bigger brother is a FLIPPING FLOPPER all night long so I worry about the little one getting an elbow or knee upside his little head, but the possibility of transitioning to his brother's bed is definitely a reality when the time comes.

I look forward to hearing what others have done in this type of situation. :
#5 of 5 Old 03-22-2006, 11:15 AM

i am doing the same thing! i went out and bought another toddler bed (identical to dd's todder bed), took the middle rails off, tied the legs together, and made a double toddler bed (it looks sooooo cute!!!) i'm going to try to put them down for naps together for awhile, see how that works. the problem is, ds (14 mo) still nurses at night, and i REFUSE to get out of bed to nurse , so he still sleeps with us, and probably will until he night weans. we'll see how it all goes. for now, i'm just getting them to love their beds, so when the time comes for them to be out of my bed, they'll want to go (yeah, i can dream, right?) the truth is, i love them sleeping with me , but at some point in time i would like a full night of uninterupted sleep (haven't had one since sept. 2002.) i'm interested in what other people have done.

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page