Bed-sharing vs. bassinet next to bed and swaddling issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-21-2006, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our son is 10 wks old...He's a joy at night, very little-to-no crying, but we are coming across a small problem.

Cameron startles himself awake so he has been swaddled from day one. We found that when his feet were swaddled, he would grunt and try to get out all night so we started wrapping only his arms, using a square waffle weave blanket folded diagonally in half (like a triangle pointed towards his feet). One of the problems with swaddling like this is that he will get his hands at the bottom of the blanket and pull it up over his head in attempt to get out of it. Another problem is temperature regulation, our temps here have been swinging from 40s-80s over the last 2 weeks. He either gets too hot wrapped up like that or he gets cold because his feet are exposed (we cover them with a seperate blanket, but he often kicks it off). The third problem is that the blankets seem to keep shrinking and Cameron keeps getting bigger.

When Cameron is swaddled, he sleeps in his bassinette next to our bed and wakes up at midnight, 3am and 6am and is bf at that time. Usually after hubby goes to work, Cameron sleeps the last hour in bed with me.

Because of the swaddling issue, I decided to try to have him in bed with me. DH and I have seperate blankets and we sleep in a king-size bed with quite a distance between each other (DH is SUCH A HOT SLEEPER, he gets all sweaty and gross: )...

So, I had Cameron in bed with me the first few nights this week. I had the comforter at about his waist and had him at around the level where he'd be able to eat without me moving him up or down in bed. The problem? I feel like I didn't actually rest at all both nights. Cameron sleeps very soundly, unswaddled with one hand on the boob and the other over his eyes. Then, he wakes up hungry, starts rooting around and grunts when he can't find the boobie, waking DH up and making him groggy... I have to roll over a lot because of back pain and taking Cameron from side to side is disrupting to both of us. The nice thing is that I don't feel like I really woke up the whole night like I do when we have to sit up and feed. The bad thing is that I don't feel like I really slept either.

DH doesn't care either way, except, he really would like to have Cameron sleeping on his own in the room next door by age one. I'm not terribly opposed to this, the room is close to ours and I really don't enjoy sleeping in the same room as him, he's a loud grunter and very restless.

Anybody got any ideas or experiences?

Thanks!!

Messianic mama to 3 boys, C (4 yrs), E (22 mths), B (newborn)
#2 of 2 Old 04-21-2006, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Babies are noisy sleepers, that's for sure! But they grow out of that. I also have found that there's a learning curve to cosleeping...it takes everyone a little time to get used to it.

I wonder in your case if it might be wise to side car a crib so that your ds has his own space, but can still reach out and touch you?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about what the future holds. Babies change sleep patterns and needs so frequently the first year. Babies have legitimate needs at night, and I think whatever sleeping arrangements meet those needs are okay, and are certainly not going to last forever! My dd went through a period of very rough sleep from around 7 months to about 13 months, and cosleeping was an awesome way to meet her needs and for me to still get sleep. Remember too that colseeping or sleep sharing doesn't ONLY mean that baby is in your bed. Our family has found that part time cosleeping is the best for us. dd starts out in her own bed, and I bring her to bed with us when she wakes. Some families find that having mom and baby sleep in another room for a time works, or having baby sleep in a crib in the parents' bedroom works...our motto here is Whatever Helps Us ALL Sleep The Most is the Answer.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page